“Room oke-ish, breakfast bad”

Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South
Ranked #458 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Room oke-ish, breakfast bad”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

In short the good things: clean, friendly staff, wifi free, supermarkt and burgerking close by as well as tube.
Worse or bad: bed was hollow in the center, breakfast since no cheese and meat for on toasts / no bacon / croissants were not fresh and out of order at some moment / knife not sharp / no chocolate butter nor peanut butter.
Not to go back again

5 Thank Ivo L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Ivo L,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Arabic first
Peterborough
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed here while working in the area, unfortunately the Premier Inn was full so had to stay at this Hotel
Be warned if you have a vehicle the car park is shared with residential flats and you have to be careful where you park.
The staff I encountered were unhelpful and acted as if they could not be bothered
The food was appallingly bad, I have stayed in Holiday Inn's before on several occasions and always found them to be really good, this one has definitely slipped through the net.
On the plus side I was lucky as I only had to stay here for one night and have already made sure my Company do not use this Hotel again
The room was adequate although the area is noisy and you may have trouble getting a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else instead
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank tincantat
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear tincantat,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the food selections prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Conveniently situated opposite Colliers Wood underground station. Hotel was clean, and front desk staff were welcoming and helpful. Room was clean. and furnishings were in good condition. Bathroom was spacious, well lighted and clean. Air con reset itself, so had to monitor its temperature setting every so often. Secure underground car park cost £10 per night, which I thought was reasonable. There were sufficient parking bays available for guests. Outside noise was quite high - not completely blocked. Also, my room was unfortunately situated opposite the lobby exit on the corridor, so lots of noise from other guests using the corridor. But I had booked the cheapest room... All-in-all, reasonable value for what I paid.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is situated far from the lobby exit on the corridor!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Marco B
Godshill, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have stayed at many Holiday Inns across the world and I have never had it intimated that I am lying before. I have been a Priority Club member for many years.

First the 'good' bits. Easy to find. Clean,

Now, being disabled I needed to park to check in, the width of the disabled bay at the side of the hotel was laughable (well if you wished to open a door and get out of the car!) There are several steps from street level to Reception. Check in was pleasant enough and on the way out to the car to put it in the basement parking garage I noticed a lift from the entrance up to reception which I had missed on the way in.

As had been previously mentioned by another guest reviewer the columns in the centre of the hallways made negotiating with a walking aid and luggage extremely difficult.

Our room was spotlessly clean and a nice enough environment, although in my opinion a little more 'cosy' than others where I have stayed. It was at the rear of the hotel so a nice quiet view.

We put the kettle on whilst we unpacked and I notice there were no glasses or plastic beakers in the bathroom. When it came to making a hot drink there were 2 packets of tea, 6 packets of sugar and that was it. I made my way back to reception and went to the breakfast area where there are normally some supplies of milk etc. Nothing except a notice to say that cups of tea or coffee were available from the dispenser at £2 per cup - pay at Reception!!

I was approached by a male member of staff, perhaps even a manager, and I told him my problem, he replied 'oh yes there are (milk and coffee) they are on a shelf under the TV' to me, this implied that I was lying, or indeed, that although he did not at that time, know my room number, he had 'personally' visited each room in the hotel to confirm that the required items were in place!. I did not persue this point as I was extremely shocked and upset by his accusation and tone. He said I would definitely find the tea making items on a shelf under the TV which incidentally they were not, they were on a shelf on the opposite corner of the room! He then continued that there should be plastic beakers in the bathroom (as indeed I know from previous visits to this hotel chain) I said there most definitely was not and he grudgingly gave me 2 glasses, asked my room number and said he would contact housekeeping.

I heard no more on these subjects, went back to my room and had a cup of black tea.

Upon return to the hotel later that evening we found a small supermarket almost opposite the hotel where we were able to buy milk and supplies for several hot drinks for under the £2 per cup being charge in Reception.

I was very upset for the rest of the day and did not enjoy the show we had come to see as much as I had hoped.

I know that once one thing 'goes wrong' we tend to notice other small matters as well and I move on to the breakfast. There was nothing really wrong here except for a few minor 'moans' There was only a choice of 4 'plain' cereals, none of which were to my taste and the lack of bacon was a shame.

My own personal distress with this hotel will stop me recommending it or returning there ever again. As my own choice of airlines says at the end of each flight 'We know you have a choice and we work hard to ensure you fly with us again' sadly not so with this venue.

My infrequent stays at a Travelodge have provided more 'small items for your convenience' than this hotel. No amenities in the bathroom, no pen to go with the paper pad etc.

My tip - take an electrical extension cord if you want to use more than one personal device at a time - you boil the kettle or use the table lamp but not both at the same time.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for one at the back - I requested accessability as I am disabled but I was on the 2nd...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Islandgirl060
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Islandgirl060,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during your stay with us. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights for work. Disappointing room (given twin opposite lift) given is as there a few nights, shower lacked strength, hairdryer was useless, air con unit reset itself during the night so not the best of stays. However, free wifi always a bonus (even though you have to get a special login to use it and it kicks you off regularly) and good choice of tv channels

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear rotelharp,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced over the room's condition. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed in this hotel in a family room for one night. I thought it was excellent - the hotel was brand new inside and really spotless, reception was clean and the staff were very helpful as well.
Found a parking place nearby which meant not using the car park, excellent location with tube station across the road. No noise in our room which was at the back.
Room was excellent - TV, kettle, full length mirror, plenty of towels, good shower - with shower gel/shampoo provided- I have stayed in 4* hotels that dont even manage to provide these basics!
The only downside was I had to share a sofa bed with my sister which was uncomfortable!!
I really enjoyed the breakfast - I had loads - beans on toast, cereal, a muffin, pan au chocolate a coffee and orange juice and I thought it was good!
Free wifi is a bonus as well. Will definitely look out for rooms in this hotel in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sun_city_girl84
Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights on a recent trip to London. It was the second time I'd stayed at the Holiday Inn, Colliers Wood and if I'm honest it wasn't quite how I remembered it!

The hotel has been extended and refurbished since the last time I was there. Our room was in the new part and there it was pleasant enough but being at the front of the hotel it was rather noisy - just how many sirens can there be during the night? On my last visit my room was at the back of the hotel and it's amazing how much quieter it was.

Location wise, the hotel is just across the road from the tube station which is handy, there are a couple of restaurants locally, the pub next door was a great place for a drink and there are a few handy shops in the vicinity. That said, Coliiers Wood wasn't quite how I remembered it from my previous visit and next time I couldn't get a hotel in central London I'd look elsewhere before coming back.

Room Tip: Rooms round the back are much quieter!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Stieglmeister,

Thank you for taking the time to write our property a review. We are happy you like our location. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We apologize for falling short of your expectations especially with the noise challenges you encountered. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

We value you as our guest and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again in the future.

Zelyn N
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Clapham / Battersea
Pelican London Hotel and Residence
Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon
#452 of 1,069 in London
Clapham / Battersea
Holiday Inn Express London Wandsworth

Been to Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South? Share your experiences!