Threadneedles, Autograph Collection
Ranked #221 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have spent 1 night in this hotel for Business purpose, overall the room was big (executive suite, being upgraded), the bathroom was small but normal for being in the city. The room was clean but there was a bizarre smell, not sure why. I was on the first floor and it was noisy as there was some human traffic in the hotel, and at a certain time of the night you hear the noise of broken glass.
I would not go back to this hotel as the price was too high for what you get, although the atmosphere and people are very nice and educated and good hotel location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
AndreasStys, General Manager at Threadneedles, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. All our guest feedback is very important to us. We are sorry that you did not seem to have a peaceful night. We have emailed you and hope that we can welcome you back to Threadneedles one day.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is my second time at the Threadneedles. It's a beautiful hotel in the Bank area of London. Customer service is always over the top and spot on. Turn down service cannot be beat. Always clean and very comfortable. On the desk in each room is a charging station that also includes a US style plug which is a bonus for me! The lobby has a great lounge area that is perfect for business meetings. Room service is great and timely. I've used it for both breakfast and dinner and been equally happy. The Bonds Restaurant is connected to the hotel and The Mercer is just a few doors down and delicious. The hotel is also only a block from the Bank Tube Station. It's a great spot if you're in town for business in the financial district, you can walk to your meetings.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Room 503 is a king room and has a small outdoor terrace. The suite next door shares the t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for returning to Threadneedles. We always love to welcome our guests back. We are very happy to read that you enjoy the hotel and we hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

It was my first time to stay at this deluxe hotel and I promise, this won't be my last. What a wonderful experience just a few footsteps away from the Bank underground station...you can even walk in only 10 minutes to the Spitalfield Market and all the other trendy places in the East of London. My hotel room was very cosy and warmly decorated, very quiet and nicely designed...and if you would like to have some buzz, just go downstairs to the busy bar with fantastic drinks and lovely bar food, or hang around in the amazing lobby which gives you an impression to be at someones homes...wooden walls with books and decoration - a wide range of magazines to flip through. And on top of all the staff was extremely friendly. In case you are not staying here, have at least a breakfast in Bond's restaurant....Congratulations to the whole team of this wonderful hotel!!!

1  Thank Eva_Maria_10

Thank you for choosing Threadneedles and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our location, the hotel, facilities and service standards.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Slap bang in the middle of yuppie heaven, the Threadneedles Hotel is a sumptuous glimpse of how the other half live. The service is impeccable, the furnishings exquisite (aside from some odd stains on the carpet); the bed a dream in itself, and the bathroom lovely. So why not 5 stars? The climate control simply didn't work - whatever the setting it just pumped out hot air, making the room stifling; and there was no off switch. And EVERYTHING had its price - e.g. the 'do not disturb' sign could be bought - for £20. Finally, breakfast at £22.50 each was more expensive than their two course dinner; a clear and cynical way of squeezing more money from the punter, who will always link bed with breakfast, but not necessarily dinner.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying and for your review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our service standards and your room. We are planning a soft refurb in early 2013, where our room carpets will be replaced. We hope that you will return one day. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel is excellent. I stayed for a week and will come back in my next visit to London.

The building is beautiful and the rooms are finely decorated with very good taste.

There are nice complimentary details that make the difference: amenities, shoe shine, internet, newspaper at the door, bottles of water, twice a day cleaning the trash baskets. Lots of magazines. Beautiful books in the room.

The service is excellent. Ladies and gentlemen. If I were the manager of an hotel I will take them as the benchmark, the standard of service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Wow - thank you for your very kind words. We are very happy to read that you had a wonderful stay and liked all the little touches and details around the hotel. We hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just spent a night at Threadneedles. Having originally reserved the Premier Inn at County Hall, an hotel I know well I found Threadneedles as a 'Secret Hotel' reduced to £150, compared with £179 for the Premier Inn. Wooed by the five star status I opted for Threadneedles. I ended up spending the savings and more on cabs and tube fares to get to and from the hotel.

Should have stuck with the Premier Inn!

