“Not liked”

Cay Tre Soho
Ranked #2,962 of 23,025 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Our modern Vietnamese restaurant in Soho emulates busy Vietnamese life, serving classic pho and aromatic street food.
London
“Not liked”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Visited just after New Year, during weekday. Nice restaurant and staff, shame about food choices and quality. We found it tasteless, bland and not seasoned well. Ordered La Vong grilled fish, only the herbs were tasty, fish looked yellow and were not season at all, the dip was diluted sugared water with drops of fish sauce. The chilli salt & peppered soft shell crab, were so salty almost inedible.
The typical Beef and rice noodle soup "Pho" should have been stewed with oxtails, 5 spice, cinnamon and grilled ginger, it tasted like stock cubes dissolved in hot water. My partner had a Saigon Sate Pho, more like rice stick noddles cooked in peanut sauce. We like Vietnamese foods, but this take the biscuit. Avoid and don't bother to try.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank PIY-Holidays

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Tasted good at the time...”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stopped in here while looking for something different in Soho for lunch- lured in by their '£10 set menu'- which turned out the be £14.50 by the time I left. I ordered straight from the set menu but was told that rice was extra...so I ordered rice. The food was nice- a bit too spicy but good- but the rice I paid £2.50 for was old and hard and when I asked for a replacement I was told 'they are all same'. Hmm. Maybe that's why I've had an dodgy tummy for the past few hours? The service was okay until it got a bit busier- then, as a single diner, I got forgotten. The second kick was the service added to the bill- taking my '£10 set lunch' up £4.50 including tap water (free) and old rice. There was a table of very loud women in the middle of the restaurant which made the atmosphere for everyone else a bit tense and the experience not as nice as it could have been- not the restaurant's fault I know- but obviously it had a fall-on effect. Not sure I would return.

• Visited September 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
“Good Vietnamese food in Soho”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

This busy, little restaurant was fairly newly opened when we went. The decor was fresh and contempory. We ordered some old favourites for entree (rice paper rolls and a Vietnamese pancake) and were not disappointed. Typically light, fresh Vietnamese flavours. The mains were also good quality and we particularly liked the hangar steak clay pot and the stir fried ramen noodles. The staff were constantly on the move, but got the job done. Prices were reasonable.

london
“Fantastic buzzing restaurant”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you want excellent Vietnamese food in a buzzing restaurant in Soho this is the place. Friendly and attentive staff, delicious food, cocktails and fresh ingredients.

I disagree with another posters comments on terrible service. Our experience was the service was excellent.

The one negative was 12.5% service added to the receipt. I thought the standard rate was 10% in the UK.

• Visited August 2012
London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice food but terrible service”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Went at about 8.30 on a Thursday and it was very busy. Have been to the one in Shoreditch and liked it. The food here was as good (although the crispy pork thing from the Shoresitch branch didn't seem to be on the menu) and pretty cheap but the service was abysmal. The food all arrived at different times, with starters and main courses just turning up in whatever order (although this might have been our fault because we ordered "small eats" as starters and maybe they're not supposed to actually be starters and they just thought we were weird for ordering more than one dish...). The drinks came long after the food and only when I reminded them. My "starter" didn't arrive at all (I didn't remind them becuase I was never sure that it wasn't on the way). Wouldn't be in a hurry to go back anyway.

• Visited August 2012