“Simply amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #174 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Derby, United Kingdom
“Simply amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I want to start by saying I wrote a very honest and long review on the grosvenor just over a year ago about previous two visits and stated in that review that we would be staying in the hotel again for another long weekend in the coming months. And oh boy has my opinion changed!
Back then the hotel (as far as I am aware) was under a different ownership so I think it's only fair to write about the impressive changes that have been brought about since then (December 2010 if I remember my dates correctly). I also apologise it has taken so long, 2013 brought with it a wedding and a baby, and the review I wanted to write has been repeatedly pushed to the back of my mind.
Anyway, we booked a beautiful deluxe double for valentines weekend 2013, and on arrival we were ever so kindly upgraded to a deluxe suite! And boy was it fantastic! The room was a fantastic size plus excellent bathroom facilities. The room had a queen sized bed with complementary bathrobes and slippers artfully placed for our use. There was a very convenient iPod dock on the beside cabinet, and plenty of plug sockets in easy reach for necessary nightly phone and camera charging. With it being a suite we had a lounge area surrounding the tv section complete with a seriously comfy couch and armchair. On the coffee table we were very kindly left a personal postcard from the manager, and a complementary bottle of wine. The refreshments facilities were also of a very high standard, with plenty of variety to choose from, from hot chocolate to cafetiere to a grand selections of teas. Also in the mini fridge there was still and sparkling bottles of water. The bathroom had was I believe to be a standard in all rooms a waterfall shower head. It was very easy to operate and I must add everything with sparking clean, not an ounce of unkemptness could even be searched for.
The breakfast selection available each morning was equally delightful, I favoured the fresh fruit selection and husband the traditional cooked foods. The communal areas are a happy place to be, there is a grand piano in the foyer and we were treated to a performance by a young guest staying at the hotel. The little things really do add to the experience of a London break.
The hotel is ideally located for sight seeing with the direct access into Victoria train station and the underground. I must add that with the hotel obviously located of a massive transport hub, we didn't hear any sort of train announcements we'd heard in previous visits. This is likely due to the room location. But as I've said before it truly doesn't bother me. It simply comes with the architecture!
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to have a luxury stay in the capital. I can't complain about much after our recent stay. I'm certain I'll wish to stay here again, it may take some years (motherhood forgiving) but it will happen!
Thank you to all the staff I couldn't be happier with the experience.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank samantha1337
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you taking the time to write such a comprehensive post following your stay with us. I was thrilled that your enjoyed your stay and we exceeded your expectations from your previous stay. We have recently lovingly restored our hotel to its original Victorian splendour and have combined the best of the original features with modern fixtures and fittings to meet the needs of both our leisure and business guests. I always enjoy reading such great comments from our guests and was delighted to share your feedback with my team.
We look forward to seeing you again for another amazing stay with us.

With kind regards, Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Killarney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Went for a pre show drink on Sat night. Only a few people in the bar so we sat at the counter. After 20 mins we had to ask could we order a drink. Another ten mins past before our order was taken then wrong drinks served to us. Another ten minutes passed before correct cocktails served. Peanuts offered but they had to come from the kitchen so another delay. Hardly time left to drink them. Also caught the bar man licking the straw he mixed the drinks with. Not exactly 5 star service but 5 star prices.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was disappointed to read about your experience in our Reunion bar and I regret that our service let you down on your recent visit. Our highly qualified bar team do check their cocktails prior to pouring them to ensure that they are the quality and taste they should be and I can assure you that the straws used are never put back into the glass. I do hope you’ll give us another chance as we do have such a great location here for a pre theatre drink. Do let me know and our Bar Manager, Ed will ensure that you are well looked after.

Birmingham, England.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed for two nights and were happy with the location - right next to Victoria station and a short walk to Buckingham Palace. We used the tube and travelled to Camden Town for an amazing, authentic Greek meal.
As far as the Grosvenor is concerned, the standard room we were allocated on floor 5 was fine. Our room faced the station but noise was not a problem.The room was clean, recently refurbished with a very comfortable bed and a nice bathroom with a rain shower and a hand shower.
Public areas are impressive and grand. The breakfast buffet was disappointing and did not come up to the standard of the hotel. Some of the items were luke warm at best. Breakfast service felt rushed and overcrowded on Sunday morning,
We will certainly stay again and opt for the room only rate as there are many places to eat breakfast within the vicinity. We checked in online in advance and were so glad we didn't have to join the large check in queue at Reception!

