“It's finished!”
Review of Gourmet Buffet - CLOSED

Gourmet Buffet
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have been a regular here since this restaurant opened and had always found the food exceptionally good for a buffet restaurant. My children loved the place too as they could eat as much, or as little, as they want.

The good days seem to have gone now and there has been a definite decline in the standard of food. There is not much choice as the staff seem hesitant to top up the servery and the policy seems to be to only have one meat dish available at a time, which leads to people standing around at the servery waiting for food. Rice and noodles are cold and stodgy and salt seems to be the primary flavouring in everything.

The waiters are always pleasant enough but are overshadowed by a female Chinese manager who is possibly the most unpleasant restauranteur I have ever come across as her opening line to new arrivals is to tell them that they have to be out by a certain time - definitely a candidate for some customer service training.

Hygiene seems to have gone downhill as well as food is wiped off the servery back into serving containers, plates are not always clean and the toilets are a real mess.

It is such a shame as we really used to enjoy this place as it was a cut above the rest but I really feel it's had its day.

A

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was doing some shopping nearby when I decided to enjoy the lovely sunny day by staying out longer and having lunch. Not knowing what to choose I opted for the Gourmet Buffet as this would offer me a range of choices. The price was amazing, at £10.50 and there were enough people to warrant that the food was OK.

The moment I came in I was taken to a table and given the menu and asked if I wanted a drink. I opted for water and was served a carafe almost immediately. I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly and attentive service of the young male waiter.

I walked past the buffet counters, of which one was a salad bar, and was amazed that there was not as much choice as I expected and the food did not look too appetizing. However, for £10.50 one cannot expect to many embellishments and proceeded to get a spoonful of this and a spoonful of that, as a tasting session, before returning to take some more of one particular dish.

However, strange as it might seem, these Chinese dishes hardly had any taste and what taste there was was not very nice.

It is really a pity, as this restaurant is centrally located, the inside is spacious and the service I had was very good, it is just the food that is not good. Probably the worse Chinese restaurant I ever visited. I am giving this two notches, but only because the service was attentive. Not for the food...

2  Thank Evita2
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After finishing my meal from the hot buffet (food was average & plates were cold)- I decided to have some prawn crackers and soy sauce- I poured some of the soy sauce onto my plate and multiple dead flies came out with it- the manager couldn't care less which shows this has perhaps happened more than once!
disgusting restaurant, overpriced food and WOULD NOT RECOMMEND

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We used to be regulars at this place a few years ago before it changed management. In the good old days the food was fresh, the price was £8.50 for the buffet, the staff were great, the place was buzzing with life and atmosphere. And now... it's like a post-apocalyptic shell of a place where prawn crackers go to die. The food wasn't even lukewarm, the rice pot was wrapped in a filthy kitchen towel, no one bothered to wipe down the surfaces at the buffet, the floor was filthy, the chairs were falling apart..... In fact I couldn't find anything positive at all. The food itself has become a joke, I've had budget ready meals that were better than this. The atmosphere is abysmal. You just feel like no one can really be bothered to turn this place around again. Such a shame.

1  Thank bimbariccia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is the worst named eatery ever.
This is as far from gourmet as it is possible to get. The food tastes like reheated Asda value frozen food, left out under a warm light for a number of hours, only touched from time to time to stir the excited bacteria and diseases through the soup to make sure every customer gets a fair chance of food poisoning.
Avoid, if you value your health.

1  Thank MPhillips76