“A nice Afternoon Tea in a splendid location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Afternoon Tea at Rafayel on the Left Bank

Afternoon Tea at Rafayel on the Left Bank
Ranked #700 of 834 Coffee & Tea in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“A nice Afternoon Tea in a splendid location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

On arrival we received a warm, no fuss, welcome and from our table were able to enjoy the activity on the river and nearby helipad. The views from this restaurant of the river Thames are splendid.

Within moments of being seated, we received a glass of a nice, ice cold bubbly, a good selection of freshly made sandwiches, a fruit scone with jam and clotted cream each, a selection of fresh fruit and of bite sized tortes and tarlets.... We enjoyed everything we received. The waiting staff were friendly, attentive and helpful too.
We have booked to return.

• Visited January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Afternoon Tea - would not recommend”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We were treated to afternoon tea as a present and I would have to agree with other reviews on here to say that the food was awful. The staff were pleasant enough, however the bread was stale, the cakes were clearly shop bought and the scones were completely frozon in the middle.

We complained and about half an hour later the scones reappeared after a good long zap in the microwave so were far too hot and soggy.

Not an experience I would recommend to anyone.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank CPUK_12
london
“truly scrumptious :D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

we had a cream tea here via an offer yesterday - very good value, non of us managed to finish our tea there was so much on offer. We started with 4 sandwiches and a glass of champagne then had a very creamy cheesecake "interlude" followed by a variety of mini cakes and a plate of fresh fruit , 2 scones with jam and cream, then a variety of teas or coffee on offer. The view of the river was great too - can definitely recommend :D

• Visited February 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Rafayel afternoon tea - didn't reach it's full potential - shame”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I booked champagne afternoon tea through Groupon as a birthday treat for 3 of us. I read poor reviews on Trip Advisor so called the manager the day before to say I was concerned about travelling and wasting a day's leave from work for poor service and quality. The manager said he was aware of poor reviews and insisted that all was now in order. The sandwiches were served on oblong plates, we each had one as if it was a lunch, 4 x half rounds with the crusts cut off. I used a knife so that I had 8 little fingers which looked nicer. Champagne was brought to the table in very lightweight cheap glasses. Very sweet - possibly sparkling wine not champagne. Water was served in glass water bottles with the word sparkling on it, however these were old bottles filled with filter water and not fresh bottled water. The napkins were nasty cheap paper, the tea didn't arrive and when requested I was told this would be served with the dessert. When it arrived it was in dirty stainless steel pots - hardly afternoon tea style. The empty cake stand stayed on the table and the waiter brought us shot glasses with mini triffles in them. Not presented on a plate just with teaspoons and plonked on the table. Hillarious really. The cake stand eventually got filled with 3 huge slices of what looked like cheesecake, but there were no side plates or cutlerty. Other diners had different afternoon tea cakes. The rest of the restuarant had proper linen napkins. This place just doesnt have a clue. The staff were pleasant enough, but there is no management. A bit of a joke to say that it was an offer. I had asked what the true full price was and the staff told me that it was usually £44 each, but as the offer worked out at £23 each they would charge this for the third person. My niece thought maybe it was so bad as it was an offer but everyone else had same kind of rubbish. Disappointing indeed! Don't bother.

• Visited October 2011
London
“Very poor, a rip off sadly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

I believe I bought this afternoon tea in May from Groupon at a cost of £29.95. I went yesterday with a friend and the outlay was not even worth £9.95.

Upon arriving we were seated quickly and given a glass of water and sparkling wine almost immediately. I think that because this deal was used months after it went to sale, the demand was not as busy as has been reported by others, it was very quiet and we were seated beside the window ensuring a nice view of the river and the nearby helipad.

Servings consisted firstly of sandwiches. There were four (halves) and the fillings were:

1. tinned flaked salmon,
2. some kind of gerkin and onion/leek mix on cream cheese,
3. some kind of mustard seed and cream cheese mix
4. cucumber on cream cheese.

Very average, edible.

Secondly, we were served a lemon flavoured mousse with a biscuit (tough) base. I think we were told it was "white chocolate mousse". It had some kind of fruit sauce just above the biscuit base and was rather nice, but not spectacular.

We were then offered a (very ordinary) selection of teas to choose from which came with the pièce de résistance; the selection of baked goods and scones. They intended to serve each stand one at a time but I asked them to bring it all out so we could choose what we wanted to eat from the whole selection- optimistically- anticipating a wonderful plentiful platter. Well, that was delusional. This platter consisted of plain and fruit scones with clotted cream and a red jam that I will assume was strawberry, and then a selection of 5 little sweets. And some scraps of fruit- about 5 grapes, a tablespoon of blueberries and a few raspberries. The grapes didn't even come on their branch. I asked them where the cake was to which I was told that the mousse had replaced the cake.The picture is the sum total of this hotel's afterrnoon tea to which they claimed was worth £59.95. Appalling. This was the first time I have had an afternoon tea, and as far as I am concerned I am still yet to experience one. And we had dirty cutlery.

• Visited October 2011