Threadneedles, Autograph Collection
Ranked #225 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just checked out of Threadneedles and I already can't wait for my next trip to London! No doubt that Threadneedles will be the permanent choice.

We arrived with my partner at around noon time. Front desk staff were absolutely amazing, not the king of "robotic" staff you find in most big hotel chains but very friendly, courteous and quite efficient.

They were actually greeted us with a glass of champagne which we enjoyed under a breathtaking old glass dome! Although we were early, the lady on the desk could give us our room,so what a start!

Our room was clean, amazing bathroom with walk in shower and a bathtub. Liked the combination of old and modern (this is an old listed building the lady at the front desk said).

Then shower and off to London! The location is in the City which is rather quite durinf weekends but only 2 minutes from the tube stop which can take you anywhere!
Back after a long day exploring to find the most comfortable bed!

Next day breakfast was delicious,check out was very smooth, the bell boy actually run outside to get us a taxi and I'm still sad as I want to go back!

Thank you Threadneedles for an amazing stay.

Will definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John H
MichaelHewson, Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Jon H

Thank you very much for your recent review of Threadneedles.

We're delighted that you had a memorable visit and that all aspects of your stay were most enjoyable. The team appreciate all of our guests feedback.

We hope to see you back at the Hotel soon and look forward to showing you some more of The City on your next trip!

Kind regards

Acting General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Rochester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

As a Marriott rewards Gold member, we've been fortunate enough to experience some top hotels courtesy of my Marriott reward points. Having had an excellent stay in Paris at the Marriott Champs Elysees our expectations were high for Threadneedles, an Autograph hotel, that had recently joined the rewards scheme.
We parked our car nearby at the car park in Tower 42 but the roads were closed with some really heavy construction work going on, meaning we were diverted half way round the city first and then blasted with noise and dust as we made our way to the hotel itself. It would have been nice to have some forewarning of this when we booked...
The lobby and greeting were wonderful and having reminded the receptionist that we were entitled to certain upgrades and benefits, we went to our room, which was sadly rather bland. Considering that Threadneedles prides itself on being unique and special, I couldn't help but be a bit let down by a small, quite dark, very modern, rather drab little room. Having said that, it did have a really comfortable bed and a massive bathroom. Unfortunately, there was thick dust on the blinds in the bathroom, the basin was badly damaged and the toilet roll holder had a mind of its own! We had some lunch in the bar which we initially found unattended and then were served by a rather flustered but very efficient young lady. Our snack was good and not a bad price at all considering our location and the 5* status of the hotel. We slept well enough and our room was quiet. We had breakfast the next day and although we turned up quite late, the staff were happy to accommodate us and were very friendly and professional. There was a lot of food for the continental breakfast which couldn't quite squeeze on our small table, but it was all fresh and very nice - certainly no problem with the quality or quantity of the food provided. Teapots turned up without cups, then cups without spoons. We heard several people around us complaining, so it seems there had been a few problems that morning. I heard the waited apologise profusely to the man next to us, but apart from the minor issue of crockery and cutlery, we thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast. Checking out was fine - no problems there at all and the reception staff were exactly what you would expect in a 5* hotel.
As mentioned before, we got this visit free based on some reward points, so I really shouldn't have anything bad to say at all! Had I paid full price, I would not have complained, but I would have felt a bit disappointed. Having experienced other 5* Marriott hotels and felt thoroughly spoilt, I felt this one needs a bit of finessing to come up to the standards I have come to expect.

2 Thank Louise M
Dear Louise M

Thank you for your recent review of Threadneedles.

We are delighted that you had a pleasant visit to the Hotel and we do hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Your comments surrounding the local road closures are appreciated and will be reviewed with the teams concerned to ensure our guest arrival at Threadneedles is more enjoyable in such instances.

My apologies in regards to the maintenance and housekeeping deficiencies in your room. It is regrettable that we did not have the opportunity to address these items during your stay.
Equally, the situation which you encountered at breakfast are being addressed with the management team of Bonds restaurant and bar.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future so that you may have another pleasant and even more enjoyable, visit to The City. At such a time, please contact me directly so that I may oversee your accommodation requirements.

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Exceptional service and experience! From the little gifts and bottled water! To the free upgrade to a suite! I wish I could have stayed here for a month. The room was great! 2 flatscreens and seperate living area. The bathroom had a luxourious feeling to it. Staff made great recommendations for transportation and restaurant requests.

1 Thank Carl M
MichaelHewson, Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Carl M

Thank you for your recent review of Threadneedles!

The team and are I are delighted that you had a memorable visit and that we were able to spoil you with a Suite, for the duration of your visit.

We hope to see you again soon (hopefully for a longer stay!)

