“Good food and nice beer. We would go back again”
Review of The Gipsy Moth

The Gipsy Moth
Ranked #603 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Description: Drink in the atmosphere at Greenwich's favourite iconic pub.In Greenwich, you'll just want to drink in the historic atmosphere - and you'll want to drink in this grade I listed pub too once you've seen what it has to offer. Feast your eyes on our regularly changing specials and pub food classics, and choose (if you can) from our impressive array of speciality drinks. While The Gipsy Moth itself is a magnificent slice of history, its unique, comfy interiors make it the ultimate modern retreat away from the bustle of nearby tourist spots such as the Cutty Sark and Royal Observatory. Breakfasts served on Saturdays. Families welcome, back garden open 'til 9.30pm with side garden open all night long. Traditional pub service with the bar at the heat of the pub.
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Dropped in on spec, not read TA. Our experience (party of four) was very good. We had starters and main courses. All well cooked, nicely presented and very tasty. A soup was not as hot as we preferred, no fuss from the staff to get it to temperature. Good mix of seating. I would expect service might get a little slow when they are busy. The hand pulled beers (choice of five), were good - we sampled three. Other reviewers may have caught the pub on a "bad day" ....we would be happy to visit again.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is the 3rd visit and we were not disapointed, Have only tried the fish and chips which were very nice. No bones (Very important to me) hot and tasty and a good sized portion. The yound lady who served us was very pleasent, Lacked a bit of atmosphere probably because we were early and not very full but the location is great.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Thought Gipsy Moth was very nice, we had a wee seat outside watching the world go by with a beer and it wasn't particularly expensive.

On my way in and out to the bar I noticed that the food looked excellent (Sunday brunch) so will maybe give it a go on our next visit.

Staff were excellent, very efficient despite the place being pretty busy.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Having walked in and out of other local pubs in the area, this looked to be the best of a bad bunch, but then we were in London and not out in leafy Surrey. The pub was clean, busy and we had a nice table near the door. The young waiter was very helpful and friendly - couldn't be bettered. We both had the Sunday Roast Beef - I did wonder what we'd get as it was priced at £16.00 each, overpriced as it wasn't filling! The Yorkshire pud was excellent, red wine gravy was luke warm, roast potatoes not crisp, warm roast rib of beef which was tasty and the veg was cooked to perfection. No horseradish was offered and when another table asked for some, a jar was plonked down on the table, without spoon, plate or dish! The orange juice was obviously fresh and very enjoyable. If in the area again, I would go back, only because of the cleanliness of the place, compared to other pubs and the excellent waiter.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I visited the Gypsy Moth yesterday and had a really bad experience. I have visited this pub on many occasions and although I feel it is overpriced it has nice décor and a nice crowd. I took my friend there as she had not been to Greenwich before. We arrived at around 4pm and sat at a table only to be told it was reserved and we would have to move. The waitress said that she hadn't had time to put a reserved notice on the table but we would have to move anyway. There was no offer of putting us on a waiting list for a table so we went outside where there are some covered benches. Although this is a covered area the seats were wet. In other places the staff would usually wipe the seats down or offer you something to sit on, but not here we had to do this ourselves with tissues. After braving the cold for about an hour we then asked to be told when a table inside was free. Around 20 mins later we were called and we ordered food. When my friends roast dinner arrived it was cold, the pork crackling was around 2cm and the roast potatoes had no crunch they were just like rubber. We politely asked for it to be heated up which they did and but no apology came. Around 9pm we went to the bar to get a drink, ask the bar tender was serving me the drinks he was then told by another member of staff to take the drinks back. We were told that we would not be served because there had a been a complaint about us. When we asked for clarification we were told we were too drunk. Over the period of 5 hours of being there we had been very quiet, just chatting amongst ourselves. It was just a Sunday afternoon catch up not a drunken Saturday night! There hadn't been any members of staff come to us to say that there was a problem so we just couldn't understand what the issue would be. The bar man called the manager who seemed very ice and friendly. She said that we could have our drinks. We were visibly upset but again no apology they just kept repeating that it was there right to not serve someone if they wanted too. I really didn't appreciate this we decided to leave. The bill was £117 between 3 of us, when we paid we asked again for the reason we had not been served and the answer was just because they have the right to refuse? What a bad attitude considering their Manager had served us just 10 minutes before with no issues. I feel that the bar man had a problem with me and that I was singled out because he did not like me. I am not sure why he did that, I am aware that some o the staff were drinking outside.....maybe it is him that cannot handle his drink and wanted to start problems with me? I feel that I would rather have given my money to an establishment that appreciates their customer. In this day and age where the recession is causing many pubs to close The Gypsy Moth will survive purely on the location and décor rather than the staff and food. I will NEVER want to go here again, I am absolutely furious that they ruined my Sunday when I spend my week at work it's the last thing anyone needs!

3  Thank TamaraBarnard