“Outstanding”
Review of Roots at N1 - CLOSED

Roots at N1
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A venture of 3 professionals from The Ritz London, Benares Mayfair & The Oberoi New Delhi
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Been here a number of times and this place is outstanding. Simply the best in London. Imaginative food, super service. All you can ask for - just don't go here expecting a chicken vindaloo...

Reviewed December 4, 2012

A Great,sophisticated,peaceful and enjoyable experience with great decor and a half view of the kitchen and chefs. Ambience is pleasant. I have enjoyed each meal here and wonder why I don't make more of an effort to get here more often. Not the same food other indian restaurants serve but that isn't always a bad thing.

Must say - very personal service and great menu :-)Aarti

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We choose this restaurant because it was near our daughter's London flat and our old London home, and because Tripadvisor ranks it so high. Wow is it good! It was not full and deserves to be! The menu is small but we all loved the choices. The chicken dishes were so authentic, no greasy sauces here. My partridge (recommended over the venison) was simply bliss. Great starters involving beetroot and side dishes of real class; then there are the nans - they are class, dispelling the image we have of heavy breads coming from India.

Readers may think we are at The Cinnamon Club, and to an extent you are because there is this huge skill of crossing over local produce and Indian cuisine, but, the prices are much lower. The whole experience is good. The service was perfectly paced, two hours for dinner, and I agree with other reviewers that the wine and drinks list are good and fairly priced.

What more can one say, but GO to this old pub off the beaten track in Barnsbury and have a marvellous eating experience.
We will be back and our daughter and her boyfriend are apparently about to book.

3  Thank linskitours
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is not a tradtional high street Indian restaurant that serves the usual cliche of dishes. If thats what you want go elsewhere unless you want to try fine dining. The staff are highly professional, sophisticated, attentive and knowledgeable. The food is exceptional. I am a regular at Roots and have taken numerous friends and family members who are unanimous in their view that Roots is genuinely one of the best restaurants in London. The menu is reassuringly short and absent the usual Indian cliché dishes. The food is creative and interesting, the menu changes regularly and is cooked with passion and precision. The amuse bouche of beautifully spiced soup is always excellent, the bread basket is so moreish one has to exercise great restraint and the house specials like Basil Tikka Masala are a triumph. Cod with lemon, coriander and coconut is wonderful and the Roots Carrot pudding addictive. The presentation and attention to detail that goes into each plate is utterly impressive. Roots is a restaurant to linger in, to enjoy a great (short) yet well matched wine list and wait with anticipation for your divine plates to arrive. Price wise Roots is exceptional value for money and therefore I cannot recommend Roots highly enough. I feel extremely lucky that I live in Islington so that I can visit frequently. These guys deserve to be very successful and I have no doubt they will be.

1  Thank michelle r
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Let's make this short. My partner and I, both foodies, good cooks, very well travelled for over 40 years, living in Manhattan both rated this one of the very best meals we had EVER experienced. A cozy beautiful but modest space and attentive service from one of the owners in a somewhat remote part of London. Go there.

1  Thank Jenesaisrich