“Great location but otherwise lacking”

The Villa Kensington
Ranked #514 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Rochester, New York
“Great location but otherwise lacking”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The location of this hotel was great but not much else. I would not stay at this hotel again and based my booking off of previous Tripadvisor reviews, which I think were way too generous. The shower was little more than a drip, and no hand towels were provided. There was also no hair dryer in the room, which was surprising, especially given the brisk London weather during my mid-September stay. The room also had a musty smell to it. Not sure if that was due to a previous leak, as I could see a water mark on the ceiling or it just always smells musty. The hotel internet connection was weak, and the lights in our room flickered off from time to time. The fire alarm in our 4th floor room also went off early one morning due to someone burning the toast in the breakfast room. We learned that the toast burning setting off the fire alarm was a frequent occurrence. The free continental breakfast was adequate but was the exact same offering every day--toast with butter and jam, sub-par croissants, little chocolate chip muffins, hard boiled eggs, ham, cheese and tomatoes, yogurt, bananas, box cereal, coffee and juice.

On the plus side, it was nice that the hotel offered complimentary tea and had a water jug in the lobby. We were also able to get an outlet converter from the front desk, which was nice since we were not aware that the UK uses different electrical plugs than other European countries.

Although I really liked the location, I would not stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank sec93
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
It is Monday morning and two new reviews have just come through together. They could not be any different....says a lot about customers’ expectations. The other guest stayed with us 19 nights and absolutely loved the Hotel. You not so much....I am really sorry about that. Ultimately I have to accept that we may not be everyone's cup of tea. We do have hairdryers in every room by the way, but I guess it is too late now and supposedly, not enough to make you change your mind about us. Thank you anyway for taking the time to leave this review. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
New Zealand
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I spent a total of 19 nights at this hotel between early July and mid September, enjoying the same single room each time I returned. The room had ample closet and cupboard storage space, good quality bed linen, a useful light control panel beside the bed, a modern bathroom with ample supply of towels. The breakfast room was attractive and there was always a good selection of food. The hotel staff all seemed to be very welcoming and eager to help. The hotel is located in a quiet residential street yet only a few minutes walk away from the Gloucester Road tube station and multiple places to eat. There is so much to like about this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jean G
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your nice review. It was a pleasure to have you as a customer.
Kindest regards. Ferdinand. GM
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We like this area and the hotel was perfect. The subway is very convenient and easy to negotiate. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly, they let us leave our luggage as we had arrived very early. The breakfast was a great start to the day for us, and quite substantial. Our only negative is in no fridge,but this is in most hotels in the UK. I have daily medication that needs to be refrigerated.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review and feedback. Next time around, please let us know about storing your medications; we can offer to keep them refrigerated for your. You can access them 24/7. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
Geneva New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we could not have been taken better care of throughout our stay with this lovely hotel. I was visiting London together with my son and had booked a triple room. We were warmly welcomed by the two Italian members of staff on the reception desk and then accompanied to our room by one of them. Both of these members of staff were able to speak fluent English and were really keen to ensure that our room was to our liking. Indeed, the room was spacious, clean and quite and the decorations were good as was the bathroom. Our rate included continental breakfast the following morning and there was a good choice of different types of food, cheese, cold cuts, croissants, toast, yoghurts, fruit juices, coffee and fresh fruit etc. If this was not enough, they also offered to cook a full English breakfast for just £5 per head.

There was nothing we were left wanting during our visit to this hotel and I highly recommend it to any traveler. The rate I paid on a Thursday night with taxes was just £159 including the breakfast. The hotel is conveniently located and just a three minute walk from the Gloucester Road underground. My son and I enjoyed a night out and went to see a show at the Dominiom theater on Tottenham Court Road and had a blast watching We will Rock you with music by Queen.

My son and I thank the hotel for making us so welcome, giving great value for money and we will be back!

1 Thank Cobtree
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much. You will not believe how happy we all are when we get such nice feedback! So rewarding for all my team.....
Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
Scotland
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We chose this hotel because we just needed somewhere to stay for our visit to Wimbledon in July and it was on the same tube line but close to the centre of London also. We were pleasantly suprised by the standard of the hotel. It's a typical small London townhouse type hotel in a residential area but you can tell it's had money spend on it recently to renovate the entire place, probably for the Olympics. We had a triple room which was small but adequate, the beds were comfortable and the new bathroom was lovely and spotless. If you're not going to be spending much time in your room then this place is perfect to rest your head. The continental breakfast was good. Overall I can't complain for what we paid and what we were looking for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your honest and straight to the point review. We hope to see you soon.
Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
Woodstock, Vermont
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here twice, before and after a trip to Italy. Excellent location - one minute from tube and buses and a convenient group of shops and restaurants -yet the street is quiet and peaceful. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The first room was fine-clean and comfortable, but the second was really tiny and there was not even space to put our suitcases on the floor. The bathroom was in a cupboard and so small that someone large or tall could barely have closed the door. Breakfast was simple but convenient to have it available and they.gave us a boxed breakfast when we had to leave early. Overall a great hotel but the second room would have worked better as a single room.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave comments. We are just very happy you decided to stay with us again. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
London
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at the Villa Kensington for five days in August of 2013, and we chose it for a number of reasons: The price, the reviews on Trip Advisor, etc.

Good:
-Very quiet neighborhood with very few tourists
-Extremely close to the Gloucester Road tube stop with great connections on the Piccadilly Line which gets you to nearly all the big tourist stops
-The hotel is very clean and the staff is polite and friendly
- Free basic breakfast in the morning if you're up in time for it (I believe it is over at 9:30 AM, and 10:00 AM maybe on weekends?)
- Elevator
- Television with lots of channels
- Air conditioner (see BAD also though)

Bad:
- We had a leaky room our first night; the rain from outside was creating a very annoying drip and when we called the front desk the next morning to see if they would change our room, they agreed to right away. However, our next room also leaked, and we decided to just live with it.

- After we moved to the new room, the air conditioner would not turn on. We called the front desk and were informed that another guest had complained about the noise of the AC and so they turned off the units for everyone. I am not really sure how that is a good solution, but on our way out on our last day, we saw and heard the AC on in another room that was being cleaned, so I am not sure what was really going on.

Overall, Villa Kensington is a fine hotel. It is clean and does not cost an outrageous amount. The neighborhood is great-- walking distance to Old Brompton Road which has a lot of great restaurants. If you need a place to sleep and are not looking for luxury, you may enjoy it.

Room Tip: Maybe avoid the top floor because two of our rooms up there leaked when it rained.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeffKay33
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your feedback. I am really sorry about the leak, please accept my apology. I would though beg you not to assume that the whole fourth floor has or had the same problem. The hotel has been operating for several months after the refurbishment and we never have had a problem when it rains. After my maintenance team investigated, we fond out what was causing the leak and it has now been fixed. We checked all rooms on the fourth floor and found out that it had only effected one room. As for the AC, I cannot understand why anyone would say it was turned off entirely because another guest complained..?? I can assure you that it was not the case at all; I will investigate with members of my team. You probably saw one my porters cleaning the AC filter in one of the rooms. That is something we do routinely every few weeks. It only take few minutes and you do not need to turn off the whole AC system. I so wish you had the time to speak with me or one of my assistants before leaving these comments. I am glad though that you found many other positive things about your stay. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM