“Best tapas I've eaten outside of Barcelona!”
Review of Jose Tapas Bar

Jose Tapas Bar
Ranked #348 of 24,015 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwark
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

On a family holiday to London with our 2 daughters (15 & 10) José was recommended by our London friends for lunch as we all love tapas. It didn't disappoint!

The boquerones are a particular fave of our youngest & theirs were delicious. We also had chicken skewers, beautiful huge prawns, pan con tomate, patatas bravas (which were amazing), hake & croquetas which were a staple in Spain. Everything was beautifully cooked with stunning aioli & olive oil dressing the dishes. We had 2 very good glasses of Rioja each & only had to wait 10 minutes to get a table. Watching the staff work in the very open kitchen was an education!! Definitely worth a little walk up from London bridge to visit!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Been many times and never once let down. Yes, you have to queue as you can't book. Yes, you have to stand on most visits and no, you can't take your drinks out onto the street but all that aside, it's just amazing!

The guy on the door does this amazing balancing act of ensuring he knows you are there, managing your expectations and beating off anyone who tries to push in. He lets you know that your turn at one of these prized tables is coming. And trust me, when you get there, it will have been worth the wait!

Reviewed August 8, 2014

I'm a great lover of tapas, so was excited to visit Jose on a recent Sunday based on it's reviews.

Arrived 10 minutes after opening time on a Sunday and it was already busy, but we got a window seat.

The first thing which I noted were the prices. We always research menus online prior to visiting somewhere to get a feel for the budget. Online it mentions croquetas are £6, in the restaurant £6.50, Jamon Iberico £9 online, £12 in the restaurant, Patatas Bravas £4 online, £5 in the restaurant and so on. Small amounts individually, but when you're ordering a selection of dishes it adds up. I'm not sure when they last updated the website.

Onto the dishes - I knew that the dishes were simple Spanish, and when done well, I love it. The issue was that everything was distinctly 'meh'. Pan con tomate - if you've never had elsewhere you would probably enjoy, but nearly Tozino does a far superior version. Calamari at £9 for 5 average size pieces were...just nice. At this price you would want outstanding. Special of Sea Trout with Portobello mushroom was good, but once again overpriced at £9.

I get the impression that because people pay these prices, they see no reason to decrease them, which is fair enough. Bermondsey is quite an affluent area, and Jose also attracts a large number of visitors such as ourselves.

The wine was excellent - £7 a glass each and the service was attentive. However we left with a bill of £88 for 2 for 6 tapas + 4 glasses of wine plus tip, and just thought that we've had lots better food for similar price or cheaper.

I just can't see myself going back due to the huge variety of restaurants available in London.

1  Thank travellernick121
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had walked by this place on the way to a job one day and thought, "Hmm... that'd be a nice place to meet a friend sometime." Sure enough, the next week I needed to meet someone in the same area, so I suggested trying this place as the tripadvisor reviews I'd read seemed pretty great. I usually am leery of trying wine by the glass, as sometimes it may be past its peak and not worth the price, but I had a glass of their Chardonnay and thought it was delicious! It was perfectly chilled, and in a nice-sized glass. I ordered the tortilla, and later the cheese sampler, which were both all right but nothing too special (granted, they're very simple dishes, and I didn't really expect anything too amazing). But the ambiance was nice, the staff were mostly courteous, and I would definitely go back.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Arrived for Sunday lunch - enjoyed drinks and fabulous olives whilst selecting tapas from interesting menu.
All delicious: no problem with ordering more, when required - arrived immediately. However, reassuringly, and visibly, freshly prepared from kitchen behind bar.
Excellent fish but finely sliced, rare pork fillet was, surprisingly, the stand out dish; would love to have the recipe!
Knowledgeable, friendly staff.
Wonderfully relaxed Sunday lunch.

2  Thank Judy C