“Very Disappointed - expected soo much more”

The Villa Kensington
Ranked #505 of 1,068 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointed - expected soo much more”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a few nights. The AC wasn’t functional in the entire building and the temperature in my room was well above 28 degrees during the day. The hotel did place a 4 inch wide fan in my room, which wasn’t very practical. It transpires after a bit of research online that the council have asked to turn the AC off because the new system makes too much noise!! Room sizes are super small, I couldn’t walk around my bed, literally wall to wall, and I could only open the window two inches from the bottom! The water pressure on the fourth floor is very very low because of a faulty water pump which hasn’t been replaced. AVOID THE FORTH FLOOR! I was visiting England for the first time, and expected more from a 3 star hotel in Kensington. Id stay in a better hotel, the Holiday Inn which is literally opposite this hotel. And avoid the bread at breakfast time, it looked stale and looked like it came out of Asda Smartprice packaging.

Room Tip: Avoid the fourth floor, there is literally a small amount of water pressure and the Hotel is well aw...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank DavidBarton2013
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
I can only apologise for the AC problem which was completely out of our control. I know this cannot be much of a consolation for you but the issue has been resolved. I am baffled though about the other comments you made; I really hope this review is genuine. The hotel has been fully refurbished less than a year ago; say that "the owner has no money for..." it's just ridiculous. Water pump not change..? Completely untrue. I am very sorry you could not find anything positive at all about your stay with us. Ultimately, as you have put it yourself, it is all about expectations. If I may very politely suggest, as you were visiting England for the first time (but lives in London, UK...?), your idea of a three star hotel in central London does not reflect reality. Our aim is to be one of the best value for money hotel in this very nice part of the city. The majority of our guests's reviews seem to suggest we are there or at least moving in the right direction. Regards. Ferdinand. GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is two blocks from the Gloucester Road tube station which has three different lines, making this super convenient to get anywhere in London including the airports. The rooms look just as they do in the pictures on the website. They are clean and comfortable. I stayed in a single room and it was the perfect size for me, and the bathroom was a good size as well. The hotel staff is friendly and helpful, and the free breakfast offered is very convenient. The pricing was beyond great. The only downfall is that the walls are rather thin so if the people in the room next to you are being loud you can definitely hear them. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone who is traveling on their own or will be in town for a short stay. I will most likely continue to stay here on my trips to London.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ronnie T
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Well, what can I say. Thank you very much for your nice review. I am just so glad you mentioned the price, highlighting how good value for money we are considering the location! We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Thanks again. Ferdinand. GM
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed with a child under 2 yrs, the room we were given was tiny, there was no room to move at all AND on the hottest weekend of the year there was some dispute with the other tenants in adjoining houses so they were not able to run the air con !!! It was about 35 degrees in our room and unbearable . I asked to be moved and despite being fully booked they found 1 room in the basement was was available , It was marginally cooler , but the bed was tiny and rock hard . We only stayed 1 night and wont stay there again. Staff were friendly so cant fault the service in that respect. Looks like it has had a very cheap renovation, it was not finished well at all

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I'm just terribly sorry about the AC. Just totally out of our control. I know it's not much of a consolation for you, but this issue will be sorted out very soon. If you decide to come back, you may want to think about a Triple room; much larger, marginally more expensive.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed at thge Villa Kensington in a single room for three nights. Location was excellent, Staff more than helpful and polite. Hotel clean, breakfast fresh, really could not have asked for more from a budget hotel. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice and straightforward review. Glad you liked us. Take care and we hope to see you soon. Kind regards. Ferdinand. GM
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The staff was very nice and the room was clean. Breakfast was pretty good. We stayed here two nights and we were pleased with the experience. The price for a night's stay was a bit cheaper than others in the area.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We do appreciate you have taken the time to leave these comments. We hope you will choose to stay with us again. Best regards. Ferdinand. GM
Dorset england
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We came here after spending our wedding night in a very plush and expensive hotel. I wish we had saved our money and come here first. We were given a lovely room overlooking the gardens to the front which was bigger and quieter than the £300 room the night before. And the management gave us a bottle of bubbly on ice and special chocolates to welcome us on our honeymoon. Really wonderful and so touched by their kindness.
It is sooo quiet here considering how close you are to everything. You can catch a bus or the tube to everywhere and get back late without a problem. Try walking as Hyde Park which isnt that far away either
Im particular about hotels in London and have stayed in many for work and pleasure but this hotel is a gem. The facilities are good and you get continental breakfast too which is not often the case at this rating and this cost. Trust me its cheap and excellant quality for London. We will be back and thank you again Villa Kensington for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We had room 304 and loved it!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Caroline,
Well I can't thank you enough for writing such nice comments. Let us know when you are coming back next time, we will try our best to wow you again...!
Best regards. Ferdinand
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hotel was newly renovated, but workmanship was poor, especially in the bathroom - paint stains on new tiles, sloppy grout work, loose fittings. This is a sign of very poor attention to detail from the management. Furthermore, towels and bed linens were of poor quality and the air conditioner didn't work (in both rooms). The bed mattress was very hard as well. And the TV was tiny. The hotel is located in a good area, but surrounded by many other hotels. We thought we would be getting something special since most of the others were fairly dated, but this hotel, while perfectly acceptable, unfortunately doesn't really stand out from the crowd. Free wifi was decent, the free breakfast was continental only (most London hotels include a full English breakfast, the Villa Kensington charges extra for that). To summarize, I would return only if the room price was lower than other hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms in the basement get no natural light and have poor ventilation.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ferdinand P, General Manager at The Villa Kensington, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave these comments which in their essence are quite fair. I know is not much of a consolation for you, but the AC system will be operational within few days. I really hope you will choose to stay with us again.
Best regards