The biggest drawback, with a caveat, is the location. If you do not need to be in the City, the financial district, then you are in for a long long walk, a taxi ride or (for us that weekend) a tortuous tube trip to reach the West End shops, theatres etc. No popping back to the hotel during the day to freshen up or put your feet up. The City is dead as a dodo at weekends and many of the cafes will be shut. The Underground station is very close but with closures and delays it took us an hour to reach the West End. It was raining and there were very few taxis available.

The caveat is that a ten minute walk across London Bridge, with wonderful views of Tower Bridge, the Gherkin and the Shard (Europe’s tallest building), takes you to Bankside, where there are markets, pubs and cafes. From here you can stroll along the riverside to Shakespeare's rebuilt Globe Theatre, The Tate Modern, the South Bank Arts Complex and the London Eye - arriving at Westminster Bridge, passing en route the Premier Inn at County Hall.

What then of the Threadneedle Hotel? Listed, apparently amongst the Conde Naste World's top fifty places to stay; I cannot imagine how it has achieved that accolade.

The building is fairly low key from the outside, easy to walk past, if being a trifle inattentive. It may help to know that it is next door to Bond’s restaurant which is easier to spot. Threadneedles boasts a remarkable domed lobby lounge, quite splendid. For us that was where the splendour ceased and the mundane, albeit ‘five star’ mundanity commenced.

The welcome was polite, efficient and not unfriendly. There are but three floors and thus the lifts are efficient. Our standard double room was adequately sized, fitted out to the level you might expect, but no further. A single armchair required that we had to take it in turns to relax, there is a safe and mini bar, priced for the wealthy or profligate.

The bed was comfortable, lighting adequate and hanging space sufficient. The bathroom was small and a little chilly with, I am told, good quality toiletries. For £15 they will provide ‘for the lady’ a glass of champagne and rose petals to sprinkle in the mundane bath - we eschewed this extravagance.

The wifi was weak and intermittent, I gave up trying to connect.

There is a TV, and one may order a ‘movie special’ of popcorn and ice cream for £15. The drawback is that the TV is no larger than a postage stamp and offers a less cinematic experience than the recently installed street trash cans which have advertising and information screens built in to them. We denied ourselves this indulgence.

A remarkable feature for the UK is that the array of power outlets includes a US type socket. Can I really be so desperate for something to praise?

And finally, the nadir of this room. Maybe in a spirit of modern liberalism? Maybe to demonstrate a penchant for the ‘Avant Garde’? the door to the bathroom is partly made of clear glass. My worst nightmare.

The sole armchair is placed in such a position that its occupant has little option but to look straight towards this door. I have been married happily for 36 years to a remarkably tolerant woman. There are however elements of my daily life for which she does not wish to secure a ‘ringside’ seat. The sentiment is mutual. Of all the doors in all the joints in all the hotels, why make that one see through? For this reason alone I shall never return to Threadneedles.

On the other hand, the wonderful Premier Inn at County Hall......

Room Tip: Try the Premier Inn at County Hall
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank KevinTurvey

Thank you for staying and for your review. We are sorry that our location did not meet your expectations. Plans are underway to upgrade our wifi system and so this should increase speeds and avoid future problems. If you do ever wish to stay in The City, please do contact us as we would love to welcome you back. We do understand that some people prefer the West end as a preference.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at Threadneedles on a trip to London and its just as good as I remember it. My partner and I selected Threadneedles based on a very positive experience in 2010 which can be a bit of a risk in some cases as the hotel has to compete with the (very high) standard it set last time we stayed. I'm glad to say it did with the public areas as beutiful as I remembered them and our room was excellent and very spacious. In places the furniture looked as if it were getting a little tired, but nothing was shabby or broken as can often be the case in London hotels (including I might add some of the 'best' establishments) the cleanliness of the room could not be faulted and in any event I understand that many rooms are being refurbished to a new, more contempory style. Overall an excellent stay and I can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank LP247

We are delighted that we met your expectations 2nd time round and hope to welcome you back many more times in the future. Plans are already underway for a soft refurb in early 2013, which we are all excited about at the moment.