“Share and share a lot”

Quince
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Quince Restaurant, Bar and SalonSoulful, sensual and spirited, Quince is the perfect evocation of The May Fair's exuberant personality. A luxe eaterie with an engagingly everyday feel, it is at once alluring yet warmly familiar. Above all, the Quince experience embodies the elite of British produce reinterpreted with a European panache
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The restaurant is located in a luxury hotel. If you like luxury hotels you'll like this. It's certainly very smart but it lacks the intimacy of a really good restaurant. And it's pretty obvious that most of the customers are guests at the hotel. The service is friendly and impeccable. The food is a mixture of different cuisines all very well done. It's a sharing menu; and, when the food starts to appear, it comes thick and fast. We were advised to order three sharing plates each. That turned out to be a little too much since the plates are generous. There is no doubting the quality of the food however ,although the atmosphere could be a little more relaxed. If you like sharing menus and are prepared to eat a lot rather quickly, then this is the place for you.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were in Quince last Saturday and I would say it is a lovely restaurant with an enthusiastic team. The restaurant was almost full when me along with my 3 clients walked in and were guided to our table by a lovely lady at desk. Our waiter was really helpful and attentive throughout. The food was good apart from the steak which was a bit undercooked than our preference. Our waiter also informed us that it was just the second night with the new menu so I assume the place would just get better with time. The desserts were quite nice and light too. The atmosphere in the dining room was just buzzing which is always good to see in a restaurant of this kind. The manager came over and asked for our feedback before we left which was a nice touch as well. We enjoyed ourselves and had a lovely dinner and would return soon.

1  Thank Russel28
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have been in to Quince on four different occasions now which is rare for me as I normally like to try something different when it comes to nights out at high end restaraunts. However you know what you are getting at Quince, unbelievable food, great service and beautiful decor which makes it the place of choice when you want to impress someone such as clients or family. Because of this I was a tad worried when the waiter informed us that the menu had changed as I was with a very important client. It exceeded all expectations and is even better than the previous menu. My client was thoroughly impressed and mentioned he would definitely be returning. He especially liked the open pass and said it was like watching real life Hell's Kitchen (although I must mention without the swearing!). I myself have always liked the open pass and when I came with my mother we took it in turns to sit in the chair facing the pass as seeing your food being prepared by professional chefs is strangely captivating. I had not written a review before as I didn't think they needed it but came to the conclusion that if a establishment as large as this one can keep the same standard every time you visit and when a new menu is as fantastic as there's is the staff and especially the chefs deserve a thankyou and a congratulations. Visit this little gem in the heart of Mayfair you will not be dissapointed!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I apologize in advance for the long and detailed description,
On the way home from the restaurant last night, I decided that I have to share my experience.
This was the first time we were visiting this restaurant (and probably the last one as well). We started in the bar, which had a nice atmosphere and we had a great time. Then we moved onto the restaurant, where the host was very nice and even brought me a cushion to support my back as I am expecting a baby. So it started off very well.
Our waiter then arrived and told us that the menu and the method of serving had changed 2 days ago and what he was recommending is that we each order 2 main meals and 1 side and we share each of them. When we looked at the menu, it actually looked quite peculiar- no starter section, etc. everything was just a list of things. The other unusual thing about it was that there was a page of food listing followed by a page of drinks listing and then again and then again, etc. Anyways, based on the kinds of food on the menu we couldn't imagine how sharing would work, so we decided not to share, but have our own meals. When the waiter came back to take our orders, we told him about our decision not to share and ordered 1 main and 1 side each. We also ordered 2 starter-looking things to share. We also ordered a bottle of wine and water.
When the wine arrived we noticed that it was a different year than on the menu. When we raised this, the waiter said that it migth be the case, but he knows that this is a good year, as his wife is Spanish. Quite peculiar. I hasten to add that this was a 100-pound bottle of wine! Anyways, we didn't want to make a big fuss, so we tried it and liked it, so decided to take it.
About 45 minutes after we ordered one of the mains (a ribeye steak) arrived. We waited a few minutes, but as nothing else arrived, we asked the waiter where the rest of the meals were and why the starters were not served first. He apologized and said that he had forgotten to tell the chef that we want all the mains and sides together and the starters first. He took the ribeye away and said would sort everything out.
Another 20 minutes later 2 mains arrived (slow roast pork belly) and we had to have the same conversation as after the ribeye. So the porks were taken back as well. This time he ensured us that we would receive our starters in 1 minute and the mains in 8 minutes. The sarters did arrive and tasted very nice- we had mushroom pancakes (I can highly recommend) and halloumi salad.
About 15 minutes later 4 out of the 5 mains arrived, no sides. A few minutes later we asked about where the 5th main and the sides were and we were told that they were coming. At this point my otherwise extremely patient friend went to talk to the manager. The manager came over, apologized and said we could have a bottle of wine and desserts for free.
Finally the 5th main and the sides arrived and also a complimentary coleslaw. ???
Food: the ribeye and the lamb shank were very nice, the slow roast pork belly was bland and very chewy, the salmon was just OK. The sides were nice- chips, sweet potato chips, green leaf salad.
After bringing all the mains and sides out, the waiter totally vanished. We didn't see him for about 20 minutes. Eventually he reappeared and we flagged him down to ask for the bottle of wine the manager had offered to us.
Then we got our desserts, which were OK, but nothing outsatnding.
The chef came out to apologize and we saw him come out to many other tables as well- although I don't know if he came out to apologize or to have a discussion, as we couldn't hear it.
Finally the bill came to 300 pounds not including the second bottle of wine and the desserts. Quite pricey for the quality of food and service.
Also, please note that we were all full by the end of our dinner even though we only ordered 1 main and 1 side each- the mains are not huge, but I would definitely not be able to eat more than 1 as the waiter had recommended.
I really don't think it's worth the money and to be honest, even if it had been 20 pounds a person, I would still not go back- I have eaten much better food even in pubs before.

1  Thank Englandreviewer1111
Reviewed March 11, 2013

2 of us had dinner in Quince restaurant on a Friday eve recently. Maybe I was expecting more so I was a little disappointed - but it was still good. I have to thank our waiter Mostafa for his help and enthusiasm - an excellent ambassador for the restaurant. The 'Pulled lamb' was recommended and it was flavoursome - but only warm. I like hot food. The salmon was good - and hot. I realise now that the Lamb is slow cooked for 12 hours, so this has been kept warm since being cooked. I should learn from that. The starters and deserts were excellent as was the rice with our meals.So overall good but not great.

1  Thank peegee_pete