“Good location, BUT hotel ruined our london trip”

Hyde Park Court Hotel
Ranked #943 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. Ordered a double room, instead we got 2 single beds. The mattresses were worn to death!, meaning I woke up with back pain from the springs-let me tell you they were really shot mattresses, even at £60 a night I wanted a comfortable bed at least. The rooms were covered in hair, and the carpets looked like they hadn't been hoovered in decades- I mean I wouldnt mind a dated looking room as long as it was clean!. The showers were cold and the en suite is a walk in cupboard. Overall I have learnt a lesson, if your going to have a budget trip to london, its worth paying extra money for a comfortable hotel, its what will make your trip memorable and not a disaster.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The outside facade is not too bad with the location in a nice London square situated within easy reach of Paddington. That's where the good parts end. We had a room in the basement which was tiny ith no windows, and constant noise from the underground which appeared to be running in the next room. We were also next to the breakfast room and were woken up at stupid o'clock by staff preparing for breakfast. Cleanliness was not paramount and generally I would never advise anyone to stay in this place. Probably the worst place we've ever stayed throughout the world.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernard R
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I recently wrote a bad review about another hotel and how it was the worst I'd ever stayed in... This one was worse. This is officially the worst hotel I have ever and the displeasure of visiting. in fact it was so bad, I couldn't even bring myself to sit on the bed let alone stay the night. I promptly left and booked to stay at the Danubius hotel down the road. for £125 a night I had a single room (well let's just say it wasn't really a room it was a hole with a bed in it) the room was utterly filthy, smelled of damp and quite fankly wasn't fit for human occupancy, in fact you wouldn't put your dog in there. In fact I'm shocked that the owners run this hotel. I'd be utterly embarrassed and would have closed down refurbed (actually it needs rebuilding) or sold the building. Seriously DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL. I honestly do not know how they can call it a hotel. It's a joke. The worst part about it, was that the man in reception is actually quite pleasent and I felt horrible saying to him "I cant stay here, it's filthy. I'm going somewhere else"

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kymbilli
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Helpful staff 24/7 with a good breakfast. A quite small room with no windows' but we stayed in the basement. Smelled a little tobacco.
Its about 15 minute walk to Oxford street and 10 minute to madame tussauds.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I don't often write reviews but feel it is deserved where possible....where do I start with this place ???

I did have to go on business in London on Ascot week and finding somewhere at short notice was difficult at best. All London prices that week were inflated (I paid £135 per night for this place which should be £50pn at best).

Room: - Squalid, dirty, small and in the basement
Hotel: Poor staff, currently under VERY noisy renovation
Location: Good if you like Paddington (Only 5 mins from station)

Negatives:
on my first day I arrived at around 4.30 PM very tired after a long journey so decided to have 60 mins sleep - rudely awoken by a massive hammer drill outside my window which did not help my headache - told to pack on morning of day 2 as I may have to change room.

Day 2 -Up at 07:30 - packed (did not have to change room), went out for a brisk walk to get a coffee, stood outside for 20 mins on return as could not get anyone to let me in despite ringing bell and calling hotel 3 times with no answer.

The room as said was basic - I had to put up the shower pole as it fell down to stop the (kind of shower room flooding)>

Window lock on basement room was nothing more that something I would NOT put on my garden shed.

You get no front door key and reception seems to shut between 18:00 and 09:00 so if you go out between these hours it is probably best to wedge the door open or sit in the park opposite until they can be bothered to let you back in.

I did not take advantage of the breakfast due to worries about contracting a life threatening disease

Roasting hot but could not have window open due to heavy renovation works and fear of 'guests' joining me. Surprised that I did not have rats or cockroaches sleeping in with me in the morning !!!

Bathroom is falling to bits

Paddington underground is right underneath so every 5 mins the whole room rumbles and shakes

Positive
Bed was reasonably comfy (Sheets and blankets) and were made up every day.

Summary
Other than that, I would say that if it was not such a historic building, the best thing the owners could do in the interest of public safety would be to demolish the place.....

Safe to say I will in not in any doubt be staying here again in my life - poor show and please don't not book unless you really are on a tight budget - Holiday inn is a much safer bet where you know what you are getting.....

Thanks

MW

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I booked my mother into this hotel for 1 night, the room was £60 for a very small double. The hotel staff were not very welcoming, the room was not ready on our arrival. When we came back later we were disappointed with the room, it was dirty and the bathroom was so small that the 'en suite' was a tiny cramped room with a toilet literally right next to the shower, if you sat on the toilet you were touching the shower curtain. Also we asked if they had WiFi over the phone and they said yes, there was no mention of a £5 charge! There was no heating in the room and no extra blankets, my mother went to ask for another blanket and found the man on reception asleep behind the counter on the floor. All in all very bad value for money as the room is actually £65 as most people expect WiFi to come free, I have stayed in spectacular hotels in London for only £10 more. This was awful!

Room Tip: There are plenty of other hotels on Norfolk square, have a look on google maps, ring around and get...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Don't stay at this hotel, its the worst hotel I have ever stayed In. My wife and I paid £160 for two nights at this awful place. The room we were allocated was behind the reception area, the 'en suite' was horrendous. The shower & sink both blocked up whenever used, the carpets were filthy, i wouldn't let a dog sleep in there. We requested to move rooms and were turned down. Absolute rip off and if you have any sense do not stay here!

• Stayed: June 2013