“Average”

Shaka Zulu
Ranked #2,213 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Entering down the escalator gives you a sense of a magical place below. Reception staff were friendly and welcoming. Despite having a reservation, they initially couldn't see it as they had changed the first letter of our name on their system.

We were shown down to our table, and left with a brief menu. The reason we came to Shaka Zulu was because we were given a voucher for Christmas. Voucher obviously means that you don't get the full menu. Now, I must say, sometimes a brief menu is ok. Sadly at Shaka Zulu it was not. This is a South African restaurant, but there wasn't a great deal South African about the menu, in fact much of it could apply to many nations. I had had a sneaky look at the sample menu on their website earlier in the day and saw Zebra, and there was a YouTube clip where they were cooking Kudu - so I was quite excited about Shaka Zulu.

So, the menu. Starters Lamb Shank Samoosas, Mackerel pate or game tarine, and mains a Bean Stew (is how the waitress described it), sirloin steak or Sea Bass. Now you might see my point about the disappointment when compared to the possibility of having Zebra or Kudu.

The voucher entitled us to a Champagne cocktail, which transpired to be a choice of a champagne based or rum based cocktail. We had one of each, which were ok

We went for a pate and a samoosa for starter, both of which were actually very nice. For mains we had a sirloin steak and a bean stew. The steak had a lovely bit of gristle through it which sadly just added to my disappointment. The steak came with sprouting broccoli - no potato. The bean stew, was very tinned tomatoesque - that did come with rice.

We decided to have pudding, and had a cherry and chocolate brownie - not entirely sure there was any cherry in it, and a Gooseberry Brandy pudding - which lacked a taste of gooseberry..

We asked for two Amarula's to go with pudding (we had discovered this when we were in South Africa). I can only say that you would get a lot more Amerula for your money if you were in South Africa as opposed to this restaurant in Camden. £4.50 each, for what was maybe a quarter of a shot.

Atmosphere was nice, we had a table for two, although in a busy thoroughfare it wasn't in the way and we felt that we had privacy. The restaurant had girls in leotards putting themselves in bendy positions, and one walking around with a snake that you could stroke (the snake, not the girl).

The waiting staff were very laid back yet attentive. I did begrudge a 12.5% service charge - some will say 'welcome to Camden' I say 'its a cheek,' a way of the restaurant imposing a tax on its customers knowing that very few will refuse to pay it.

The exit is very bizarre. You leave through a door that honestly looks like a fire exit. The lift wasn't working, and the doorman explained that they had put a block on it (not sure that is overly good for disabled customers). Once you get up to ground level you exit to be faced with the queue to get in.

All in all an average experience. To say that we wont go back would be a strong statement, as I am sure the lure of sampling a proper menu may be too strong. On this visit though, a very average experience.

• Polish first
Surrey
“Above average night club experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I visited Shaka Zulu for a friend's birthday last night. We did not eat- it was more of a night time visit, however it was very pleasant. The drinks were lovely (bit pricey but standard for a London club spot), the staff were friendly enough. Bit of a snooty vibe but again that seems to be pretty standard in London these days. Entry fee was £10 which I thought wasn't too bad for London! A couple of friends did not get in due to incorrect dress which I thought was harsh considering there was such a large group of us, however I supposed rules are rules. Overall a pleasant night.

London, United Kingdom
“good first experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

First African restaurant we ate in

Good food
My husband loved Zebra and Wilderbeast fillet
and cinnamon roasted butternut

bread is nice change too

Tasty

and absolutely adored the MELKTART!

Changing menus - so if the zebra meat is light colour (not marinated) -try it

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best Valentine's night deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Went to Shaka Zulu this 14th Feb for their package deal (£30 each) plus £10 per couple for a glass each of fizz and a rose. I have to say that I was very impressed with trouble the SZ team had gone to to give us a great Valentine's experience.

I have been so disappointed with the bland and dreary money making deals offered by top London restos and venues in the past it was a real surprise to see the customer's needs being placed first.

The complex multi course meal was suberly designed, cooked and presented - a vast improvement on the slipping standards of the past - has the management at last seen the light and engaged new, trained chefs? Actual quality entertainment was provided by an accomplished ballad singer mingling with the dinners.

Well done Shaka Zulu, will be coming back for more.

Paul C

“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Drove upto London last Saturday on the 9 February went to Camden market and found Shaka Zulu woo what a great place from entering going down the escalator staffing greeting us and the whole experience service was second to none the bar staff the waiting staff and the food was out of this world we will surly return again soon.

1 Thank M8nav