Room Tip: Not a wing room... Fifth floor in main building, facing the station, was fine for us.
1 Thank nasdeb
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your e-mail. I was pleased you enjoyed our comfortable Hypnos bed and mattress toppers which we feel adds to a good nights sleep. I’m sorry you were disappointed with your breakfast experience; we are currently looking at ways to improve this area and your feedback is invaluable. I do regret that there was a queue at Reception when you arrived, unfortunately during peak check in times we sometimes experience an influx of arrivals at the same time and do try to mitigate this with additional team members, however I was pleased that by utilising our online check in this was not an issue for you, we also offer an express check-out service. We hope you will come to stay with us again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Found a good deal here, and was thrilled it was valid for Valentine's and included breakfast.

The location is fantastic, right next to the station and Victoria is easily reachable from other attractions in London. The lobby is lovely, room was beautiful, everything was of a very high standard. We had a deluxe room, with a big rainfall shower over a bath. Bed was fab and the room spacious.

Breakfast was a standard hotel buffet, with full English, continental, fruity and yoghurt, cereals and pastries. Service was also very good.

Such an enjoyable stay, would recommend for a treat!

Room Tip: As for a room away from the station.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post and choosing to stay with us over the Valentine’s weekend. I really enjoyed reading your feedback and was delighted you had such a great stay with us. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you again soon.

Rutherglen, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Good central hotel with Great staff and service.Stayed in room 616 in the 6th floor which was very quiet,room itself a little drab with badly scored and marked walls,outwith this the cleanliness was fine.Breakfast choice varied and good quality and service attentive.I would recommend the Grosvenor but if staying longer than a day or so suggest you book a deluxe room as our standard room felt a little cramped.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I really appreciate your compliments regarding my team and the service you received and will certainly address the marked wall in room 616 with my Maintenance team. We do have varying sizes and shaped rooms here at The Grosvenor due to the age of our building however as you rightly suggest our Deluxe rooms are larger than our Standard rooms and our Executive rooms are even larger. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed here for a night with my partner before travelling to Paris via Eurostar. As soon as we arrived we felt we were in a special place! Staff were so helpful with bags & couldn't do more to help us out. We checked in with the receptionist who was so friendly & wished me a happy 21st birthday! We had been upgraded to a deluxe room free of charge because of my birthday which was lovely of the hotel. We were early & aware check in wasn't until 3 but the receptionist said he would have a room made up for us as soon as possible which wasn't a problem for us as we wanted to go out & sightsee right away as we only had that day to see London. He advised us we could leave a mobile number & he will phone us when a room had been prepared which was great for us. We left our bags with the hotel in their secure baggage room & off we went to tour London. About half an hour later we got the phonecall that our room was ready! We were off seeing all the sights so we didn't arrive back till around half past 5 where we were greeted by our very helpful receptionist as well as the lovely reception manager Sonali, who wished me a very happy birthday & a very pleasant stay. Our bags had already been taken up to our room for us so we headed up. The room was absolutely flawless. Very elegant! Gorgeous with complementary robes & slippers for our stay. There was 2 bottles of wine & a gorgeous little parcel of sweets left for me as well as a birthday card from Sonali, the reception manager. So so kind! The location is perfect with an entrance in victoria station directly into & out of the hotel. I couldn't be happier with my stay & we wished we had stayed in London longer & have more nights in this fabulous hotel! Can't fault it in the slightest & we will definitely be returning to this hotel & this hotel alone on our next trip to London. Thankyou so much to everyone at The Grosvenor for an amazing & memorable stay. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting London!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your amazing post. I thrilled to share your comments with the team and thank you for your special mention about Sonali. Your detailed review of the hotel and the service you received really helps to motivate the team to make our guests stay a memorable and enjoyable experience. I was delighted you couldn’t be happier with your stay, especially as it was such a special occasion. We hope that when you come back to London, you’ll stay with us for a longer visit.

glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

I. recently spent a night in this fantastic hotel on a short theatre break to London on the occasion of my 21st birthday ,from the moment we arrived I was made to feel very special our room was so beautiful and the lovely touch of wine chocs sweets and crisps in our room along with a card from the manager was very much appreciated and unexpected. we only spent the one night as we were going to Paris the next day but the next time we visit London we will make sure to stay in the Grosvenor and it will definitely be for more than one night. Once again thank you to everyone at the Grosvenor .

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post and choosing to stay with us for such a special occasion. It was a pleasure to share your feedback with my team and I’m delighted our team made you feel so special. Next time you’re in London, we’ll make sure you have another unforgettable experience with us.