“Fine for business travellers”

Park Plaza Victoria London
Ranked #240 of 1,090 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Fine for business travellers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

Positives - For me its the little things that make a difference - I received an upgrade on my room, quite liked the slippers and bathrobe - especially after walking across London due to the tube strike! Slightly disappointed by twin beds rather than a double. Bathroom very nice, loved the complimentary toliletries including hair conditioner, toobrush and mouthwash. Very close to a supermarket, restaurants and bars.
Negatives - The staff did not make me aware of the swiming pool - i saw adverts for spa treatments by the lifts. The walls were quite thin, the man in the next room was on a business call from 7am - so not ideal if you want to lie in.

Overall - the hotel was fine - the bed was clean, the sheets fresh and no road noise :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ramesh04, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria London, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted that we were able to cater for your needs during your stay.

I would also like to confirm to you that we do not have a swimming pool at the hotel. I hope that this clears up any confusion regarding this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Ramesh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Garstang, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

When I was first considering how to rate this hotel I thought that average was probably a bit harsh, but with hindsight I think it's maybe a little generous.

Stayed here for one night only and didn't eat an evening meal in the restaurant so I can't comment on this aspect. Things I didn't like, but are just personal preferences were the decor, which simply wasn't to my taste, and the fact that my (upgraded) rooom had twin beds. I never sleep well in a single bed.

The room itself was quite spacious, with a good desk to work at. It was a little tired, with a slightly worn carpet and chipped veneer on the furniture etc. The bathroom was OK, two particulary positive features were the heated mirror (I could actually see myself when shaving - why don't all hotels have heated mirrors?) and the size of the bath. Most London hotels seem to have tiny baths (if at all) at least this one was big enough to stretch out.

The curtains seemed very thin, let daylight through and made me feel a little uncomfortable. There was no view as such, the room looked out into the space between the sides of the building. At least there were no ugly air con units as there often are in these spaces. The up side was that there was no road noise.

The walls must have been very thin as I heard someone coming into the room next door at about 5:30. He / she wasn't making much noise, but I could hear everything and it did for any further sleep. The corridor layout is quite confusing. A colleage and I tried to find some stairs and ended up (twice) going down what eventually looked like service staircases with no exit. In one case it was a fire exit with the doors at the bottom locked - one hopes they open automatically if there is a fire. A few simple signs would help.

The TV controller didn't work properly. I didn't try to get it fixed as I only wanted it for the radio and was pressed for time.

Breakfast was poor. The cooked food was only lukewarm, the layout somewhat confusing and the orange juice seemed to be orange squash. The waitress only came to ask me if I wanted tea or coffee when I had nearly finished. I asked for fruit tea, which seemed to be a concept beyond her understanding. I don't know if it was a lack of communication or just that they don't have any, but needless to say nothing was forthcoming. Oh yes - the chairs are so low it feels like you are back at school and are not comfortable for eating.

Out of the three hotels I've stayed at in Victoria recently I would put this one at the bottom of the list. Premier Inn (surprisingly) would be top with DoubleTree Hilton second.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DickBurton
Dear guest,

Thank you taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the hotel.

Please be assured that your comments regarding the breakfast have been noted and action has been taken to resolve this. I would also like to make you aware that all of our bedrooms have black out curtains behind the net curtains to block out all day light.

Thank you once again and I do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

LIVERPOOL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I chose this hotel as It was located close to the theatre I was visiting and I was travelling with a young child so I didnt want to have to be travelling on the tube late at night. The location was perfect for the Apollo theatre, also it was a good spot for visiting some of the other great landmarks. Buckingham Palace, Westminster etc were all within walking distance. We had arrived too early for the two o clock check in, so I asked the receptionist if I could leave my bags, I was very surprised to be told that my room was actually ready and I could check in.This was great as it meant we could drop bags ang go and explore for a few hours. The foyer and reception area of the hotel were lovely, check in staff very friendly. We went off to explore, we decided to take one of the bus tours. This turned out to be a bit of a mistake. As we had joined in Victoria it was actually hours before we saw anything of any real significance. It was also a pain getting off buses to switch to another bus, some time the bus you were on stopped for half an hour or so. In the end after over three hours we got off it. I think my young nephew got a bit fed up with the waiting at the stops, probably not ideal if you have young children. Also I think the bus tours are overpriced. The eevning was great, we went to see Wicked. I had saw this show already but it really doesnt disappoint, its just a great show. My nephew just loved it and wants to see it again. I would recommend this show and the hotel to anyone. Hotel is also close to Victoria station so good connections for the underground and main line trains. Breakfast the next day was nice, lovely staff and service.

Room Tip: We found our room just a little noisy from the street but not sure which way it faced, think it was...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. I will surely be sharing them with our team.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best wishes

Lisburn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Picked this hotel for its convenience to Victoria as we were arriving from Gatwick on the Gatwick Express and were going to show in Victoria Palace. Location is great. A couple of minutes to Westminster cathedral. About 10minutes to Buckingham Palace. About 15 minutes to Big Ben etc.
Check in was simple and efficient. Also able to avail of Express check out . Room was good, good sized and comfortable King sized bed. Also a rollaway bed for my 9 year old. Enjoyed the Nespresso machine. Only provided mugs mind you, a couple of espresso cups may be an idea. Also given that 3 were in the room they only provided two cups, not that my 9 year old is going to have a coffee but he did have a hot chocolate. Biggest disappointment was the City View. I am well aware that in Cities you are lucky to have anything (unless you pay extra!) but our window looked out onto the roof windows over the reception and bar below. i know I could have complained and maybe got a room somewhere else but did not intend staying in the room that much. Toiletries and bath robes , slippers, towels were all good. Did not have any food but thought the menu in TOZI looked good. Bar service was good. Limited selection of beer on draught. All in all a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Probably if you book a room that says City View make sure you have at least someone else's rooft...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Finger Lakes, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We flew into London, picked up a car and headed north to visit relatives and see some sights, before two days in London, and then a trans-Atlantic cruise out of Southampton. Because we had more luggage than normal, we needed convenience to the Victoria Underground station from Heathrow, and then again from our hotel.

The Victoria Park Plaza hotel was it - and well-priced for its quality and location.

We're travel agents and realize that overseas travel is not quite the same as that which we're used to in the states, so we know we need to "go with the flow". We've enjoyed luxury accommodations along our travels, but we don't turn our nose up to basic accommodations as long as they're clean, provide the necessities, and hire helpful employees.

We were happy with the Victoria and very much appreciated its amenities, service and cleanliness, but it's location won out. There's nothing nice about a long day of sightseeing, only to have to walk a long distance because one wanted to "save" a few bucks. Sorry, but just as in real estate, it's all about location, location, location, when you travel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mlboyer1
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Lisbon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Hotel is well located close to Victoria station with underground connection. Walking distance from Trafalgar and Piccadilly Circus. The room was very spacious and the breakfast was excellent. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments; I am delighted that you found the hotel suited to your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Hotel location is very good - close to Victoria railway and coach station. The only problem is very cold in the bathroom, no floor heating, as well as I had a problem with double cash withdrawal from my account.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family