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed her for 1 night for business and booked through Lastminute as a Secret Hotel so got it for a good price

The question would be "Would I choose again if I had a choice". Probably not.

Dont get me worng the beds were sooo comfortable (best in a long time), the room great, staff helpful but it was a "hotel" and when I am in London I look for something with character and location which there are so many choices

It is not far from the tube but it is in the business district which on the weekend is not that lively and for me I am going to buy things for the kids and seeing some sights.

So if you are staying for work near by perfect. If not I would probably find somewhere with more character (like the Rookery for character refer separate review)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
MichaelHewson, Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear AndrewS1970

Thank you for your recent review following your visit to Threadneedles. We're delighted that your stay was most comfortable and enjoyable.

The City is an ideal place during the weekend for some historical sightseeing and yet still for escaping it all. With delights such as Spitalfields Market, Borough Market and Brick Lane all within walking distance, we've certainly plenty to do in the area. We're glad that you were able to enjoy London and with us being only a few minutes from Bank station, we're ideal for getting into the West End quickly.

Threadneedles heritage lies as a Victorian banking hall and hope that you got to enjoy the striking Dome lobby.

It's regrettable that you may think twice about staying with us again, however we do hope to have the opportunity at some point.

Assistant General Manager
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed one night at Threadneedles hotel during a birthday celebration weekend. The hotel was fantastic, and is definitely one of our new favourites. The highlights were really the public areas - the lobby and lounge area, with the most amazing stained glass ceiling and a huge modern flower display, and the restaurant.

Our room was very nice, and was well equipped, although the overall room size was quite small. We had views over Threadneedle street - so not exciting - but our room was quite light and airy enough for us. The marble-clad bathroom was very good, with a separate shower cubicle and a bath, and some nice fittings. The bed was comfortable and a good size, and we had no problems with any noise. A few nice features included complimentary still or sparkling mineral water, free newspapers, and a Nespresso machine.

We had breakfast in the restaurant, which was perfect for us - a good menu, delicious waffles!, a lovely room with a hugely high ceiling. The service was discrete, and we were not rushed.

Areas for improvement? We asked for a jug of milk for the room to have with our coffee, and we were delivered a large glass of milk which was quite hard to pour from! Maybe they misheard me on the phone. Also, we asked for more Nespresso pods as there were only three in the room - three more were bought up, but it seemed a bit stingy.

Finally, to add to earlier reviews - the road works seem to have moved further down Threadneedle street now so are no longer outside the hotel. They are very loud to walk past though, so I can imagine that when they were outside the hotel it would have been audible inside.

1 Thank Major_Jim_83
MichaelHewson, Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Major_Jim_83

Thank you for choosing Threadneedles for your recent celebrations. Your kind review is appreciated.
The team and I are delighted that you had a memorable experience and that you enjoyed the surroundings of all aspects of the hotel. I extend our apologies regarding the misunderstanding for your request, and please rest assured we are always pleased to provide our guests with additional refreshment services, such as the Nespresso pods.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future, perhaps for a future celebration!

Kind regards

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I have stayed here several times as my firm's London office just just a couple of blocks from Bank station. I've had great rooms, and I've had disappointing rooms. It's really been hit or miss and all at the same price. Needless to say, each room is unique. The location for my office destination is perfect. It's a quick 10 minute walk to the office. But the nightlife in the area is a bit lacking. It's pretty quiet around there. And on weekends, that whole area is completely dead.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Hogintx

It is always a pleasure to welcome our guests back to Threadneedles and we look forward to seeing you at the Hotel again soon.

We appreciate your comments about our location in heart of The City and hope to be able to show you some local sights and sounds on your next visit.

Of course, the team would be delighted to take note of your preferred rooms so that we may endeavour to have one of these available on your next stay, allowing for a more productive visit.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This small hotel with a good restaurant was the perfect location for business in the City. Arriving on a Sunday morning well before the room was ready, the staff helped us out. They were knowledgeable about what to do on a weekend and what interesting things were nearby. Room was comfortable, although my shower stall was smaller than a London phone booth. Wifi worked with no trouble. The bed and mattress was fine for me as I like it firm. The A/C was a bit dodgy given that the weather varied from cold and raining to warmish and sunny. All in all, the A/C was fine after a little bit of adjustment.
I was there June 9-11 and noticed no street excavation as Zoobeefoo commented, so perhaps they completed their work.

You are near St. Paul's church and the Bank underground station.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear KenNewYork

Thank you for your recent review of Threadneedles. The team and I are delighted that your stay was most enjoyable.

We’re pleased that we were able to provide to local insider information about nearby interests and with our ideal location there are many sights to see.

We look forward to welcoming back to the Hotel soon.