“Great hotel!!”

Ranked #399 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Outer Banks, North Carolina
“Great hotel!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I recently stayed at the Bedford Hotel for one week. It was a great experience. The staff were very knowledgeable, professional and helpful. The rooms were fine - nothing fancy but very adequate. The shower was terrific! There was free wifi in the rooms as well.

The hotel is located in a lovely neighborhood with two subway lines nearby. There were lovely restaurants close to the hotel too.

I highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again if I ever return to Londinium.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
South Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just stayed for one night at the Bedford Hotel. We had a comfortable room which was situated at the rear of the hotel overlooking the small garden area. The staff were very friendly and helpful, drinks at the bar reasonably priced for central London. Breakfast was fairly basic but certainly adequate, and the waiting staff were good. It is a 15 to 20 minute walk from King's Cross and is in a good location for accessing the theatres and the tourist attractions. Overall, a very pleasant stay and we would return here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sedbergh, Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were only staying one night in London and the Bedford Hotel was highly recommended. It was a good typical London Hotel, clean and tidy and an escape from the hustle and bustle outside. Our room and bathroom were nothing special but we expected nothing more. Having a separate toilet was a surprise. The complimentary teas and coffee were minimal, but again no more than expected. What was a surprise was the wonderful gardens at the back. The bar was convenient and reasonably priced. The hotel was well located for many restaurants and bars and only a short walk from Covent Garden. We enjoyed a good nights sleep and a hearty self serve breakfast with attentive staff. Good value and in London well worth the money,

Room Tip: Always ask for a room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Murphy459
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Room was good and clean. Bed a bit on the hard side but still comfy with two pillows. Breakfast was simple, could be better. Service was excellent, was very helpful to get me a bag with my passport which was left behind. Thanks! :-)

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Uragut
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

London is a magnificent city, and I treasure everything about it...except how expensive it is. I was oh-so-fortunate to make reservations for 4 nights at the Bedford Hotel for a conference, that believe it or not, started one day after the Olympics closing ceremony. When I first started looking at hotel rates, they were so expensive that I thought I might have to forego the conference. Then, I found the website for the Bedford Hotel and checked it out on TripAdvisor. The Bedford Hotel far exceeded my expectations, as well as a colleague's with whom I was traveling. Given the very reasonable price, we both expected that the hotel would be spartan, akin to an old-fashioned dormitory room. What we received were very comfortable rooms, fully fitted with everything [flat-screen tv, wireless, updated bath, a comfortable bed with soft linens] that one might want or need.
Each of us had a single room--and for those used to American-sized hotel rooms, they were small--but bright and well-laid-out with large windows overlooking a garden courtyard. So, rather than feeling cramped, I felt snug and airy. The room was spotlessly clean and light. At the end of our conference, my colleague and I both said that we would "miss" our little rooms. I loved being able to open the windows up wide, get a nice breeze, and look over to the roofs and chimneys of Bloomsbury.
The hotel also provides a "full English breakfast" with the room rate. Again, we both expected that the breakfast would consist of breads, muffins and coffee/tea. Instead, the Bedford served a very generous breakfast buffet. In addition to breads, muffins, and pastries, breakfast every morning included eggs, two different kinds of sausages [we never could figure out the difference between the thinner sausages and another tray of rounder, plumper sausages :)] beans, and I think (?) kippers or some sort of warm smoked fish. They also had yogurt, cereals, fruit salads, and juices. So whatever kind of breakfast one preferred, there it was.

Since our conference was in Bloomsbury, the location was excellent. Within two minutes, we were able to walk to the conference location. Its central location also made it very convenient for exploring after the day's sessions. During the four days we were there, we used a taxi once. We were able to walk everywhere--the British Museum is at most a five minute walk. We also walked to the theater, and that was perhaps a 20 minute walk to the heart of the theater district. On other days we were able to walk to St. Paul's Cathedral, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey. Those walks took a bit longer--but all were quite feasible within maybe 30 minutes or less. [Clearly marked signs and maps on many street corners were fantastic! US--take note!]

The staff at the hotel always greeted us cordially and were very helpful with information. The hotel still uses real keys, and hotel guests have to put them in a slot at the front desk each time they leave, and then pick them up when they return. By the second day, front desk staff recognized us and greeted us each morning and afternoon. That was a very nice touch.

If I have my way, I'll make many more return trips to London--for business and pleasure. Without hesitation, I will return to the Bedford Hotel again, and I'd highly recommend it for anyone who wants a clean, comfortable, reasonably-priced room in the heart of London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back garden/courtyard, not Southampton Row. It's a lovely view and the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Concord
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in September and was in a single room on the first floor at the front of the hotel. Woken each morning at about 5.15am by the loud rumble of the laundry being delivered and trundled across the pavement into the service entrance. Being central London, there were also sirens during the night that the double glazing did not seem to exclude.The room itself was clean and comfortable and recently decorated, the bathroom was good with a decent bath and shower and the breakfast was pretty basic but good for the price ( although one morning they were short staffed and seemed a bit chaotic). I would only stay in this hotel again if I was assured of a rear facing room as I expect to be able to sleep, not be woken by deliveries during the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Em001
Karmiel, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I Stayed in this hotel from the 6 - 9th June and was very pleased with my room
which even though small was suitable for two people overlooking the gardens.
This is a good 3 star hotel and is in Southampton Row and is close to all amenities.
On my next visit to London will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms are the back overlooking the garden are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo