“Outstanding service, wonderful experience in a nice location”
Review of The Lyttelton - CLOSED

The Lyttelton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: The Game Bird at the Stafford London is a contemporary tale about relaxed, informal dining any time of the day. A place to eat, drink and socialise, the focus is on modern British comfort cooking executed with style and panache, all wrapped in a seductive ambience that oozes cool sophistication. The philosophy at The Game Bird is simple - dedicated to following the seasons and supporting local artisans including award-winning family owned farms, Executive Chef, James Durrant has created a ‘theatre of the senses’ menu based on uncomplicated excellence: local, seasonal produce sits alongside time honoured British classics. Centre of attention are the traditional handcrafted trolleys that overflow with signature dishes that both surprise and delight and include meat & game, own smoked & cured, pies, puddings & stews and a mouth-watering Sunday Roast. In a setting reminiscent of an exclusive private members club, a heady mix of classic British design captivates and enchants while intimate dining booths whisper seduction against a backdrop of pale blue walls and specially commissioned artwork from some of the country’s leading young British artists. For those in the know, the chic Champagne Bar is the place to slip away from the outside world and into a glass of chilled champagne or a martini cocktail before dining in the restaurant.
Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding service, wonderful experience in a nice location”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was our first visit to the Lyttelton. I must commend the outstanding customer service - from placing the reservation through to the evening experience (and with a very nice attitude to our Amazon voucher - I haven't always found this to be the case in other restaurants). All of the staff were extremely welcoming and highly attentive without being overbearing. It is a beautiful, relaxing and comfortable restaurant (though I did find it a little bit cold at times)

I had the seafood linguini to begin - a very generous portion of al dente pasta with a seafood melee. Tasty and quite filling! My fellow diner enjoyed the crab cakes, which were a generous portion size. Following the recommendation of the waiter, we ordered the chateaubriand for 2 as our main dish and ordered a number of sides (which are paid incrementally to the voucher). It was delicious though rather filling, certainly too much for two people. Very unusually, I had no space for dessert (though included), however my fellow diner enjoyed the date pudding which was apparently tasty and comforting.

Overall, I would highly recommend this restaurant and will certainly return - I would even consider paying full price as it was a really enjoyable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently had dinner at the Littleton for a special occaison. The restaurant was recommended to me, and I have to say it did not dissappoint.

The atmosphere was very good, quiet and reserved, but not too formal. The food was impeccable and we even had a harpist play for us.

The restaurant is not crowded, rather there are approcimately 12 or 13 tables situated spaciously around the large dining area, which gives a lovely sense that your conversation wont be overheard.

Top the eveinng off at the American Bar afterwards, which I'll review separately.

London
“Lovely restaurant and hotel tucked away in central London”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I went to visit the restaurant on a Travelzoo voucher. A glass of champagne plus free meals up to the value of £30 per course for a 3 course meal was a good deal but you pay extra for the sides and drinks. We chose a South African Sauvignon Blanc to accompany the meal and I did find most wines were quite pricey but I must say the wine we drank was a lovely accompaniment to the meal.

I started with the Diver Caught Scallops and my wife with the Shellfish Linguini. My Scallops were cut very thin with a lovely addition of the herbs and Chablis dressing plus frozen watermelon rounds. Separating out the salad into it's varying parts each was actually very tasty and a lovely blend of flavours but trying to eat the dish as a whole meant the chablis dressing, watermelon and rocket together totally overshadowed the Scallops which would be the main part of the meal so for myself each part was lovely but as a whole not quite right. My wife's Linguini was also good, the pasta cooked almost al dente and the shellfish was a good amount. She did find it slightly under seasoned but a little extra salt did the trick. The starters are actually quite large and after the pasta dish (my wife would have normally have ordered it as a main) she was quite full.

For the main we had a Lobster and Haddock En Crute to share which was a large portion (only served for 2 people anyway) and added some sides. The tarragon sauce was a lovely accompaniment to the dish. We actually found the main to be almost too much for both of us. Between the sauce and the fish it's actually quite rich but I must say the filling was more than enough. I found parts of the pastry quite thick and therefore a little underdone so it wasn't all evenly covered but it was baked beautifully. I think by the time we got to dessert we were quite full.

My wife had the date and walnut pudding with caramel sauce and I had the apple and calvados mousse. Each of us loved our desserts individually, mine because it was a light option after the rich main and my wife's because she just loves a sticky toffee pudding and her dessert was close to that style of pudding but actually nicer in my view. I would definitely order the mousse again and her option respectively.

I will say that the food on the whole was actually very good and choosing the combinations of rich meals was our choice alone.

The service was really good with all the staff being very attentive but not overbearing with our choice of wine and extras. Going to the toilet meant my serviette was nicely folded back on the table and my chair adjusted to be square with the table. When I returned the serviette was placed neatly on my lap again.

The hotel setting and restaurant was classic London luxury with lovely decor and comfy chairs. Each table was not seated to close to each so a good bit of privacy was lovely for this romantic occasion.

Considering this is a 5* hotel and restaurant I would day that the prices were probably just right and even with the deal we still paid an extra £55 for the extras (bottled water, wine, 1 side). I am going to give the food a 4* as each individual dish in itself was very good but not perfect.

I would seriously consider coming here again in future but there are always lots of choices in London.

1 Thank popLondon
hampshire
“Just as it should be....”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our third trip to eat at the Lyttelton and it remains a favourite.

We eat on Travelzoo vouchers which make it really affordable. The staff are all so helpful and really do not differentiate because you are eating on a bargain! It is a beautiful restaurant with comfortable chairs and lots of glass and silver. The waiters are attentive and make sure you feel properly spoilt. It has a lovely atmosphere - almost like a very beautiful and discrete private club.

The food is beautifully cooked and presented even when it appears quite rustic. I had smoked haddock with bubble and squeak which was simply superb. The only down side is the drinks are on the high side, as you would expect from a restaurant in such a high quality hotel.

We can highly recommend this restaurant and will certainly be returning.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Nice ambience, good service, great food”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Visited The Lyttelton to use a Travelzoo voucher for 3 course dinner, with a glass of Champagne on arrival. This was great value. The dining area had the feel of the drawing room of a country house, in spite of being in central London. The service was friendly and attentive throughout the meal.

For starters, my guest and I chose the shellfish linguini and the chicken liver and foie gras parfait. Both were excellent, although the parfait would have benefitted from an extra slice of toasted bread. For mains, we selected the Grilled Lemon Sole and the Brill with a brioche crust and pea and mint jus. We ordered skinny ships as a side order. The fish was well cooked, although we could not finish the mains after the starter portions. Finally, for desert, we had the apple and calvados mousse and the vanilla pannacotta. Both were selected due to being the lightest menu options available, but both were tasty and not too much of a challenge for our full stomachs. To accompany the meal, we had glasses of Claret and Viognier.

I would recommend the Lyttelton for a semi-formal dinner, due to the ambience, service and food quality