“Good hotel but.... Taxi service offered by the hotel is a tourist scam”

The Villa Kensington
Ranked #505 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel but.... Taxi service offered by the hotel is a tourist scam”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The hotel is nice and in a good location.The room was cleaned and comfortable.
My only concern is that we ordered a cab in the morning and no one from the people working in the reception to include manager informed us that it is not going to be black cab but private taxi company.We ordered short trip on saturday ( 1.02) morning around 7:15 a.m. from the hotel to Earl's Court / West Brompton easy bus station ( 1,2 mile - 5min ) to go to Gatwick.
The driver in silver Toyota Privia asked us to pay £15.50 ! He had no visible mini cab license,no badge and he was not able to print out receipt ?
I asked is this normal price and he informed us we are lucky as this is minimum he is charging for trip ???
I called hotel duty manager on the same day to ask why we were not informed about on such high price on entry and about ordering private taxi instead of black cab ?
He was defending the driver and said if we want to black cab we must go on street and find one and the price we were asked to pay is not high???
So in short we were scammed on taxi which charge us highly for 1.2 mile trip and the driver had no sign of any license.So to my understanding it was someone related to staff at the hotel operating with a private car and working on a call. No comments.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Greg S
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
I am sorry this unfortunate event with the taxi service has somehow spoiled your experience with us. I do understand you may be upset, but I don't think is fair for you to make such serious allegations. Accusing members of my team to run a "scum"....This is completely out of order. To state the real facts I will say:
The mini-cab company we use has an extremely good reputation.
Their drivers are all licensed.
They can provide a receipt for the trip.
Their service is completely independent
Ultimately it was your choice to take up the service and prices for the trip are agreed between the customer and the taxi company; this has nothing to do with us.
Ferdinand. GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Grimstad, Norway
Reviewed January 21, 2014

First of all, the staff is great. Especially the Italian lady working at the desk, what a sweetheart. The room was good, a couple of touch-ups wouldn't hurt. For example the mirror in the bathroom looked like it was mounted by a couple of left-handed baboons. Big plus for aircondition in the room, not that we used it but it's a nice feature.

The localtion isn't super-exciting, but good for a quiet time. For more exciting restaurants and bars you need to go elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mikal_v
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us and for leaving such nice review.
Best regards
Ferdinand. GM
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I just returned from London where I stayed at The Villa Kensington. The hotel is in a quiet location and has a very helpful staff. The room was very pleasant and clean. The hotel is in the Kensington area of London within a very short walk to the Underground. There are several restaurants nearby. Because of the location you can visit the main sites in London via the Underground or catch a bus. For those of you that like a good cup of coffee there is a Starbucks and a Paul near the Underground. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mitch R
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review. We are just so pleased you had a good time staying with us. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I took my 93 year old Dad to London, for a concert at the Albert Hall and some sightseeing. The Hotel was perfectly placed for the tube and the Hall. We had a good welcome, and when asked if we could have a room next to each other, it was arranged without fuss. The facilities were good and the breakfast just right. I would happily recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MGpete8
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us and for your nice feedback. Please forward our very best wishes to your father. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM
St Agnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed here after a concert at the Royal Albert Hall. Compared to other hotels in area in was very good value. A 10min brisk walk in quiet side street. Lots of restaurants nearby and a Waitrose.
Booked a twin, but ended up in spacious triple.
Beds were very comfortable.
Room and bathroom very clean.
The continental breakfast which was included in the price was excellent. Ham, cheese, eggs, selection of cereals, fresh fruit, juices, muffins etc. could pay extra for English but wasn't needed.
Staff friendly and unobtrusive.
Would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate you have taken the time to leave this review. Thank you very much. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
South Shields
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed here for two nights to attend a conference in Kensington. It was a bit tricky deciding how to rate this one, but on balance I decided to go for a 'very good' rating.
Good points:
- Staff are excellent - welcoming, friendly and helpful.
- The room and bathroom were very clean. No complaints there.
- The bed was really comfortable!
- As a lone female traveller, I felt safe and at home in this hotel, which is very important. Because of this, I wouldn't hesitate in returning to the hotel.
- Temperature control. A real luxury in my opinion, meaning that you can control the temperature of your room - ideal for extremes in the winter/summer.
- Great location next to tube station.
Not so good points:
- Noise. Noise travels here. The first night I woke up a few times and heard people moving around, people talking during the night. I'm a light sleeper who usually doesn't suffer badly in hotels for noise, but you can here the doors go, lift working, people using the bathroom, people talking etc.
- Finishing of the room. The hotel has really tried with the quality of fixtures, however, the way they have been fitted really lets the hotel down. In the room I had, for example, there was about an inch gap under the door, a hole in the floor between the bathroom and the bedroom, and chips on furniture.
- I had a single room. Now this was adequate for me, everything you need (wardrobe, safe, desk, tea and coffee making facilities), but others might find it small, particularly the bathroom.

Overall, this hotel is excellent value for money, and the staff make it a really welcoming place. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rachelique
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for leaving this very comprehensive and honest review. Well, you got everything pretty much spot on.... Next time around, please don't just put up with noisy customers. Let us know, my staff could have definitely had a word with them....Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed for one night after going to a Classic Concert at The Royal Albert Hall which was an easy 15 min walk away. We had a basement room and it was extremely comfortable. Everything was spotlessly clean and the beds were comfortable. The shower was huge and there was loads of hot water. All the staff were very friendly and I really could not fault our stay. We would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: I only saw the basement but the room was a very generous size.