“Super adress !”

La Muse
Ranked #1,155 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: A little gem right on the Holloway road close to Highbury and Islington station. A lovely little independent, shabby chic, arty and very relaxed restaurant serving food cooked with passion for food. The menu changes frequently following the seasons but continually with French cooking as the heart of the menu. With the addition of daily specials there is always more to explore as the charcuterie which provides you with imported French gourmet products such as cheeses, saucissons and cured hams (Also available to buy to take out). There is also an extensive all French wine list with 16 wines served by the glass to suit every taste. We use locally sourced products and only the best ingredients (local butchers etc) At the back is a fantastic walled garden ideal for spring and summer times.
Paris, France
“Super adress !”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I will not forgot this bistrot : very good food and lovely people.
I tested the "magret de canard" and the "tarte tatin" that was really delicious !
Furthermore they have a wide range of very interesting wine to fit with all dishes at a very fair price!!

Don't miss it if you pass by Highbury & Islington !!

London, United Kingdom
“Daughter of Zeus - the power regarded as inspiring.”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

An unexpected find is one of those joys that elevate an otherwise unremarkable day to something else; La Muse is such a place.

Finding myself with a couple of hours to kill in Islington, having explored every shop, I was looking for a comfortable place to kick back and unwind at my own pace. Five minutes along Holloway Road I found it.

Initially my plan was for a strong espresso, little more. But so settling the ambiance, together with the gentle persuasion that their burger was the best one could find, along with a too tempting a wine list, I decided to go for something more substantial.

They were not exaggerating. I don't think I've ever applied the word 'magnificent' to a burger before (that was on sight, even before a bite - I'd say a must to go for the added cheese & bacon), and it was one so perfectly accompanied by the suggested glass of Corbières, Le Castelmaure. An enthused yet relaxed dedication in presenting a menu is always a winning touch.

In the past the relatively arid Corbières region held the mantle of uncomplicated production in vast quantities to quench the thirst an Empire, cultivating the vines since Roman times onwards. But that has changed these past two decades, and Corbières wines can now hold their own with the better known classic vintages of Bordeaux and Burgundy, matched by a much more palatable price. Here was no exception; passionately crimson with a piquant fragrance, full-bodied but not heavy and just the good side of spicy.

La Muse is much more than a bistro. Here is a place of individual character and charm that far advances expectation from entry past the central kitchen open at the heart and on to the kind of tables that make you want to stay long past your intention. At the rear you can see onto the most charming courtyard which, whilst not a choice destination upon an overcast day when I first stumbled upon this oasis, promises to be a popular secret upon a sunshine day. The best places transport you far from where you actually are - La Muse does this in spades.

If it is not yet evident, I was totally won over. Staff, food, drink, ambiance - this place ticks all and every box. It deserves to be a hidden gem to many, hence me writing this, even if I do feel I've discovered a treasure I want to keep to myself. I'll be back - that menu needs much more exploration.

1 Thank Giles2000
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Never judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My friend, who works at Holloway Road, suggested we go here for dinner last night. From the outside looking in i wasn't sure what to make of it, but all i can say is - if you like excellent, freshly prepared food, good service, a relaxed atmosphere then La Muse is the place to go. Seafood Platter is my idea of heaven and La Muse did not disappoint. Fantastic crème brulee for dessert and the meal was rounded off by a refreshing flora tea. The staff were attentive but also gave us time and space to to enjoy our meal, chat in a relaxed atmosphere with some wonderful music playing gently in the background. I will definitely be going back now that I have discovered this little gem.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Gem of a Bistro”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stumbled across this lovely little bistro a stone's throw from all the bland, over-priced restaurants on Upper Street. I had the duck and my friend had the steak. Both immaculately cooked and presented. Service was friendly and attentive, without being over-bearing. Some interesting wines, but we opted for the house plonk, which was excellent. The waiter told me they'd only been going for a short while, but this place surely deserves to be a success. Really great little, local bistro. Felt very at home.

• Visited April 2013
“Unexpectedly brilliant”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

It may not look like it from the outside, but this place does brilliant, simple French food at a great price. The service is great, wine list is short but reasonable, the steak, cassoulet and cheese board were all excellent.

• Visited April 2013