“4.5+ Star Hotel!!”

Ranked #183 of 1,064 Hotels in London
bel air, md
“4.5+ Star Hotel!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We loved this hotel! Just stayed first week in August 2014 for 4 days. The hotel is stunningly beautiful on the outside and inside. Very grand lobby. Our room was very spacious, with two twin beds - very large bathroom. Room was very grand and beautiful - super clean and updated. We would definitely stay here again. The location was at the Grosvenor Victoria, was excellent - beautiful area, close to Buckingham palace, westminster abbey, plus great pubs around the hotel. Very easy to get a taxi and the costs weren't too bad since the hotel was so central to all the areas we toured. Staff was warm and attentive. We had dinner several times in the Lounge & room service, which was quick & delicious. they make a great, huge cappuccinos! Highly recommend this hotel if you're visiting London!

Room Tip: Twin rooms are larger than king rooms in some parts of hotel. We stayed in room 310, which was on t...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank marylandmomBelAir_Md
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your excellent post and for highly recommending us! I’m thrilled that you loved our beautiful hotel. We have undergone a full refurbishment here at The Grosvenor and have restored the building to its former Victorian glory. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2014

chose this hotel for its location near to theater we were going to (wicked) as its only 2mins walk away,.Its an ideal location for Buckingham palace and Westminster area and central London.
The reception staff very friendly and helpful, we checked in early and left our bag which was delivered up to our room, we went into the cocktail bar for an afternoon drink a little pricey but your in London dont like service charge adding to bill i like to pay if service is good but most hotels do it this way now. The cocktail bar can be a little dark depending on where you sit, but staff helpful and pleasant.Our room was on top floor a bit of a treck to get to, have to use two lifts to get to top floor.When in side found room on small side, bathroom also small but with everything you need, including a very good shower, the beds very comfy and we slept well, heard some tannoy announcements from victoria station but not intrusive.we had a view from window which was better than some we have had whilst staying in London.Breakfast was hot and plentiful if having English and plenty of cold choice if not.All the staff we came across where helpful and polite, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: try to book a room on first 4 floors
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post and for your kind comments regarding my team which I will enjoy sharing with them. We do have an excellent location here at The Grosvenor with both Billy Elliott and Wicked just steps away from the Hotel. I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to London.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Given room 616. I had to stand with the bathroom door open in order to stand in front of the mirror to shave. Whilst fittings were new and tasteful, the owners / management must be very cynical if they believe this room is of an acceptable size for the class of hotel they aspire to be. I came down the following week (yesterday) and asked the company to put me in a different hotel.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank IanBrown1311
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. Due to the age of our building we do have varying different shaped and sized rooms here at The Grosvenor. I was disappointed to read that you requested a different hotel for your next trip to London; if you do decide to give us another chance, please contact me directly and I will ensure that you are allocated one of our larger rooms for your future stays.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2014

This hotel is in a great location and the building is beautiful. The potential for wonderful was there but was let down by mostly average service and lack of organization, although a few individuals rose to the occasion. For the price paid and the grandeur of the hotel we were expecting much better.
Although the breakfast buffet was plentiful with a good selection, most of the servers in the breakfast room were lacking. Although they were quick to pour the first cup of coffee or tea, it was rare they'd come around to refill without having to ask for it and if you went back to get something else from the buffet the old plates were rarely cleared away. One morning we were missing some cutlery in our settings and when asked if she'd bring some, she snapped she was busy at the moment (which she was). She never did bring it so we grabbed some from another table on our own. We had dinner in the restaurant twice and I'm happy to report the service was the exact opposite from breakfast - very tentative.
The rooms were recently updated but I was disappointed there was no chest of drawers or shelves in our room to unpack clothes (for our 2 week stay). We asked for more hangers and they brought us 6 more. They also weren't the greatest at remembering to replenish the coffee supplies. We started out in a room across from a service door which slammed every 5 minutes or so, which was very irritating so we asked them to move us. They did this quickly but this room wasn't as well laid out as the original room. Something that bothered me a lot was hall windows left open - 2 of the outside ledges were reasonable, but the 3rd one was so covered with bird poop it was really off-putting. Why clean off only 2 of them?
A real highlight for us was access to the Club Lounge that came with our room. From 5-9 pm, they offered a great selection of drinks, snacks and hors d'oeuvres. The service in there was wonderful, especially Zahir (hope I got his name right), who was actually a trainee. His service was better than anyone else we had dealings with during our stay.
Will we be back? Hmmm - good question. As I said, tons of potential, but unless they get a training plan to organize their staff better, I think I can get better value and service for my money elsewhere. Pity, really.

Room Tip: We were in Room 312 - no chest of drawers.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for such a comprehensive post. I regret that we let you down during your stay with us in particular at breakfast; this is an area we are currently focusing on improving and I hope that if you do give us another chance you will get the opportunity to see the improvements we are making. I’m pleased that you enjoyed our Executive lounge and will pass on your kind comments to my team. I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

I've read the other reviews and agree with all the positive ones. We booked a deluxe double for 4 days. The room was sumptuous and large (112) the bed was huge.
The room was spotless a credit to housekeeping. The bathrobes were a bit snug for us, perhaps we need to go on diets!
The full English breakfast was delicious, which we couldn't resist everyday. No wonder the robes were snug!
Lovely touches like pillow chocolates and turn down service each night enhanced our experience
We ate in the restaurant on my birthday evening, servings were ample and delicious. The cocktail bar was classy and it was fun people watching, as the windows overlook Victoria train station.
The decor is in keeping with the age of the hotel I feel it is classy and tasteful. And finally all the staff were very polite especially the breakfast staff who made my birthday breakfast extra special. Nothing was too much trouble.
The location is perfect for visiting London attractions. I would personally rate this hotel 5*
Thank you for some great memories!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so much for your 5 star post! I’m thrilled that you have some great memories from your stay here at The Grosvenor especially as you were here for a special occasion. I look forward to welcoming you both back very soon.
Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed my stay from start to finish.
Delicious breakfast with healthy extensive menu, include this with your stay you will happy you did :)
Staff felt more like visiting family, very helpful and made my stay a comfortable one, with lots of great memories.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank 365globetrotting
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. Myself and my team are thrilled that you felt part of The Grosvenor family and we look forward to welcoming you back on another visit to the UK.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2014

I stayed at the Grosvenor on business, and chose it simply because it was close to the meeting location. Impressive public areas, including hundreds of fresh flowers and candles on the sweeping stairs up to the cocktail bar. Room was large (room 244) and very clean, bathroom was a reasonable size with a pretty decent shower and given its location, it was surprisingly quiet - they obviously have great double glazing!! Dinner in the Brasserie was a bit limited but OK for the price and breakfast was plentiful and really fresh albeit a bit expensive in my view. The staff were very attentive and helpful. Overall the room rate wasn't too bad taking into consideration the location and the type of hotel. Within very easy walking (or in my case running distance!) of Buckingham Palace - best running route I've had and right on Victoria station. Better than some hotels I've stayed in on business and since the weather was so lovely, it's a shame I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay at The Grosvenor so much you wanted to stay longer! Thank you for your kind comments regarding my team which I always enjoying sharing with them. I look forward to welcoming you back soon, maybe for a longer stay or a more leisurely visit.
With kind regards