“Not as grand as it sounds”

Grange Rochester Hotel
Ranked #476 of 1,063 Hotels in London
south yorkshire
“Not as grand as it sounds”
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Stopped in this hotel with friends to see him run the marathon. It is small and the decor is very dated. The rooms are small and dark, and the beds small my husband had the worst nights sleep as his feet were hanging over the bed. I was kept up most of the night by the sound of the elevator, it creates like a wind like noise everytime it was in use. If i was a large lady there would be no way i could squeeze into the toilet as it was very small indeed. The bar was very small and if ten people was there it would be packed to the brim. I must mention the staff though they were very friendly and polite and could not do enough for you. But you cannot check in while 2 p.m. and have to be out for eleven. Our friends booked this hotel and it said it was a four star but i would probably give it a three, and it is very deciptive as it says it is near westminster but it is closer to victoria station.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — small beds and toilet
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
UK
Reviewed April 12, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night in April 08 and was well impressed. I booked direct and only paid £69 so wasn't expecting too much but it beat my expectations.

Location.
It's in a quiet area that's away from the normal hussle and bussle of London. For me, this was good, maybe not ideal for everyone but bear in mind it's only a 5-10 min walk to the nearest tube (Victoria) and then onto where ever you need, or simply ask reception for a taxi.

Room.
There's no getting way from the fact that the room was small, but for a few nights does this matter? It was clean, comfortable, and had what you would expect, TV, bath, shower, tea making.

Service.
To be honest I did not meet very many staff but those I did were fine and helpful.

Summary.
Great for a short stay in London, I have paid twice the price and got a lot worst. My room was small but had everything I needed.

• Liked — Great value for money, nice location and building
  • Disliked — Room a little small
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
California
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I don't why there are so many mixed reviews about this hotel, but I took a quick trip over to London with my 71 year old father and we absolutely LOVED this hotel.

We stayed on the 4th floor in the Executive Room, with 2 beds, that overlooked the park. Our cute balcony was so nice to see in the morning that it really did brighten up the day.

The room itself was very spacious (and I mean VERY spacious), clean, and charming - there's not one thing I could complain about. At night, it was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

The staff was a little sheepish, but overall pleasant if you gave them a chance.

Breakfast was included in the price and consisted of your usual continental feastings: cereals, breads, deli meats, fruit, yogurts, etc. If you craved a hot breakfast, you could order it from the menu, although a bit pricey.

And lastly, the location was superb. A 7 min walk took you to Victoria station and off you went!

I booked the room directly from the Grange's website (was actually about $100 cheaper than the usual travelocity, hotels.com, etc). We paid 80-110 pounds - it fluctuates on the weekends. If staying in the Executive room, ask for the one with the view of the park. There are some good (and actually accurate!) pictures of what the hotel looks like, esp. the one with the twin beds: http://www.grangehotels.com/photo_gallery/Rochester_hotel.asp

I would and have highly recommended this hotel to others. If given the chance to come back, I would most certainly stay at the Grange Rochester again.

• Liked — The convient location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Beachan
Kent
Reviewed March 17, 2008

I stayed at the Grange Rochester Hotel for 5 nights during Feb 2008 booked as part of an intensive business seminar I was attending. The hotel, as I experienced it, was one of the very worst I have seen in over 15 years of travel worldwide! Let me explain…

The (single) room was tiny - the only place I could fully open my suitcase was on the 2'6" bed itself. It did have a tiny desk and TV in it but it was very cramped.

When I complained to reception I was told that all rooms were the same, that it was a listed building and hence they couldn't change anything, or do anything at all to help me. I got the strong impression they were basically telling me to go away.

The bed itself was uncomfortable and super soft and, at over 6 feet tall, I constantly felt as if I was falling out.

The worst aspect was room cleanliness. The toilet was dirty from the previous guest and housekeeping had left tiny black hairs in the bed! I had to complain to the front desk in order to get the chief housemaid to clean the bathroom the next day. Within 2 days, the general cleanliness had reverted. Overall, the room fixtures were worn, old, stained and dirty.

I feel so strongly about this hotel that it has driven me to write my first Trip Advisor review.

In short, this is a tired tourist class hotel with poor customer service and questionable cleanliness. I suggest you could do better at any price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank bass_and_drums
Seattle, WA, USA
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We booked this hotel last-minute using the service at the Victoria Train Station so paid 100 pounds for 1 night. Our room was small but comfortable and clean. We stayed on the 5th floor and the elevator only went to the 4th. Fortunately the conceirge brought our bags up for us but we wondered about a 4 star rating for a hotel without an elevator to many of the guest rooms. The bar staff was friendly but the front desk staff was very snotty when we checked in. I don't think we'll stay here again unless we get a super fantastic deal on the price. Had the cost been more like 70 pounds, I'd be giving another star...as it is...not a great value for money.

• Liked — convenient
  • Disliked — not good value for money
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank pumisimo
Lancashire
Reviewed December 20, 2007

Handy for Westminster if tricky to find - entrance is not on Vincent Square but down a side street linking to Rochester Row. Friendly efficient staff. Largish room and good choice for breakfast. A bit better than other hotels in the area in the same price range.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Finding it
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Brunlea
Boston
Reviewed December 9, 2007

The photos of the lobby look great - similarly the rooms. You won't see people pictured in the photos, as with more than 4 or 5 people in the lobby, it's hard to avoid bumping into one and other. The rooms are cramped, but decent. Let's face it, you're thinking of staying at a place like this because the cost is reasonable vs. the other alternatives. It's location is good, although the neighborhood is far more sedate than the "nearby" Victoria station area, which is a committed 10 minute walk away. Good news: There is an elevator. Bad news: It goes to the 4th floor of a 5 story hotel. The English language skills of the front of the house staff are pretty good, although almost all were younger people from various parts of eastern Europe, whose - shall we say - grace could be lacking at times. At night, the bellman also is the bartender, who is also the "chef" who can try to whip you up a sandwich in the kitchen. If you have any delusions of putting more than 2 people to a room, forget it. Also, the high speed internet, purported to be free, was probably free because it didn't work in our room, and when discussed with the front desk - there goes that language thing again.

If you're in London for quick get away, you won't feel unsafe or ripped off, even if you feel a little out of it, and like you stayed on the flight too long and ended up in Warsaw or Prague. Fortunately, London has too many great things to remember to be negated by an entirely forgettable hotel such as this one.

Rick - Boston, MA