“Great location, very small rooms, no lifts”
Review of Astons Apartments

Astons Apartments
Ranked #730 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Bangalore
“Great location, very small rooms, no lifts”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I happened to stay in 2 different rooms double room and twin room at Aston's and here is what I feel. Pros>> * Great location to explore London. No doubt. * Very peaceful yet only 5 mins walking distance from Gloucester road. 15 mins walking distance from Natural history museum, science museum. 20 mins walking distance from Hyde park. * Has quite a few pubs, shops and restaurants close by. * Reception is very helpful. * Kid less than 5 has no extra charge if using same bed. This sounds strange but try finding hotels that have no charge for kids accompanying a couple in London and you will know what I mean * Small but functional kitchenette Cons>> * Very small rooms which has a very small kitchenette and a very small bathroom. * No free Wifi * No lift and there are rooms 2 levels up as well. Conclusion>> It is normal to have super expensive and small accommodation in London. These rooms are small but functional and should be ok if you have tight budget and want the room just to sleep and explore London.

Room Tip: * Try to get a room at lower floor if you have lot of baggage.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Feet2Travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Malta
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I spent 4 nights in this small hotel near Gloucester Road. The room I stayed in was an "executive" one with a good sized double bed and ample space to move around. It had a small kitchenette with the basic necessities which I found of little use since I was most of the time out. The ensuite bathroom was a bit small and looked like it hasn't been refurbished for a long while. Overall the room was very basic and somewhat outdated. The location is good, very close to Gloucester Rd. tube station, dining places and supermarket. I would say that it's good value for very short stays but not for long ones. Shop around well before you decide to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank travluv01
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I have now been living in London for 14 months, stayed in Astons Apartments for a week in April 2011 when I first arrived . The location is fantastic – 5 minute walk to Zone 1 underground which takes you to central London within 10 – 20 minutes, close to supermarkets (Waitrose / Tesco) with also a variety of restaurants (eg- steakhouse, nandos, kfc, Starbucks, Paul’s bakery etc). The apartment / single room was small, but adequate. There was a small kitchenette – with fridge, microwave and stovetop to prepare meals. The area is in a very nice part of London, generally housing high income earning residents so the area feels quite safe. In terms of staff – very friendly and helpful with directions. No lifts, but staff offered to assist in carrying luggage. I was job hunting at the time so I paid for Wifi at a daily fee. I would recommend Astons Apartments for anyone visiting London for its location, facilities, service and value.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank jwtraveller1
Orlando, FL
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at Astons last year for the Royal Wedding. I had a single room on the second floor. Yes, it was tiny but perfect for me. I liked the "closet kitchen" and it was close to grocery stores so I could stock up my fridge. I used the internet access which was a wonderful benefit. My room faced the street, and it was very, very quiet. I only had one issue - the bathroom. It was like a "wet room" . . there is no separate shower stall; you pull a curtain around which blocks off the toilet and sink and that is where you shower. The shower head was not moveable and the lime deposits made the spray uneven. Unfortunately, I was pelleted in the face rather uncomfortably. But, once I got used to "that's the way it is", you are only in the shower a few minutes and you learn not to put anything on the floor lest it get soaked. In other words, a quick attitude adjustment and I was happy as a clam. My understanding is that not all rooms have bathrooms like this so I'd ask whether or not you are booking a room with a "wet room".

The staff was excellent. My luggage did not arrive until the day before I was to go home. They helped me navigate my way over to So. Kensington to access the appropriate shops for technology, clothing and toiletry needs.

This is not a fancy place. Yes, you could say the accommodations are a little "tired". I loved the location. . . . walk to Gloucester Rd. tube and good places to get quick eats. I even walked over to Earls Ct. to get meals; it's not that far from that area.

I liked this place enough that I am going back for the Olympics. I have a bigger room booked and was told I have a 'regular" bathroom, so we'll see. There is no air conditioning here so wish me luck. There is also no elevator so be forewarned about heavy bags.

