Grange Rochester Hotel
$288
$277
Hotwire.com
1,071 results
All reviewsvincent squarevictoria stationrochester rowquiet locationbuckingham palacecontinental breakfasttwo double bedsfull englishsmall hoteltop floorwould stay againan upgradebig benlovely roomcomfortable hotelstayed one nightbooked this hotel
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at the hotel last week. I have been travelling to London regularly for work for business for over 15 years and stayed in a fair few hotels around central London, and I’ve developed high standards! I enjoyed my stay at the Grange Rochester - in short, it is comfortable and small and in a good location.
On arrival the reception staff were very professional and friendly, leaving me wondering whether previous reviewers comments were fair or accurate. The room I was allocated was a ‘family room’ and had two double beds, and plenty of space to move around in, there were plenty of supplies for tea & coffee and lots of toiletries and clean towels in the bathroom. The bathroom was on the small side, for a family room, but it was clean and functional. I have to say that I normally struggle to sleep well in a hotel on the first night, but I slept for 8 hours straight and found the bed and pillows very comfortable (I know that this is a minor thing, and I’m probably a bit odd, but I usually hate that slightly chemical pong that laundered hotel sheets have, but this wasn’t evident here and I loved that!). Even though it was a very warm day in London, the room didn’t feel too hot, until I got up and opened some windows and had a shower. However there were 2 fans in the wardrobe, I plugged one in and it cooled down nicely.
We ate in the hotel restaurant, and the food was delicious. The waiter was possibly new as he seemed quite nervous and a bit unsure of himself, but he was extremely polite and attentive (the restaurant is only small so I suppose that wasn’t too difficult!). The food was absolutely delicious, and I would definitely consider staying here again just for the sole reason that the food was so good. Breakfast was OK, just the usual stuff, and I didn’t experience any problems with getting a table or with the service from the staff.
All the staff we came across in the hotel were courteous, helpful and professional, with a good command of the English language (again, I can’t understand some of the previous reviewers derogatory comments regarding the staff).
The location is lovely, there is a cricket green directly opposite, and a short walk to restaurants, bars etc. I was going to a conference in Westminster and it was a pleasant 10 minute walk to get there, rather than a rushed and hot ride on the tube!
The only major downside is that I was given a code to access the free wifi in the hotel and it didn’t work, which was annoying. I could have resolved it by contacting reception, but I tried to access the internet at 10.30 p.m. and I just couldn’t be bothered with the amount of time it would have taken to sort it out.
There are hotels which are more swanky, or have lots of ‘thoughtful’ extras like free bottled water or a mini bar in the room, but you pay lots more for this type of hotel.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the cricket green
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stopped over on business. Location is good - handy for the 507 (Victoria/Waterloo) bus. Check-in involved using an iPad - paper & pen would be a lot easier. Staff were most polite & helpful.

1st floor room was a family one with a double bed and two singles. TV was awkward to view from any of the beds. The room was large and clean but lacked any aircon - leaving the place feeling overly warm & muggy. Light switches had coloured paper stickers on them - altogether strange and slightly grubby.

Bathroom was a bit small and very hot.

Ate dinner in the attached wine bar. Steak and chips reasonably priced/served quickly/tasty. Didn't have time to try the breakfast.

If aircon had been fitted (or my visit was on a cooler day), I'd have rated this as 'Very Good'.

Room Tip: If warm weather, ask for room with aircon.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

When it comes to staff, cleanliness, and location, I'd give the Rochester a very good to excellent rating. But there were a couple things both puzzling and a little aggravating. I don't have another hotel in London to compare it too, but the rooms we and our friends had were very tiny. But were very clean, with comfortable beds and nice bathroom. I made our reservations almost eight months before our trip in May, and as other reviewers had suggested, asked that they be in the back, overlooking Vincent Square. We ended up overlooking Rochester Row, which doesn't look like all that busy a street, but good lord, the noise!! Fortunately I always travel with wax ear plugs, and boy did we need them. Not only did we have to put up with sirens and traffic going by, but one morning there was a huge truck parked right outside our window at maybe 5:30 a.m. so we were treated to the noise of who knows what being loaded and unloaded. Although I had asked upon initial registration and then a confirmation a few days before arriving, that we have rooms in the back, not until I gently complained after our first night's stay was I told that the rooms in the back, are the hotels "luxury" rooms. If we'd known that, the extra cost would have been worth it. Another puzzlement was that we checked in on a Thursday and were told that breakfast didn't come with our room the next day, but it did on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. No big deal, we ate at the quaintly named Slug and Lettuce or is it Lettuce and Slug just up the street. When I asked they said the hotel caters to businessmen during the week, who are on business accounts and can afford to pay for breakfast. Weekends are for the tourists, who appreciate the free breakfasts, which, by the way, were very good. A huge plus for the Rochester is that it is a very easy 10 minute walk to the Parliament/ Westminster Abby area.

Room Tip: Get one in the back overlooking Vincent Square. Don't simply request. Demand the room, but realize you will have to do the "luxury" upgrade. If you don't and end up on Rochester Row, take along a very good pair of ear plugs. The wax kind are the only ones that will keep the noise out.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RichardYost
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here one night in early June when we had to unexpectedly stay over in London one night on our way home. This hotel, although having modern bathroom facilities and a modern lift, has the old world look to it with the dark wood decor and dark wood room furniture. I am surprised it is rated 4 stars given that the rooms aren't air conditioned except for the top floor. Our room was not air conditioned. To make matters worse, they have installed inner storm windows in the rooms to save energy in the colder months, which leave virtually no space to open the outside window that can only be opened inward. I could only open the window about 3 inches as the bottom of it then became wedged against the lower frame of the inner storm window, so could get little fresh air. In July and August when temperatures are warmer the room will certainly be stifling. The room size was adequate but not large. I did find the breakfast room and selection of food to be excellent, and the staff was attentive and helpful. It's annoying that they do not offer free use of the Internet on the computer in the lobby, although I managed to talk them into allowing me to use it free for just 10 minutes as I only needed to send an emergency message. Except for the window issue, the facilty is otherwise well maintained. This hotel, although having a location close to the tube at Victoria Station, is more suited to a business traveler than a leisure traveler given the price (we paid 156 GBP for a double room--no bargain when there's no air conditioning in the always-damp climate of London).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

NO ELEVATOR - NO SERVICE - NO COURTESY

This is the most troubled hotel I ever stayed at. I travel a lot, staying in many different hotels around the world, have experienced a little of everything, but never a place like this.

Already when booking through the internet, I asked for a quiet room. I repeated this when I checked in. My stay at Granges Rochester was anything but quiet!

The room was very small but quite nicely, as did the bathroom. The door goes directly from the room to the corridor, no hallway. Everything is very sound - both from the corridor and from the other rooms. But it seems like the whole hotel is a construction site. The whole building shook, and at. 7:50 AM, it was impossible to sleep more. The day before, it had been impossible to have a rest.

I understand very well that this hotel needs to undergo a renovation. (See the photo) - but I specially asked for a quiet room days before I arrived. I repeated this request by check inn. After an hour I had to escape from the hotel, the noise and vibrations were unbearable. When I told this to the front desk, said the woman only: oh right... ??

Want a stay full of noise and stressful vibrations, and a staff that absolutely do not know about services and hosting, then this hotel is the place for you. I can only say: Good Pleasure.

I ask for a quiet room. For 178 Pound I get a small room with big noises in a construction site. From bottom of my heart, I can just warn you to stay at this terrible place.