“Fabulous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #239 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

stayed with a friend for the weekend, the hotel is absolutely fabulous lives up to all its claims and the pictures on the hotels own website do not do the rooms justice (going by the room we stayed in).

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Andreas S, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Wow! Thanks for the heartfelt accolades. We work hard every day to make certain all our guests experience exceed expectations. We have just become part of the Autograph Collection which means on your next visit you can earn Marriott Rewards points, which gives you just one more reason to sneak back to London!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed at Threadneedles with my mother on reccomendation. The hotel is situated in the city and a great location for travelling in and around central London. We were greeted on arrival by very charming staff and even offered a glass of fizz by the manager to help settle in. Our room was extremely comfortable and great value. We did have a slight problem in that our air conditioning would not turn off however we were moved rooms straight away with our bags swiftly following behind us. All in all a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are thrilled that your stay at Threadneedles was a success. We are proud to announce that we have recently become a proud member of the Autograph Collection and will now be offering our guests Marriott Rewards Points for their stays. We look forward to your next visit. Please be sure to come say hello whenever its convenient during your visit.
los angeles, California, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks on business, it was a 5 minute walk from work and I was told was a top-of-the-line place. It is definately a small luxury hotel, very nice rooms but dated a bit and for an american travelling abroad it is on the smaller side. Service overall was very good, though the kitchen was very inflexible and were out of stuff! I worked late nights and more often than not I didn't make it in time to dine at their restaurants (Bonds) so I ordered room service, they had a dinner menu and a late snacks menu, I missed the cutoff for dinner by maybe 5 or 7 minutes and they wouldn't let me order from the dinner side so I experience the late snack menu more times than the number of options on the menu! Having said that, the food was very good, fish and chips were awesome (the fries were cooked perfectly), the club sandwich was one of the best I've had (though I had this a total of three times and it came a bit different each time). The front elevator smelled like cat urine which was very disturbing (I am pretty sensitive to smells), on the second week they put me in the back and although I didn't have to smell the cat pee you get a really pungent fried oil smell because you're really close to the restaurant kitchen, not sure which one was worse! The wireless internet was spotty and you had to go through an elaborate log-on every time you used it with a complicated password that expired every three days. One night I couldn't reach my husband back in the US so I called the front desk, they tried really hard to help me connect and even brought me a laptop and ethernet cable but didn't work, they fixed it the next day but overwhelmingly internet was a daily challenge.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelAround24
Thanks for the very candid feedback. During your stay we did have some new marble installed in our elevator which unexpectedly caused a very peculiar smell. I apologize that this was not appropriately communicated but am happy to hear that you were relocated to another area of the hotel. We really believe that we have something special at Threadneedles and have recently become a proud member of the Autograph Collection. Please allow me to introduce myself during your next visit to the hotel so that we might ensure we hit all the right buttons on your next stay.
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We found this by chance on the internet and were delighted to discover such a perfect hideaway in the heart of the city. The unassuming front door on Threadneedle St means you could easily walk by but once inside you enter the spacious reception area and the magnificent Stained Glass Domed Foyer area. We were very warmly greeted with a glass of Prosecco and a seamless check in. The hotel has a very intimate feel and while the room was rather small it was nicely finished with a magnificent bathroom and all mod cons. The only odd thing was the view out the window. . . straight into a very nondescript office on the other side of the inner tiled well, reminding us we were in the city. Once we shut the curtains we were back in the bliss of a delightful romantic city break.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We're delighted to hear that your recent stay was a success. Thanks for providing feedback, and we look forward to your next visit. We're constantly innovating and looking for new ways to surprise and delight our guests. Make certain to ask us about our new afternoon tea which will be launched in late Spring this year.
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed at Threadneedles Hotel for two nights in early March. The location was optimal for me and my husband - since the City is nearly empty during the weekend, it's nice and quiet everywhere.

(Honestly speaking, it was maybe a little too quiet - many pubs and shops around the hotel stay shut from Friday evening to Monday morning. Since our super-cheap rate at the hotel did not include breakfast, we were happy that the local Sainsbury's stayed open :) And the Jamie's Italian right next door was really nice for a dinner on a Friday evening!)

But, oh well. I know this is London, but I was not totally happy with the condition of our room - this is, after all, a 5* hotel. It was pretty clean, but in need of a bit of love and care. The room was really small - just putting your clothes on was a bit tricky with two people in the room. Both the pelmets covering the curtains were broken and the TV did not work completely smoothly. The bathroom door was nearly see-through (and obviously hear-through, as well, which is always 'cute', when there are two people in a small room), the shower door leaked water on the bathroom floor and the wash basin drain was not working too well. There was only one towel hook in the bathroom (nice towels, though).

