“Dissapointing dinning experience at The Stafford”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lyttelton - CLOSED

The Lyttelton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: The Game Bird at the Stafford London is a contemporary tale about relaxed, informal dining any time of the day. A place to eat, drink and socialise, the focus is on modern British comfort cooking executed with style and panache, all wrapped in a seductive ambience that oozes cool sophistication. The philosophy at The Game Bird is simple - dedicated to following the seasons and supporting local artisans including award-winning family owned farms, Executive Chef, James Durrant has created a ‘theatre of the senses’ menu based on uncomplicated excellence: local, seasonal produce sits alongside time honoured British classics. Centre of attention are the traditional handcrafted trolleys that overflow with signature dishes that both surprise and delight and include meat & game, own smoked & cured, pies, puddings & stews and a mouth-watering Sunday Roast. In a setting reminiscent of an exclusive private members club, a heady mix of classic British design captivates and enchants while intimate dining booths whisper seduction against a backdrop of pale blue walls and specially commissioned artwork from some of the country’s leading young British artists. For those in the know, the chic Champagne Bar is the place to slip away from the outside world and into a glass of chilled champagne or a martini cocktail before dining in the restaurant.
New York City, New York
“Dissapointing dinning experience at The Stafford”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I visited The Lyttelton Restaurant on 21st March taking advantage of their Travelzoo offer. The restaurant prides itself on showcasing the best of British cuisine; however, the lack of identity is evident on the menu as you find scallops with Indian spices, Vietnamese broth, macaroni pasta and Thai curry amongst Shepherd's pie and grilled Dover sole.
If you are using your Travelzoo offer, you'll need to pay supplements for most of the decent dishes as the prices seem to have been carefully manipulated (Soups at £11.75 for example) to ensure nobody scaped an extra charge!. Steak was £25 and didn't come with any potatoes or vegetables (be ready for a £8 supplement). The waiters didn't explain what was included in the offer so I witnessed many disappointed dinners when they got their bill
It was bizarre the wine list wasn't handed out with the food menu but after the order was taken. The price of the wines were extortionate. I know they are a 5-star hotel but there should be an ethical limit to profit margins. I ordered the Torres at £34.50 which was probably the cheapest red on offer (you can find this wine in the supermarket for £6).
The dinning room has many impressive features but lacked atmosphere as it was located in a corridor between the bar and reception. The traffic of people going through was very disruptive and spoiled the meal.
Tables (so close to each other that you could hear the conversation of the people next to you) didn't have cloths, tea lights were from IKEA, butter was cut from a block and served on a saucer and service was so poor we had to pour our own wine. We asked for tap water and this was never topped up.
Quality of food was ok but it didn't justify the ridiculous prices. I think the management of this place have a lot to sort out before they see me back at The Lyttelton.

5 Thank C G
StaffordHotelGM, General Manager at The Lyttelton, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Thank you for your detailed comments regarding your dinner here at The Stafford. We have received many positive comments from diners regarding our TravelZoo offer so it is very sad to hear that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations. The TravelZoo voucher was designed to ensure that clients did not need to pay any additional costs for high value menu items. Please accept my sincerest apology if you felt this was not explained to you. Our wines are very competitively priced and we pride ourselves on sourcing the best value for money. The Torres wine you chose is a specially selected bottle, not available in supermarkets. I would very much like to talk to you further about your experience and the other comments contained in your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Farnham
“Best ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

My wife and I dined at the new The Lyttelton last night .
We used a Travelzoo voucher deal which most diners seemed to be using.
This was a fantastic deal and gave us the opportunity to have what ever we wanted from the menu.
On being seated we were brought some freshly baked breads and a glass each of champagne .
The service was simply fantastic,the food outstanding and the ambience really good.
We will certainly return and would be more than happy to pay full price.
I am sure that if this hotel restaurant was not off the beaten track tucked away at the end of a cul de sac it would be full every night.
It was my wife's birthday and having mentioned this in advance there were some nice added touches which were appreciated.
A really fantastic evening and we will be back.

1 Thank Adriano S
St Louis
“Amazing Service and Wine Cellar!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

We were lucky enough to have private tour of the 360 year old wine cellar at the Stafford Hotel with Gino, Master Sommelier. Gino's passion and love for wine is evident in his every word!! He has been at the Stafford for 30 years and gave us a lovely tour and tasting in the historic cellars. Then we dined in the restaurant where the entire meal and service was amazing!

My sister had stayed at this hotel the week prior and had recommended it and Gino. This is truly a hidden treasure in London. Next time we will stay at this hotel for sure!

Erith, Kent, England
“Wonderful Dining Experience - Travelzoo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We went to this restaurant for dinner last night via a Travel Zoo coupon (me and my two daughters 24 & 26).
I drove there from Kent and managed to get one of the free parking spots outside.
It is a truly lovely dining experience. The dining room is exquisite, the furnishings beautiful, we really did feel spoiled, comfortable but not over intrusive so that you feel uncomfortable.
we were given a great table in the corner that over looked the room and felt relaxed and at ease. The food was delicious, our starters were Oysters, Scallops and I had crab which was the best choice I think and I would order this again.
Our main dishes were fillet steak, crispy pork and Monk Fish Wellington which came with mash potato and broccoli, again very nice. Dessert was burnt Cambridge cream, bread and butter pudding with smoked chocolate and mine was chocolate mouse with orange ice cream - all of them were perfect and so well decorated and presented.
The service was excellent and was there when needed and in good time.
Our coupon was only for two people so we booked my other daughter and paid for this additionally but they also brought her a glass of champagne at no extra cost which I thought was very nice of them. Our bill was £80.00. for her food and a bottle of water.
I probably wouldn't go here again but only because I couldn't afford to pay around £260. for what the meal would have cost - on the other hand if another voucher offer for this restaurant came up - I will be the first person to purchase it :-)
Me and my daughters agreed that we had a memorable evening of laughter, good food and champagne and was very glad we went.

London
“Good dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I recently went to the restaurant with a Travelzoo offer and enjoyed every minute of the experience. Both of us enjoyed the good food and unlike some other diners we did not make it to desert as we had no room left. Both the starter and main courses were very good. I would certainly go back here and pay the full menu price. The restaurant was fully booked on the Sunday evening we went so would recommend booking. Excellent service from all the staff. Well done Lyttelton.

2 Thank Amanda B