“Great hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grosvenor Hotel

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #193 of 1,072 Hotels in London
“Great hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is a conveniently located, great service, excellent hotel with great rooms.
Why don't I give them 5 points then?
Two reasons:
- the water in the bathroom has too much chlorine in it. It smells badly and it is not healthy either.
- the noise from the street might be annoying
Apart than that, service is great, the staff friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room, it gives you access to a wonderful breakfast in the executive lounge!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank frequentraveler65
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for such a great post. I’m delighted that you couldn’t fault the Hotel and really enjoyed sharing your kind comments with my team. Thank you for the recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I booked this hotel because I made a mistake - I thought I was going to arrive in London June 1st, and I arrived the day before. I had a long flight (about 16 hours? I'm not sure), spent 3 more trying to find my supposedly hotel with my phone dead and without an address. I didn't want any more hassle for the night, it was 9pm, I just wanted to sleep.
The Grosvenor is famous for its great service, so I thought "meh, I deserve a night of being spoiled at a five star hotel, after this day". Well, that was not how it went. My credit card got declined, I didn't have any cash, had to call my bank to made withdrawals. Wow. Weird, my credit card was working everywhere. Long story short, I spent another hour trying to solve it, I called my bank in Brazil, I went back and forth to the station to make withdrawals... all of that being treated like some sort of con. The receptionist was quite snobbish. I could tell she was trained to behave in a certain way, but I could also see very clearly that it wasn't courtesy oriented, she actually care for the problem, which, I'm sorry, I fully expected because I was paying nearly 200 pounds that night.
The next day, I called my card from the other hotel (the one I was supposed to stay from the beginning) - they said they accepted a Grosvenor charge of 200 pounds the day before. All right, now I was irate. I went through all of that needlessly.
I went back to the Grosvenor to talk to the manager. He was quite nice, said my credit card was declined and so forth, but I had the authorization code, so well, kind of not true. Summing that encounter up, he just say he couldn't do a thing and that my credit card was declined, which my statement clearly says is not true. After that, there's no chance in hell that I'm payiing to stay at the Grosvenor again.

On the good side, breakfast is quite spectacular, and the concierge is so great I was very impressed. I also ordered room service for the night and the food was lovely. So yes, not all of it was a complete disaster.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night following attendance at the Royal Garden party. It is conveniently located ( as per previous posts) next to Victoria Station and a 5 minute walk from Buckingham Palace.
Without exception, every member of staff we spoke to was friendly, welcoming and polite from reception to concierge and waitresses.
Our room on the 5th floor was quiet, facilities included iron and ironing hoard, kettle with tea/coffee etc and the bed was soooooo comfortable. Bathroom was modern, with a great shower. Breakfast was hot and
plentiful. Overall, I just cannot find fault with the hotel at all and I would recommend it to anyone. It was elegant, well furnished and with attention to details - thank you!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank PurrdyWurrdy
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for such a great post. I’m delighted that you couldn’t fault the Hotel and really enjoyed sharing your kind comments with my team. Thanks for the recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel, very grand. Spoiled only by the spectacle that greets you as you leave, the great unwashed of London. Unfortunately for the Grosvenor, and for the rest of Britain, Victoria Station is the landing place for migrants entering the UK from eastern Europe and further afield. The "eclectic" mix of folk you meet on leaving the building will not be to the taste of many. Beware of pickpockets too. Referring to the title of this review, "The Guvnor", those of you who are fans of Ray Winstone will recall this is the hotel he met up with the gangster boss in the film Sexy Beast. Eating your English Breakfast as Ray Winstone did in exactly these surroundings has got to make it worth the visit. Nice place.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank wortletboy
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I’m pleased you enjoyed our lovely grand hotel. The Grosvenor Hotel dates back to 1862 and has been lovingly restored to her former glory through our extensive refurbishment programme. I’m pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and hope to welcome you back soon.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Just spent one night at the Grosvenor . Ideally placed for Buckingham Palace. Loved this Hotel. The staff are very helpful and friendly particularly the concierge and bell boys who couldn't do enough for you. Room was spotless. Ours was a twin. The beds were larger than normal and were very comfortable with crisp white bedding and really comfy pillows.
However we found the breakfast a bit of a disappointment. We were surprised there wasn't a chef cooking eggs etc. on a griddle. The fried eggs looked and tasted like rubber. We had to wait ages for bacon and generally we found service lacking somewhat. There didn't appear to be anyone over-seeing things which meant having to chase cutlery, milk for tea etc.
Hence my reason for only 4 stars.
Even so I would definitely return to this beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as it is quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brenda H
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. We certainly do have a great location, close to many of the sights that London has to offer and excellent transport links. Many thanks for your kind feedback on my team which I enjoyed sharing with them, especially my concierge team. I regret that we let you down with your breakfast experience which I will certainly look into further; your feedback is invaluable to enable us to improve. I’m delighted that you’ll be returning to us in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back when you do.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

First stay at The Grosvenor but won't be the last. Great location for exploring Central London with excellent transport links. We experienced a warm welcome at check-in which set the tone for excellent service and attention to detail throughout the 2 night stay. Would definitely recommend to friends & colleagues.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul D
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your excellent feedback. I’m delighted you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
With kind regards, Ian
derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Spent one night in the grosvenor 31 May.Staff very polite, also impressive interior-however our room on the left wing was only of a similar quality to the so-called budget chains.Also £20 extra for a breakfast i feel is a little excessive.Overall glad i stayed but would look for something a little cheaper!! next

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank frank41
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for your post. I regret you were disappointed with your room during your stay with us. The Hotel dates back to 1862 so our bedrooms are many differing shapes and sizes, should you decide to give us another chance please do let me know and we’ll endeavour to allocate you one of our larger bedrooms.
With kind regards, Ian