Luckily the bed was really comfortable, we both slept well. And the hotel - especially the bar/lounge area downstairs - looked really beautiful. And stylish.

1 Thank nellcote
Thanks so much for your feedback. I do sincerely regret that the size of our room was not in line with your expectations. Please do let me know when you plan to visit us again, and I'll be happy to make certain we assign one of our more spacious rooms. Rest assured that we have already addressed the maintenance issues mentioned. Kind Regards.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at this boutique hotel in late March this year (2013) while the UK was struggling through a cooler than normal Spring. This hotel either had shut its boilers off early - or it's just not a building capable of dealing with cold weather. Upon arrival - my room was very chilly - and clearly had been that way for ages - all the furniture was literlally COLD. After 45 min of running the in-room HVAC at full heat - there was no appreciable change - so I called the front desk. A space heater was delivered in 10 minutes and finally I was able to take the edge off the chill. The guy who delivered the heater noted that he had just adjusted the building's heating system from 18 C to 26 C - but still I had to use the heater several more times over the next 5 days to stay warm. Late in my stay - I noted space heaters at work in the main Foyer as well.

As a Canadian - I can handle cold weather - and roll with it - so I wasn't stressed about this - but you might be - so I'd avoid this otherwise entirely adequate hotel in the cooler months, lest you struggle with the same heating issues.

Otherwise - my room was totally fine - not 5 Star by any means - but apart from a non-funtional mini-bar fridge that stank of mildew - all was fine.

It's location a mere 200 M from Bank Station was helpful - as I had meetings all over the city. Bedding and mattress were excellent - and the room was dark and quiet - excellent sleeps every night.

One additonal tip for road warriors - the desk mounted outlets don't accept typical, large bulky adaptors (due to a silly decorative "lip" on the panel where the outlets are - so taking a long a mini, three-outlet power bar will be helpful. I'd forgotten mine and had to do a good bit of "charging management" between phones and laptops etc - since several of the out lets in the room are of some non-UK standard type that didn't accept my universal adaptors.

Room Tip: Room 108 faces another building, no direct sunlight.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RallyguyTraveller
We did indeed face some severe winter weather in March which was an unpleasant surprise for locals as well as our guests. I am aware that over this period we had two rooms with heating issues, and both of these rooms have been rewired by our engineering team which appears to have resolved the problem. Please do let me know when you plan to visit us on your next trip to London. I'd like to make certain that we upgrade you in appreciation for taking the time to provide this feedback. I'm also happy to report that Spring has finally arrived in London!
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Wow! This is what you will exclaim as you walk though the unassuming front door of this hotel. The reception area is placed in the stunning domed Victorian banking hall and it is truly breathtaking.

From the get go you are made to feel welcome by the staff, who invite you to take a seat in the plush lounge area prior to checking you in. You are asked your preferences upon check in, for example, would you prefer still or sparkling water in your room, a small thing but my husband and I typically fight over who gets the one bottle of still water, leaving the loser with the gacky sparkling!

Our room was on the first floor giving us an up close and personal view of the intricacies of the stunning glass dome. The room was built for intimacy, from the dark red walls and dark mahogany furniture to the dimmed and quite frankly sexy lighting. The note in the bathroom invited you to order rose petals and champagne with strawberries, lets be honest here the whole experience screamed SEX, tastefully of course.

We opted not to have breakfast at the hotel instead taking the ten minute walk over the bridge to experience the foodie delights of Borough Market, a must have whilst you are staying here; as such I'm unable to pass comment on the food. We did however sample some of the wonderful Champagne and the amazing concoctions of the bar manager including the beetroot margarita - a must! The bar staff were knowledgable and seriously well versed in the art of Bar!

We WILL be returning, when and only when we can get a weekend babysitter again, if you catch my drift!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the raving accolades. I had to blush just a bit on the note about the Rose petals and champagne, but we do always hope that love will rekindle during visits to the hotel. I noticed that you enjoy the London markets. Not sure if you've been to Old Spittalfields Market but it is also just a short walk from the hotel and also a fun way to spend the day just to see another of London's open air markets. Also, we have some fun afternoon tea surprises which will be launched late Spring. Make sure to ask about it on your next visit.