“Worst place in borough market”
Review of Patisserie Lila

Patisserie Lila
Ranked #278 of 279 Bakeries in London
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Southwark
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst place in borough market”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

If you want to be rushed and served terrible food and shoddy drink at a rip off price, this is the place for you. The attitude of the staff is humorously terrible. The ?owner herself is a particular gem. I was disappointed on my previous visit, but I don't like to judge a place on one visit. Mistake. The worst lemon meringue pie of my life. I had to spoon off the meringue to eat the hockey puck base because I was going get my £4 worth of calories. Oh, and you'll get the bill mid meal and there is no toilet. It's a cafe! The only thing they have going for them is the location to ensnare innocent tourists and passers by. Avoid avoid avoid.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Sangi Angis R

Leicester
“Run by the Basil Fawlty of the cafe world”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were in the mood for an afternoon cuppa and some cake. This looked a lovely spot overlooking Borough Market. Indeed, the tea and the cake were excellent.
We were very amused by the rudeness of the patron who didn't seem to understand that one often goes into a tea shop for tea and insisted everyone had a piece of cake also. She made one party move because there was a spare seat at the table.
Worth the visit to see how not to run a café. The service from her employees was apologetic but the tea and cake were very lovely. My cake was not too sweet and an extremely large portion.
But, arrive with a sense of humour - you'll need it to deal with the owner!

2 Thank HPL93
southampton
“Wasn't allowed no give a zero!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Terrible and pretentious, i was told to wake and take my sleeping 6 month old twin babies out of their buggy (which is designed to be no wider than a single buggy) and to fold the buggy away despite the place being empty! Empty!! Anyone who is a parent will know how ridiculous their request was.

Now reading the other reviews I am not surprised why this place was empty maybe the rude staff did us a favour by being so unreasonable with their ridiculous request!

2 Thank SouthamptonLucy
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I found a hair in my brioche!!! Truly awful experience”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place does not deserve to be in Borough Market!!!
My husband and I decided on our only day free together, to visit borough Market, we thought a nice coffee and a treat would be a good start, we sat down ordered two coffees and a couple of brioche bread.
To my surprise the first thing I tasted on my brioche was a hair!!! I was absolutely disgusted but decided not to make a fuss, I called the lady and explained what happened which she just said: It is not human!!! not even a sorry! and left!!!
As we had just ordered our coffee we decided to stay but I did not fancy anything else from this coffee place, I went ouside and bought a cookie to have with my coffee to which a grumpy looking woman asked the waitress to come and confront me. The waitress asked me not to eat the cookie inside as I had not bought it from them, I politely asked to talk to the lady to explain the reason why I did not fancy her cakes but she refused to see me.
The waitress asked me to please not make a fuss as her boss would be very angry with her and she would be in so much trouble.
I had no intention in taking any time to complain or write anything negative, but that woman's attitude was appalling, we are her costumers who are keeping her business open, she does not deserve to be in borough market.

1 Thank lulla u
London, United Kingdom
“Staining the good name of Borough Market”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This place is a disgrace and embarrassment to the good name of Borough Market which has built its name and reputation on delicious, fresh food and drinks. We were served inedible cup cakes that must have been at least a week old if not more. The sponge was more like a crusty bread than a cake but mistakes happen and perhaps they were sold to us in error? Oh no, it was us that were wrong and the hilariously rude owner refused to take them off the bill telling us "this is how cupcakes are supposed to be, I don't like them anyway". But perhaps she could redeem herself and look us in the eye to wish us a pleasant day as we paid the bill and left? No...she scuttled away upstairs leaving the young waitress to deal with the situation. Incompetant, rude, arrogant....avoid in the same way you'd avoid the norovirus. And Borough Market...you need to sort this place out before it ruins your reputation, because it would seem like our experience is not a one off.

2 Thank MatRiches