“Unusual experience, worth a go”
Review of Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu
Ranked #2,391 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: African
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Unusual experience, worth a go”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This joint is impressive. It's a bit 'Vegas' but it is nothing if not striking. The bar prices are staggering, go for happy hour. We were seated efficiently and everything went quite well. Food was delivered quite quickly, and the menu offers up some unusual options. You certainly pay the price for it, but it is what it is. The crocodile cigars were ok, but did not benefit from having croc in them; the sauce and pastry completely disguised anything unusual about the ingredients. I've eaten 'gator before in South America and really likes it so I was rather looking forward to it. Unfortunately it could have been anything. My friend had Springbok carpaccio and that was excellent. I has serious food envy.

When the mains came, my croc & beef stew (the name of which I forget) mine had virtually nothing but a potato and a lump of meat. I complained and it was replaced with another, this time with plenty of both beef and croc in it. I fail to see how this could have happened in the first place, but errors happen. Again, there was no real sense that it was worth the money; the flavours of the meats were completely covered, and yet somehow the dish was actually quite bland and watery. The rice was, well, rice. Nothing special, and when they're charging these prices, that's unacceptable.

Again, my friend's meal was significantly better. The Zebra was delicious. Again pricey, and with no included sides this takes expensive into rip-off territory.

Service was functional, but there were 14 of us dining and drinking (we spent a LOT between us) when we were told to clear the table. We could see other free tables no smaller than ours. I understand they have to turn tables but they were milking the cash out of us so to be asked to move feels a little much.

I'm glad I've been. I'm not going to go again. It was only the fact that my friend's food was good that saved this from a 2 or 1 star review. Mine was, frankly, crap. And the service was on the underside of OK. It's overpriced, doubtless, but definitely unusual.

• Polish first
“Worth going - once”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Given that Shaka Zulu has a unique status as (I believe) London's only African-themed restaurant it should be absolutely amazing. However it seems that instead of making good use of this it is abusing its position.

The decor is fabulous but the food, despite the options being unlike anything you'll find on a 'normal' menu, is as underwhelming as the service (although at times that was not so much underwhelming as non-existent).

Pre-dinner cocktails in the upstairs bar had to be chased up and, despite saying we were there to eat no one offered us a menu until we had actually taken our seats in the downstairs restaurant. And, as someone else has pointed out, the amount of ice in the glass meant that the cocktail content was little more than a shot measure.

I've eaten Zebra before and was therefore quite embarrassed that, having said how tender it was, the fillet that was served was akin to a Berni Inn (remember them?) rump steak even when served medium rare.

When you are paying around £25 for your main course and then an additional £3.50 for each side dish the costs soon rack up...and don't get me started on the £7 deserts and £9 cheeseboard.

Located in the vibrant heart of Camden Lock, this restaurant has an ideal catchment area for something different so if you fancy a change from the usual and don't mind forking out upwards of £50 a head for an average meal then give it a go. But there are so many better options...

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing decor, horrible food”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I found it Shaka Zulu so disppointed, why do they put so much work in the decor of the place (which I must say is quite impressive) and have such crappy horrible food. I had terrible steak with full of fatty stuff in it. The place is gorgeous though. a shame, Isabel

• Visited July 2013
Shaka Z, General Manager at Shaka Zulu, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback following your recent visit to Shaka Zulu.

We are saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your meal. We are confident that your server or the manager would have been happy to change your meal for you if they were aware that you were unhappy with it.

We hope that you will choose to revisit Shaka Zulu, as we are confident that you would enjoy your meal and receive the true Shaka Zulu experience.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love Shaka Zulu so much”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I booked the Party Package for 6 of us.
What a place to have fun with my lovely friends.
Thank you so much Shaka Zulu .
Please keep the place like this and i'm sure we will be back soon.

1 Thank Pukakok13
Hi there,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal and first Shaka Zulu experience. We have recently launched our new party packages which we highly recommend for future visits.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, Fantastic Fantastic”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Ohh Lovely place , fantastic food , brilliant club , music great, really good night, would recommend to all ages young and old. Lovely place

1 Thank CooldudesRus
Hi there,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and we hope to see you again soon for many more great Shaka Zulu experiences.