“Friendly, bustling, tasty”

Cay Tre Soho
Ranked #3,643 of 24,015 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Our modern Vietnamese restaurant in Soho emulates busy Vietnamese life, serving classic pho and aromatic street food.
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My friend and I were kindly squeezed in at the last minute after a no show. We had been headed to another restaurant, but the queue time was two hours (who even waits that long for a seat!?) but stumbled upon Cay Tre in Soho and chose the place as my friend had recently returned from Vietnam.

The food was delicious. Not cheap, not too expensive, but worth every penny.We had baby roast chicken, monkfish cheeky, mango salad and a couple of other sides, and all were cooked well and flavoured beautifully.

The service was good, especially the girl who took our payment at the end (she split the bill in favour of me over my friend - thanks!).

Nice decor.

One criticism - the tall tables with stools are very uncomfortable as the legs are REALLY badly designed, i.e. designed NOT to have people sit at them. We asked to be moved as soon as a table for two was free and the front of house lady (also very nice) was happy to oblige.

With all the great (and some not so great) restaurants in Soho, it's hard to justify going back to the same place twice. But I will be returning here, for sure.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Located in a very trendy part of Soho next to Chinatown. I had the large combo Pho and my wife had the Saigon Pho. The broth was excellent! As good as the Pho joints in San Jose, California that I drive 40 miles to frequent. Did not give it 5 stars because the bean sprouts weren't fresh and they gave lemons instead of limes. Not cheap compared to USA and a couple of nearby joints $11 £ for Saigon and £15 for Large Combo, so about $40 US for 2 bowls of Pho, but thats the currency exchange.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We enjoyed the food a lot. Ban Cuon and crispy pork that would not have been out of place in Hanoi. Not ridiculously expensive given the location, with very pleasant and efficient service. But it was unbearably noisy not in a buzzy" isn't it fun to be in a crowd" sort of way but in a "you cannot even faintly hear yourself think let alone chat to your dining partner" sort of way.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Very pleased that we walked past many other restaurants before choosing this one - it was well worth it. Excellent food, very good service, great vegetarian selection. I will definitely try to visit again. Very conveniently situated near the shows.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our reservation was somehow not on their system so we were put up on a shared table, which was fine. I find the restaurant ridiculously noisy. We arrived at 7pm, and you can hardly hear yourself speak so it is very difficult to have a conversation; it's like eating at the bars that litter all over soho rather than a restaurant. Service is friendly. Although food was fairly average. We ordered some starters, tofu summer roll (quite bland with overpoweringly salty sauce), chicken wings with anchovies marinate (fine) and sweet potato shrimp fritter (nice!). For main I had the garlicky Hanoi pho, whose stock and beef were rather bland on this occasion.