“Close to Oxford Street, clean comfortable & reasonable”

Lincoln House Hotel
Ranked #233 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Dunmow, Essex
“Close to Oxford Street, clean comfortable & reasonable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We needed a reasonably priced hotel for 1 night during the Olympics for 4 adults and found this one online. Centrally located and not expensive for the family room (even during Olympic Games).
Was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was clean and well-maintained. Though it was hard work climbing 4 flights of stairs on a hot day the room was comfortable enought with a double and 2 singles. Air conditioning and shower-room.
We did not have breakfast as off early in the morning but I was served a complementary cup of tea while waiting to check-in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was here for a few nights during the Olympics and was not impressed. The room was tiny but I expected that.
The front desk was not exceptionally friendly but not rude either.
However the last night of my stay I had locked the dead bolt to my room. It would not open in the morning and the door would not unlock. A staff member had to come up and try to open it but with no sucess.They ended up having to pass me the tools under the door and walked me through how to take the lock off the door so that I could get out. Now I do understand that these things can happen. However as a former employee of the hospitality industry I feel some sort of compenation should have been offered to me for this inconvience. Even a free breakfast that morning would have been better than nothing. I was barely even given an apology for what happened. I worked front desk for Fairmont Hotels and Resorts as well as a smaller 50 room hotel for several years and we never would have never dreamed of letting a guest who had been locked in their room (and had to disasemble a lock themselves) walk away without apoligizing profuesly and offering compensation of some sort. In the Hospitality industry it is not always possible to prevent these things however guest satisfaction relys on proper resolution of these problems and ensuring the guest still leaves feeling taken care of. I did not. The customer service here was very lacking.
After I cheked out of this hotel I went to another hotel in London in a nearby area and paid far less and the customer service was exception and made all the difference. I really suggest you work on this.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jan B
LincolnHouseHotel, General Manager at Lincoln House Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I am very sorry you were disappointed with your stay. I would like to assure you that we take all negative feedbacks very seriously. Having looked into this matter I can assure you that in spite of the busy morning (when the accident happened) we tried to assist you as soon as we could. As you well said, things can happen and our maintenance person tried his best to be at your assistance to unlock your room as quickly as he could. Because the lock was jammed we had two options : one was to break the door which it would have taken time and you’d have been inside the room for longer period, second was to open the door as soon as possible and for that we needed your help. We apologize that you had to go thorough few minutes of DIY, but at that moment we considered it to be the quickest option to get you out.I am disheartened by your comments on our customer service. If you read the great majority of comments by our guests, we stand out for our cleanness and customer service. The maintenance person, who has been working with us for 8 years has some of the best reviews from our guests, did apologize to you at the time and our receptionist did so when you checked-out.However you were quite happy to be released from the room in such a short time and you were laughing in good spirit, therefore we didn’t feel that you were expecting a compensation. The impression you gave us was that you considered it as a situation which can happen.Should you been unhappy in anyway we would have tried our best to offer you a compensation.I apologize if we couldn’t meet your expectations. We shall try harder the next time, though we are already pleasing the great majority of our guests; not a mean achievement by any measure.
Manager,
Joseph

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

united kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed at this great hidden gem of a hotel, rooms were very clean, location excellent, close to oxford street & shops, Restaurants.
free WIFI worked in rooms, staff on reception were excellent & friendly.
The Staff in the Breakfast room are a joke, very forgetful, unfriendly, they take your order then nothing arrives, your waiting ages,when prompted they say oh! sorry, i'll order it now, keep away from the cheap breakfasts / evening meals "EAT OUT"
The only thing that lets this hotel down is the staff who serve breakfasts.
Apart from that it's great - we would stay here again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank katafanatic
LincolnHouseHotel, General Manager at Lincoln House Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Lately we have recruited a few staff as a back-up for the Olympic Games. We naturally try to do our best, but sometimes we go wrong with our selection of the staff. The staff in question has been giving a warning and he feels sorry for his behaviour. However I am glad that you are happy with the remaining 14 staff who you found to be excellent and friendly.
We look forward to seeing you again shortly and thank you for taking an interest in our hotel and for being objective in describing our hotel.

Manager
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Last minute booking at a great price. Quaint, rather enchanting nautical theme and some amusing curios.

Far from that slick patronising service experienced in chain hotels, the staff were accommodating helpful and charming.

If you want a good nights sleep in a great location 5 mins from all the Royal Parks, 10 mind from Buckingham Palace at a reasonable price then book it.

• Stayed July 2012
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed here in a family room. The room was clean but small. The room was very noisy from the outside traffic but after a day of walking around the sights I slept well despite the road noise. The location was good & the breakfast was not bad at all, £5.50 for a cereal, juice, toast, bacon, sausage, beans & eggs. Avoid the evening meals, the menu (6 dishes to choose from) stated 3 coarse meal for £6.50 & I fancied the Argentinian Steak which was not available, so picked the poussin which was not available. The Singaporean chicken curry was available so I chose this, the wife chose the Vietnamese stir fry & my daughter Fish & chips. We had our starter of mini pancake rolls which were ok then the daughter got her almost bunt frozen cod in batter. She had finished this well before we got our main course. The Singapore chicken consisted of cold rice - 1 chicken wing in a little sauce. The wifes stir fry consisted of cold rice & a little chicken in a little sauce. By this time we had finished the meagre offering we had still not received our drinks - we were the only ones in there (i now know why!). Desert was "sorry we haven't got any". VERY POOR!!.
If you do go to this hotel, you will find it is clean, it is in a decent location, you can get a decent breakfast(different staff on in the morning) but avoid the evening meals, they are a bad joke. Staff were pretty friendly too.

Room Tip: Ask for the rear rooms, less noisy
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank WiIIyeckerslike
, General Manager at Lincoln House Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Though in some ways exaggerated, I find the review disappointing, since I have put in a lot of efforts to make our food stand out. This could be due to new staff on training but not due to negligence. The great majority of reviews on our means are pleasant to read. However it is our mistake that you were not happy with your dinner. My sincerest apologies for my staff slipping on this occasion and I can assure you that our meals as judged by our guests are very appetising. We would like to see you again to prove our point.
Once more we are sorry and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Shenzhen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I stayed 2nights there,good location, only about 15mins walk from Marble Arch.also near the shopping street. the rooms were small but clean, fisrt night was little bit noise as my room was by the road side. 2nd night I changed to another side, which was much quiter. but as this hotel seemed no standar rate without online booking, so i had to pay different price at 2nd night.. staffs were very friendly,resourceful and helpful. the hotel has no elevator, but stuffs can always help you to carry your luggage up and down.

Room Tip: choose the room with window on the lower floor, and not by the side of road shall be much quiter.alw...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed here a while ago and its not the most pleasant experience. The rooms are like a shoe box, ensuite shower is tiny as well, yet its clean ish. Since I booked this hotel, I asked my breakfast was delivered in my room and it wasnt, also internet was not working in my room, so i had to go and find an internet connection somewhere which was an absolute hassle. I don't like it when staff treat people as if they were making you a favour when you are paying your well earned money for stuff like this :S

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo