“Best Indian food I have ever eaten (I haven't been to India)”
Review of Roots at N1 - CLOSED

Roots at N1
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A venture of 3 professionals from The Ritz London, Benares Mayfair & The Oberoi New Delhi
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stunning food, excellent service, there is nothing here that I wouldn't change. They have nailed it!

Roots N, Guest Relations Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Brixtleo,

Thank you for dining with us. Feels great to hear you enjoyed your evening with us.

See you soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

We wanted to find somewhere to celebrate the 20th anniversary of our meeting. I used Tripadvisor to find an Islington restaurant that'd we'd never been to before. Not easy when you've lived here for 13 years. I was surprised to find this place, so very highly rated, but which I'd not heard of. Ok it's the other side of Islington from us but still only a short taxi ride away. Anyway, the huge accolades on Tripadvisor were entirely justified! I'd recommend the soft shell carb starter, the duck main course and the chocolate truffle dessert. The staff were very pleasant and attentive also. My only criticism was that it got too hot on a balmy August night. The management need to add ceiling fans to keep the place cool.

1  Thank LFKUk

Dear LFKUK,

Thank you for choosing us on your special anniversary day. The team is delighted to hear you had a nice evening with us and you enjoyed the food and service. Apologies for the heat inside the restaurant, we have struggled with the heat inside the Restaurant. But we will certainly be better prepared next summer.

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I took a chance and booked here for my birthday meal as I have never eaten here before, I am so glad I did! I was so impressed by the incredible flavours of the sauces and the presentation was spot on. The service was exceptional, they struck the right balance of attentive but without being obtrusive. The suggested wine matches were great and made it easy for the diner and at a reasonable price too. The restaurant itself is quite small which made made it feel more intimate. I got the overall impression that they really cared that our dining experience was a good one. The only slight negative is that is was a little warm on a hot summers night but I guess that does not happen too often in the UK. Highly recommended and I would love to be get a hold of some of the recipes because I can not understand how they are so good!

1  Thank Adam_Carter

Dear Adam_Carter,

Thank you dining on your birthday. Gives the team great delight and satisfaction to hear you had a nice evening. Yes we have struggled this summer with the heat inside and were found wanting .We will work out something better for the next summer. Thank you for the suggestion.

Look forward to seeing you with us soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

After a try-out a few weeks ago, I knew this was the place for my 54th birthday. They were accommodating as the booking increased in numbers (and meant bending the rules!) as it ended up a party of 10.

You don't get these sorts of reviews for no reason. We are seasoned diners, and everyone was just blown away not only with the exquisite food, but the service which was, quite simply, the best I've ever experienced. Such professionalism with such warmth is a very hard thing to achieve and they do it with sheer panache. I should have asked the head waiter his name, as he looked after us so well. I am tired of huge, glitzy places where the food often disappoints and the service is distant, and nowhere demonstrates the joy of great neighbourhood restaurants like Roots (and what a fabulous neighbourhood!). If it was on Upper Street it would be over subscribed - they key is that it is away from the crowd, and there seems to be a lack of Michelin starred ego. Just a concise menu and a kitchen that knows how to deliver.

It's impossible to single out any particular dish, as everything was superb, though the dark rum marinated lamb chops are pungent, tender heaven on a plate.

A massive thanks for making it such a memorable evening, and I hope we weren't too loud, despite the copious amounts of wine. Here's to your continued success, and I can't wait to return (and impress more friends!). I wish I could give you 6 out of 5!

2  Thank trevgti

Dear Trevgti,

It was great to have you and your lovely friends for your dinner meal. Gives us immense pride to hear you enjoyed your evening with us. Thank you for your feedback. This certainly helps Chef Bhola and our Front of house team whom you have mentioned to do better and make every dining experience memorable.

Look forward to seeing you with us soon again. And also all your friends who came that day.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

My Girlfriend and I ate at Roots N1 last night for dinner. The restaurant was recommended to us by Marriott hotel that we were staying at. The food was amazing , very tasty with wonderful flavors , we were very impressed and pleases to say the least. The waiter was very friendly and made some great suggestions for food and wine which we followed his direction (so glad we did).

can't say enough great things about Roots N1 ... great food , great atmosphere .... We will dine here again for sure ....

Dear BobbySolis,

Thank you for dining with us. The team is thrilled to hear you enjoyed your evening with us.

Look forward to seeing you again.