I just think it's a good value . . . meets needs, kept clean, staff accommodating, excellent location.

Room Tip: Ask about what type of bathroom the room has . . . one with a separate shower stall or a "wet r...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Sal717
Glendale, California
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Just got back from London two days ago and we had the opportunity to stay at this establishment from the recommendation of other people here at Tripadvisor.

First things first, LOCATION... it is a walking distance to Gloucester Underground Station, it is set in a very picturesque neighborhood that is full of character. The area is populated by restaurants and coffee shops. From Cafe Forum that serves wonderful coffee and, delicious, sandwiches and pasta to the local PUBS, there are two enroute to Aston (Hereford Arms & Stanhope Arms), there are also Nando's, an italian Restaurant and a steakhouse. Cafe Neero, "Starbucks", Paul's and Prit A is within walking distance. A Fish and Chips with kabob house that is open until 11:30pm is also in the vicinity. For groceries, You have Tesco Express(open late) and Waitrose. So basically you have everything that you need to live and that is just on one street.

The Aparment, first you are greeted with this wonderful facade and thru it's door you will find the reception office straight thru the back, on the left side. We are greeted by very nice people, showing us the ins and outs of the area and where our unit is located. Luckily our unit is in the same building, HooRaah!!, the bad news... it's on the top floor and there is no LIFT. Booo!! That made me cry a little. Nevertheless, I proceed 65 steps up with two heavy bags packed for a cool 2 weeks. Once we got there, I passed out. =)

The unit itself is Clean and sufficient, let me tell you that if you are looking for big, room to do your tai chi, or for Hotel ammenities. THIS IS NOT FOR YOU. The Unit is well supplied, sheets are clean, it has a frig, a microwave and a burner plus the very cute bathroom and that is all we need.

The bathroom is quite a challenge for myslef, being a big boy that is used to american standards, it is cozy for my taste but it works and I got hot water everytime so that is Alright in my books.

Other than that I will be sure to come back here again specially when everything is so close and accessible to this location. Some of them are actually walkable, Kensington Castle, V&A Museum, The National History and the Ferrari and Lamborghini dealer on the end of the street.

Room Tip: People always say to stay away from the rooms facing the street, No issue for me, the street noise s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Rio E
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2012

On a recent UK trip we stayed here on three separate occasions, so experienced a variety of rooms. Be aware there is no lift if you are given a room upstairs and have heavy suitcases!
The property is within easy walking distance of South Kensington tube station (about 10 minutes), in a quiet upmarket area and there are local food shops & restaurants. A good choice if you want to save money or need family accommodation.
Rooms we had were modest but adequate, very clean with comfortable single beds, and kitchenettes. Check that these have sink plugs (ours did not) and a good selection of utensils.
Downside was the dreadful 'ensuite' - just a large cupboard-style space in a corner of the room.
These too-small spaces need serious make-overs. The showers take ages to heat up and are dribbly, the shower bases are too shallow to hold the water resulting in flooding of the floor and adjacent toilet. There are no towel drying rails.
More shelving and a large wall mirror with hair dryer wall plug would be useful. (Hairdryers must be asked for at the office).
Maintenance staff were efficient and helpful.
Bags can be stored for a short time at the office during the day; however there is a high charge for left luggage - train station facilities are a much cheaper option.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground floor - the front one with bay window is larger but can be noisier, or a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kaye W
Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Good:
- Cheap!
- Right next tons of stuff and near a station
- Nice neighborhood
- Room is small but that is the price of cheapness
Bad:
- Wireless my room sucked

Note on wireless: They have wireless that you have to pay for to use. I bought it because I am a geek and require internet. In the building I was in (there are multiple buildings for this place), the wireless was no good (dropped signal about every other time I clicked a link and most pictures did not load). I told them and they gave me my money back which I appreciated. Still, I would much appreciate working wireless. Also, you may have varying experiences depending on what building you end up in.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends