Stayed 2nd/3rd March 2013 – only paid £49/£52 per night for 2 people in modern recently refurbished en-suite room with breakfast. We felt this was good value. Comfortable twin beds. Requested and received quiet room at the back on 2nd floor – we were not bothered with noise other than bins being emptied one morning. Friendly staff.
Enjoyed breakfast choice as usual. People should not expect full English or Continental as Holiday Inn Express group make it perfectly clear that it is a selection of juices, fresh fruit, cereals, muffins, toast plus sausage/beans/scrambled eggs. If you want full English go to Holiday Inn or Premier Inn and pay more money – you takes your choice.
Attractive, modern and recently refurbished breakfast/bar area.
Convenient position opposite Colliers Wood underground station which is on Northern Line and handy for central London. Several restaurants/cafes in area – staff recommended local Italian (menu looked good) and Indian but we went to cheaper Fayre & Square pub (turn right out of hotel and across the road.
Secure car park but only 10 spaces for 139 rooms (but you can park in nearby residential streets opposite to the left – free off peak, saving yourself £10 a night. Car park entrance to side of hotel – first spaces you come to with metal bollards belong to local flats not the hotel. Need to check in to hotel to get card to operate car park door. You have to go past these bollards and take a sharp turn right to back.
Room not warm enough – would’ve contacted reception if staying in room longer.
Plastic rucked up mattress cover made me sweat as previous person reported.
Main complaint: fire evacuation procedures left a lot to be desired if not downright dangerous. On the Saturday morning fire alarm went off. Staff member in corridor said false alarm. Then another member said it wasn’t and we should get out. When we got downstairs to our astonishment customers were sitting eating their breakfast with the alarm still ringing. I spoke to the receptionist who also said it was a false alarm so I proceeded to get breakfast items. Then a 4th member of staff said alarm showed a fire in an “alley” so we were all taken outside. All communication between staff and public then stopped. A fire engine pulled up and firemen went in with oxygen cylinders on. After some time they returned to the engine and customers started to drift back inside. I saw 2 people go back up in the lift but at no time did we hear any official statement that it was safe to return. Chaos then ensued in the breakfast area as there were so many people. Mugs, glasses, milk, orange juice ran out. But unlike what previous reporter said breakfast was available but understandably we had to be patient. The next morning the receptionist said someone smoking in a bedroom had triggered the alarm!
We would definitely stay here again as overall we were happy and hopefully management will have improved their fire evacuation procedures/communications. If in doubt get out and mind the pillars (decorated with London scenes) in the middle of the corridors on your way!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether your journey to London is for business or pleasure, Express by Holiday Inn London Wimbledon South is the ideal base.A modern hotel conversion with 83 air-conditioned, non smoking, stylish, modern bedrooms all with TV, tea/coffee making facilities, power shower. Situated opposite Colliers Wood underground station on the Northern Line, journeys to Waterloo are only 20 minutes away and to Leicester Square 30 minutes. For guests travelling from Heathrow or Gatwick by car, the A3 link to the M25 makes the journey from the Airport 40 minutes. The hotel has a secured underground car park, the charge per night is 7.00Our hotel bar is open seven days a week. We offer takeaway services from the local restaurants and you can dine within the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and IHG so you can book your Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South Hotel London
- Holiday Inn London
- Holiday Inn Express London-Wimbledon-South England