“Average japanese food”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Average japanese food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We didnt have much to eat, 2 starters and a main noodle soup dish, but it was all very average... The soup needed spices and spicy sauce to give it some taste... Nothing special

1 Thank Abeer C

London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“They tried to pass off another table's order to me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I just want to express my extreme disappointment with how my first, and now last, visit to this establishment was. The person I was with was served his food and then after twenty minutes I asked where my food was and to my shock I was told not only was it served to a different table, but that I was then to expect the dish that table had ordered though it was a different dish. I can understand serving my food to another table but to have the audacity to assume I would their mistake and then serve me what I has asked for? When I tried to talk to the manager, he would not look me in the eye, and to be honest I can't believe he is the actual manager as he has absolutely no capability of dealing with customers. I am a Brixton resident who spends enough time and money in the Brixton market area with plenty of friends who also have plenty of disposable income and I will definitely relate to them my horrible experience and will vehemently discourage any of them from patronising this establishment as they seem to have no understanding or appreciation as to how to treat people who have innumerous other eating establishments they can take their hard earned money to.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank D'Arcy M
London, Canada
“Terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had dinner here. My guest ordered a curry and while I was served promptly we waited another 15 minutes before having to asked about my guests dish. They explained that they had served it to anther table and that they would give him a different dish instead. When we complained to management they said nothing and were not at all helpful. In the end we left with only one person eating. Also the wine we ordered was not available so they gave us another (with out asking) which was more expensive.

The worst service I've had in a long time!

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great new menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have been to Curry Ono several times now and love the authentic Japanese home cooking. Although I have only visited Japan twice, I introduced a Japanese friend to the restaurant and she said the food was just like her mother would have made - and I can vouch for her mother being a very good cook! She also told me that a few of the Japanese restaurants she has been to in London use ready made stock cubes, but Curry Ono tell us that they make their sauce on the premises. It certainly tastes home-made and, to use one of the few Japanese words I know, oishii - it is delicious!

Since I was there about a month ago, they have expanded the menu. They still have favourites like katsu curry (pork or chicken), but they also now do noodle dishes. I particularly liked the soup with ramen, pork and vegetables - a complete and filling meal at £7. Another innovation is the sake menu, with Japanese rice wines from across the country.

One small quibble: the service needs to be a bit faster when they are busy. I would suggest telling the waiter that you have to leave by a certain time if going to the Ritzy cinema for a show. Although, to be fair, the waiters are always polite, cheerful and helpful in explaining the menu. And a meal is very good value - I have rarely spent more than £20 for three courses and a drink.

Curry Ono has definitely become a regular for me in Brixton. Long may the market continue to thrive!

• Visited April 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
“excellent value healthy delicious home made japanese curry and other dishes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I went there several times and the quality was always excellent and consistent. Healthy food. No chemicals used to enhance the flavours. A large selection of starters. The house is specialised in japanese curry which here is really mastered. The owner and staff are professional, efficient, and friendly in a subdued discreet japanese way. The atmosphere is clean and modern. Extremely reasonnably priced for the quality.

• Visited February 2012