“slightly disappointed”

The Crooked Well
Ranked #3,684 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Crooked Well is a neighbourhood favourite in the heart of Camberwell. Our award winning drinks list of classic cocktails, local beers and handpicked wines is sure to quench your thirst. And whether you are looking for a light bite or a full slap-up meal, our seasonal menu of family-style sharing dishes, and modern european home-cooking will fit the bill.
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Went here last night for a birthday party - we booked out the top floor which is a really nice big space. We had our own waiter which was a nice touch and the service was great all night. I was slightly annoyed, however, that we were given a set menu at £24 for 2 courses and £29.95 for 3. It was hard to see how this represented good value for money given that the individual items on the normal menu did not add up to this much. A group set menu should be less than the individual item price, as the restaurant is gaining a lot of custom, service charges and of course we ordered lots of wine.

When we raised this issue the waiter was eventually understanding and we managed to secure the normal menu prices for the items, but it made us feel a bit uncomfortable. We just couldn't understand why they would charge us more for the same thing.

To be fair, my main course (the polenta) was delicious, and everyone else seemed to enjoy their dishes. Pudding was a different story though - the two boys who ordered the panna cotta didn't enjoy it at all, saying it was too sweet and dense and the raspberry sauce wasn't tangy enough.

So all in all, we did have a good time and I think the food here is probably mostly very good. I think though that they should have a better group menu (inc. vegetarian options!) and should sort out their panna cotta! Thanks to our waiter though who was lovely.

JenAries, Owner at The Crooked Well, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

I can only apologise for your experience with us regarding the pricing. This was in fact entirely an honest mistake, as your menu was infact incorrectly priced. This has never yet happened with our over a hundred private parties in the new private dining rooms and we quite simply dropped the ball on this one. I am so sorry and can assure you if you'd ever like to use our private dining rooms in the future you will not encounter incorrect pricing again. Please feel free to get in touch with me directly with any further questions or feedback - jen@thecrookedwell.com

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have eaten at the Crooked Well on several occasions and found it extremely nice, unfortunately this time I did not. There were 7 of us dining and we looked at the menu on line before we went. The menu on line was not the menu given to us. I chose sea bass which came up really small and was smothered in Lemon. It will be quite a well before I eat there again

JenAries, Owner at The Crooked Well, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

I am so sorry about the menu online differing from the one you were given on the night. As we have daily deliveries and we are coming into the new season dishes will be changing. We try to update the sample menu as often as possible and I'm sorry it wasn't done on this occasion. As for the Seabass, our lime purée is proving to be a real crowd divider. I'm sorry it disappointed. Please do get in touch directly with any more feedback jen@thecrookedwell.com.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Why is this place an 8/10?

A lot of pubs these days like to talk about how they have a unique 'twist' on great food. But when you actually sit down to eat and drink this turns out not to be the case, because the business feels it is a good marketing ploy, but doesn't have the skill and experience in their business to actually pull it off. At the Crooked Well some one obviously does know what they are doing on this point at the whole place is very well put together, a relaxed and premium interior serving food and drink choices leaving you wonder like why isn't every one else doing this. Like Rabbit pie, old school, genius. The soup of the day , very easy to be lazy here. Not at the Crooked well, superb Carrot and Pumpkin soup with a seasoned cream and nuts, totally a home run! With a long list of places lining up to serve that same old boring stuff, this place is ahead of the game by presenting surprisingly different food and drink choices.

The service, all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW. Where did they find so many competent waiters and waitresses to work here, and their tour de force in front of house service, no question, is that all the staff are happy to be doing their job!! , no grumpy waiters here, and how often does this happen! I don't know how this result was achieved but I tip my cap to the pub on this.

The only reason this wasn't a shining 5 star review is that the main course of 2 roast beef meals was average at best. These meals were clearly cooked to specification, its just that the design of the dish was below par. Dry potatoes being the worst offender. Crooked well, if you read this site. Please take a look at this, we also ordered 2 roast beef on our previous visit also served with dry roast potatoes. (making me think its he cooking technique that's a bit off, too long in the oven, did you steam them first?) I probably wont order this dish again because of this , but I will return as overall you guys have something good going on here.

Thank you for looking after us , see you again soon :)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We're new to the neighborhood and were very happy to find this restaurant near us. We were looking forward to a great meal after seeing the menu--so creative and unusual. But we were deeply disappointed. My girlfriend and I came to the same conclusion independently. Our potted crab starter was very average and tasted like a party dip.

My steak was a small, gristly cut, with little flavor. It was served with nothing but a half tomato, looked like a children's portion, and given this, was way overpriced. My girlfriend had sea bass (again, tiny portion) with a lime dressing that looked and tasted like sour glue.

in fact, for the first time in my life, I passed on dessert only because I was certain it wouldn't live up to its billing (based on my experience with the starter and main).

The service was friendly and competent, so I'm sorry to give such a negative review.
Maybe it was just an off night, because others have given great reviews, but I don't plan on going back.

JenAries, Owner at The Crooked Well, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

I am so sorry you didn't enjoy your meal with us. I can't argue with your taste buds, so I can only apologise sincerely. I am glad you recognised our service, however.
We source the best ingredients, so I can't explain the steak, and that particular lime dressing has proven to be a real "marmite" - you love it or hate it! For as many people have said they hate it, 4 times more lap it up. Perhaps we should look at serving it another way incase the customer doesn't like it. Anyway, this is a constructive note for us to work with.
I do wish you had let your server on the night know you were unhappy. We'll happily exchange a dish if you feel it has fallen short, without fuss or drama and as quickly as possible, and certainly we could have spoiled you with a pud :)
As a recently moved new local, I do ask you to come back and try us again. We live just down the road ourselves, there are plenty of familiar faces, and return custom is so important to us for many reasons. Maybe drop me a line if you would like to give us another shot.
Kind Regards, and once again, I am very sorry you did not enjoy your first visit to us.
Jen Aries
jen@thecrookedwell.com

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is an old pub converted into one of South London's best restaurants. It manages to combine a cool / groovy pub like atmosphere with a restaurant from heaven. The staff and management are fantastic, the menu more so and I have yet to meet anyone who has been who doesn't walk out with a smile on their face. We live nearby so go quite alot and our three teenage girls also love it. They do it all - best Sunday lunch in town, cocktails, wine list to die for......it all works. The team are ex Malmaison and are as good as it gets. Be there !