“Different style indian food, brilliant service, excellent presentation.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roots at N1 - CLOSED

Roots at N1
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A venture of 3 professionals from The Ritz London, Benares Mayfair & The Oberoi New Delhi
London, United Kingdom
“Different style indian food, brilliant service, excellent presentation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

As an indian the menu is not truly to an indian taste even in the midst of anglo-indian restaurants, I was sceptical as the venue did not stand out and I thought the food would be bland. I was WRONG.
The service was excellent, can't fault it. You can tell this is their pride and joy and the love what they do.
On ordering we requested more spice, in some places they think this is cue to chuck a bottle of chilli owder into the dish, but the Roots chef balanced the flavours perfectly.
The honey glazed salmon was soft, the prawns and squid were tender.
My only criticisms- the presentation of the crab starter needs improving and more unique vegetarian main options are needed to the menu.
The butter chicken was ok, not the best I have had and the biryani had a wonderful new taste.
But the best dish by far was pan seared duck breast on kerala potato with the coconut sauce.
I'm so glad I asked them to spice up the sauce as it was divine! The dish was hearty yet refined.
oh and a special mention about the complimentary amouse bouche -pumpkin soup-silky smooth and heavenly. the palate cleanser was also refreshing.
Starter £6-8. Mains £14-£20.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Roots N, Guest Relations Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Discrete 189,

Thank-you for dining with us.I am delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us and thank you for complimenting the service as well.

You in depth feedback will help us to improve. Our goal is to get better and better by the day. It was a great pleasure to have you and friends with us.

Look forward to seeing you again.

London
“Creative Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The menu is very creative , different from a classical indian rest. It is also very tasty , the location is in a residential area. you have to make a reservation

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Chemli N,

Thank-you for dining with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your evening with us. I will pass you comments to the team.Look forward to seeing you soon.

“Absolutely superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Indian is by far my favourite cuisine, and I've eaten a lot of it, but this really takes it to another level. Gourmet without being pretentious, fusion without compromise. The portions are generous and the service would not be out of place in one of the top Michelin restaurants. Our waiter even noticed we loved a particular sauce and came with a jug more of it to top us up. The prices are a little more than you'd pay for a normal Indian, but really very reasonable considering the service and quality. I'm looking for an excuse to go back already.

Roots N, General Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Jools_B_London,

Thank-you for dining with us and complimenting the food and service. I am delighted to hear your comments. It certainly motivates us to work harder. I will pass on your comments to the team who will be very happy to hear them.

Look forward to seeing you again with us.

London
“Great place for Indian food if you want more than just curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Booked on the strength of reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed in any way. Great restaurant on the ground floor of a converted pub in the centre of Barnsbury. Exceptional food with a really diverse range of dishes. Really good service. Nothing to fault about this, will go again soon.

1 Thank ianx1london
Roots N, Guest Relations Manager at Roots at N1, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear ianx1london,

Thank-you for dining with us. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your evening. Thank you for complimenting the food and the service. I will pass on your comments to the team who will be delighted to hear them.

Look forward to seeing you again with us.

Rohit & team Roots.
“Truly Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

This has now joined the ranks as being one of my favourite Indian restaurants in London a hidden gem in delightful Islington. I have dined in vast numbers of Indian eateries around the world, including all over India and like the fact this place takes a creative approach to offering a smaller selection of refined dishes. We shared a starter, 2 main, dal, rice and naan and a dessert and left very full. The lamb shank was delicious. The mango lassi outstanding and the masala chai authentic perfectly sweetened. It is refreshing to not be presented with a pile of poppadums and greasy onion bhajis and we appreciated instead the amuse bouche, generous portions and overall good service. It's not cheap but nor is it overpriced and the atmosphere is warm and welcoming. Will return.

Dear laterallife,

Thank-you for dining with us. It gives us immense satisfaction as a team to hear your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your evening with us.

For someone like yourself who has dined all around including India it is a matter of great pride to hear your comments. We put a lot of effort in every thing we do and thank you for complimenting the lassi, chai and shank.

Your feedback reaffirms our faith that if we focus on the process, the results will take care of itself.

Look forward to seeing you again with us when you are back again.