“Disappointed”

Ranked #563 of 1,091 Coffee & Tea in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2013

From reading the reviews it sounds like people have had very different experiences here. I can only comment on my own experience and I can say I was extremely disappointed. I went with my sister who had been the year before and said the afternoon tea was fantastic and recommended it to me. She had got a voucher from Groupon so when I saw it come up on wowcher i bought one and took my sister along. By the end of the experience she felt guilty for recommending it as it was a completely different experience than before.
The staff were lovely and very professional so no issues there but the food was below standard for a restaurant of this standard. Nothing was homemade apart from the stale sandwiches, all the cakes were bought and a complete joke was the huge ring doghnut placed on the plate. I had an identical one from Greggs the bakers a few weeks previously!! I have been to many afternoon teas with friends and family and this was the worst by far. What made me laugh was that the food they bought for us wasnt enough for 1 person let alone 2 as it was supposed to. There were 3 mini cakes, so not even 2 each, a scone each and a huge doughnut and a big slice of shop bough sponge cake. It got a bit messy as we were having to cut things up! There was a small bowl of fruit on the top of the stand with some berries and grapes in it. I am not a fussy eater at all and will usually eat most things but we left most of the cakes. The sandwiches must have been standing there a while as my bread was actually hard! The sandwiches my sister ate were ok though.
I wouldnt like to say not to bother going here as it sounds like it depends what day you go as to what service and food you get. Some people have had a great experience here so it must depend.

2  Thank ShelbyMJ

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Sandwiches n cakes are not dainty to say the least but overall a good experience with attentive and friendly staff.
Can't complain on a wowcher deal
Value for money.
I bet this resturant is fantastic I the evening too and I shall be back to visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

On arrival we received a warm, no fuss, welcome and from our table were able to enjoy the activity on the river and nearby helipad. The views from this restaurant of the river Thames are splendid.

Within moments of being seated, we received a glass of a nice, ice cold bubbly, a good selection of freshly made sandwiches, a fruit scone with jam and clotted cream each, a selection of fresh fruit and of bite sized tortes and tarlets.... We enjoyed everything we received. The waiting staff were friendly, attentive and helpful too.
We have booked to return.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We were treated to afternoon tea as a present and I would have to agree with other reviews on here to say that the food was awful. The staff were pleasant enough, however the bread was stale, the cakes were clearly shop bought and the scones were completely frozon in the middle.

We complained and about half an hour later the scones reappeared after a good long zap in the microwave so were far too hot and soggy.

Not an experience I would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank CPUK_12
Reviewed February 25, 2012

we had a cream tea here via an offer yesterday - very good value, non of us managed to finish our tea there was so much on offer. We started with 4 sandwiches and a glass of champagne then had a very creamy cheesecake "interlude" followed by a variety of mini cakes and a plate of fresh fruit , 2 scones with jam and cream, then a variety of teas or coffee on offer. The view of the river was great too - can definitely recommend :D