“A real view of Spain” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jose Tapas Bar

Jose Tapas Bar
Ranked #250 of 22,225 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Wine Bar
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Southwark
“A real view of Spain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I feel really bad not to have written anything about Jose before as it's been long time since I visited it. Small and lovely place with professional and extremely friendly staff, food is great, and the wine and sherry list is unbeatable, I can't wait to try Pizarro too!

• Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
London
“One of the best tapas bars around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I love this place! Bermondsey street in one of my fav locations in London, and Jose's is part of the reason.

It is small, so best get there early, but the food is well worth it.

The atmosphere is great too. This is a proper tapas bar, so don't expect table seating and a three course meal. I recommend sitting by the kitchen counter where you can watch the chefs cook. They usually chat to the people too - super friendly!

• Visited January 2014
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

The food was great, the atmosphere was warm and welcoming and the wine was good and boozy. Very small place though with only a few tables and a bar, so get in before the lunch rush!

Visited May 2013
Alcester, United Kingdom
“New year visit to the Smoke”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We used "near me now" on the iPhone and filtered out restaurants for lunch. This one appealed and was within walking distance. It's a pleasant walk along Bermondsey Street and Jose appears on the corner of Morocco Street.

The wife and I walked in and inside is small seating area with lots of folks enjoying drinks and plates of tapas. The decor is very simple spanish-style, with informal seating and stools.

We sit down and a chap comes over to take our order. The drinks quickly arrive and soon after the food.

My wife is from Galicia and I have visited with her many times to this region, so we know what good Spanish tapas should be like. Well, we were not disappointed at all, in fact my wife said some of the best she has ever eaten - praise indeed! I actually ordered a second round of tapas it all tasted so good. The croquetas are a must have and everything else is up to the same standard, so you can't go wrong. We had the Albarino wine which was perfect.

All the staff are Spanish, the wine is Spanish, as is the food, so a very authentic experience. You could actually be in a bar in Spain.

The place is very busy and quite cosy and seats are at a premium, so if you want more space and a formal sit down meal, then you can go to their nearby restaurant.

We enjoyed the cosy atmosphere and overall top quality experience and would recommend a visit to anyone.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Tapas Bar in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have to say I have been to a couple of tapas bars in London, and after living in Spain for a few years, I have to say the standard is pretty low... until I went to Jose. Its the first place I have been in the city where I feel I am eating real tapas food from Spain. Not sure if its the quality of food or the chef's, but I have never found anywhere where I can truly taste authentic tapas until i discovered this great restaurant. Not the cheapest to be honest, but worth every penny.

• Visited November 2013