“For a budgeted trip, well worth it!”
Review of Mapesbury Hostel

Mapesbury Hostel
Mapesbury Hostel
Ranked #621 of 843 Specialty Lodging in London
New York City, New York
“For a budgeted trip, well worth it!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had a great time. Just remember, it is not a hotel, it is a hostel. You do have to do a bit of chores during your stay to keep your room nice. My friend and I had a private room on the 2nd floor and it was great. The bathroom and heat wave with no AC were the only down side.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hostel was absolutely revolting. I stayed for a week at 30 Chatsworth road. The room was not cleaned during my entire stay. When I checked out, I had to spend 20 minutes scrubbing my backpack before I could put it on my back as there was that much dust, hair, lint and dirt stuck to it from the floor. The bathrooms were revolting- toilets were not cleaned, the showers had urine in them, there were joint stubbs in the bin and ash in the sinks. I dont know why they employ 'cleaners' because they do not clean. Theres a point were dirty/untidy crosses over into unhygenic and this place was vile. I booked a 6 bed female dorm and was placed in an 8 bed female dorm with blokes barging in when ever they felt like. One night, a staff member was about to accommodate a male in our room until we pointed out it was a female dorm. That night a female was moved into our room from downstairs, at 12:30am. There were school groups staying causing noise at all hours, running up and down stairs and slamming doors. There is no staff on site so I guess that is why the school kids and other guests were running a muck. There is no aircon in the rooms so they get very hot. I was woken up twice one morning by 2 different staff members telling me to get out of bed and check out- my check out date was the following date (I had extended my stay) and when I explained this they did not apologise for waking me. I have stayed in backpackers all over the world over the past 10 years and this was by far the worst place I have ever stayed. The only good things were: Free pick up from train station, comfortable bed, no bed bugs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Olga S

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Me and my friends took a 3-bed private room and expected a small room without private bathroom and considering that we still knew the price was good. But we had a pretty big room, with private bathroom and toilet, a kitchen (with a refrigerator) and a free Wi-Fi. The house we stayed in also had a joined common room with a large TV, a kitchen and a small garden. The staff was very friendly and even gave us a free pick-up at the train station on the day we checked-in. All in all a great hostel for a minimum price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

i had a great time in this hostel. this place had every thing i needed to make my stay a good one
i was looking for a job in London at the time so i found that the free WiFi was a fantastic help in finding the right employment for me. when i was staying at this hostel around December time the Hostel management started making hot breakfast for all who were staying there...and even when out of there way to make sure we got a full Christmas dinner that the hostel paid for but we had to cook it are self. but that was fine as it makes all the tenants who were staying at this building get a bit closer and have Christmas lunch together for the festive time. it was nice as i was in London at Christmas time on my own...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed in this hostel during the time between when we arrived in London, and when we found some where more permanent to live. The chack in process was slow, although this didn't trouble us too much. The room had everything we needed, bar fridge, tv, cupboard etc. The whole place was kept exceptionally clean, it was cleaned daily. It was very new, and very well looked after.

There was a lovely backyard area with tables and chairs to eat at. It provided everything we needed. Located about 5 mins walk to the tube, which was great. Probably not the best place to stay if you're here to sight see, as it's not right in the town centre.

We didn't have a great sleep on any of the nights, as there was a large and really loud family staying in the room next door. I don't feel right criticising the hostel for this, although with children running around and no staff being present to keep things in order, this was a bit of a problem. I guess we haven't encountered this before because most places have a minimum age. The family was really very inconsiderate though, so this isn't so much the hostels fault.

Other than that we really felt our stay here was quite good and all our needs were met.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roopinoo
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed at Mapesbury hostel for a week in September 2011. The hostel was cleaned every morning by some nice South American people who even passed the hoover behind the fridge (that shocked me quite a bit. I mean... they moved the fridges every day to hoover behind them! is it something you do in your house? I don't). Location was also good as the hostel is halfway between Kilburn and Willesden Green tube stations - zone two - and close to 98 bus stop which passes through Maida Vale and Baker Street down to Oxford Street and Tottenham Ct Rd. I was in a six female dorm which was very spacious and clean, with three bunk beds, three wardrobes and a sofa. Sainsbury's and cash machines are a ten minutes walk away. Unfortunately the room was right next to the kitchen and social area which were locked after midnight and people were really loud while cooking and playing pool. Also, cleaners started working at 7am or so, making it impossible to sleep more than a few hours.
Apart from this I would recommend this hostel, but as the minimum stay is 7 days it's frequently chosen by people who are looking for a long term accommodation in London and are looking for a better place to stay than the crammed, dirty city centre hostels.
One last piece of information: there is no personnel whatsoever at the hostel. You have to call the reception (?) from Willesden Green tube stop as there are two buildings in two different streets (I was at the one in Brondesbury Park Road). Somebody will pick you up and take you to the right one, they will take your money while asking for your signature and explaining some basic stuff (map, breakfast, bathrooms) so quickly you'll have forgotten everything by the time they walk away. And you won't be seeing them anymore until your checkout day, when they will collect your keys and rather unpolitely refuse to give you a lift to the tube stop...

Room Tip: Stay away from the kitchen if you can.