“Excellent stay”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #230 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Mixing business with pleasure, my wife and I booked a two night stay here through Olotels (more later). The price was very competitive - and it included breakfast, which few other agents offered or, when they did, at a much higher price.

After a long day, working and travelling we arrived at Victoria Station at around 22:30. Unfortunately at that time of night the back door (which leads you straight from the station into the hotel) was closed, so we had to go out into the street - however even then it is only a 3 minute walk.

We were politely and efficiently checked in - though I'm glad I remembered to print off the Olotel voucher because it was an essential part of the transaction.

The room was "compact", but very clean, recently decorated and with good quality furnishings. The wifi worked, there was a Bose iPod player and a rainfall(?) shower. The bed was super comfortable and we slept soundly. We were pleased to find that they still provide a turn-down service in the evenings - and they even placed a card in the master switch to ensure that the room was air conditioned and lit when we returned on the second evening.

Breakfast was all-you-can-eat buffet style, nicely laid out and with a sufficiently wide choice to suit most people. The only complaint was that it proved challenging to get a top up of coffee on the second morning.

The area immediately around the hotel is tourist central, with lots of backpackers milling around trying to find their bus/train/taxi. It is also not the cleanest part of the city, but it is certainly very central, with Buckingham Palace just down the road.

So for the hotel - yes, I would thoroughly recommend it, particularly at the £150 per night (for room and breakfast for two) that we paid.

Olotels? As mentioned above, the price was terrific value, so much so that I began to worry that it might be too good to be true. However and much to my relief, they delivered! The voucher seems to be important to secure your room, so don't forget it. The only caveat is that you are given a price in £ Sterling, but you are billed in Euros, which adds a little to the final cost. Even so, they beat their nearest competitor - and threw in breakfast! I'll be using them again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David H
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your post and awarding us five stars. I enjoyed reading your detailed review of the hotel and delighted you had an excellent stay with us and I have shared your comments with my team. We are very centrally located here at Victoria, and the side doors leading directly into the overground station are very convenient. I hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon.

Kind regards, Ian

Write a ReviewReviews (4,465)

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed with my family at The Grosvenor Hotel for 5 days whilst we were visiting London. It provides an excellent base from which to explore the sights of the Capital especially as it is adjacent to Victoria Station and there is also a bus stop close to the front entrance.

We had an executive king room. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. The bathroom (and the room itself) were spotless and the bathroom came with soap, shower gel etc which was replenished daily. Fresh fruit was also provided and there were tea and coffee facilities. We had a fridge which was stocked with a variety of soft drinks and mineral water. For the business traveller there was also an iron with ironing board and a shoe shine kit together with a safe.

We were also impressed with the friendly and helpful staff and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Executive King Rooms are spacious and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Swebcat

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was delighted you enjoyed our Executive room and the amenities and found us an excellent base to explore all of the sights that London has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you all back to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

It is the second time that I'm staying in this hotel.
The hotel is located just next to the Victoria station (few metro lines).
It offers big rooms (compare to Parisian hotel rooms) and very good services. Staff is always available for assistance.
The food is good, especially at the Chinese restaurant.
I did not know about before my Asian friends told me about it. I will most probably come back

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post and choosing to stay with us for a return visit. I was pleased you enjoyed the Grand Imperial restaurant that your friends recommended and we look forward to welcoming you for another stay with us.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

In London to celebrate my daughters 16th Birthday, stayed 1 night BB (£140 booked with TravelRepublic). Check in was fast an efficient, a bit of a walk to our room on the 3rd floor. Room was small but nice, we had a view of the train station roof but didn't hear any noise. Breakfast was good with lovely service. This Hotel is very' old world' & has some amazing features. Fantastic location for Central London, would stay again.

Room Tip: Think top floor rooms would have better views
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was delighted you chose to stay with us to celebrate your daughters 16th birthday. We have recently restored our hotel to its original Victorian glory and added some modern touches. I do hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We came from Singapore and upgraded our room, we went in to the beautiful entrance way and up to our room. Immediately flopped into the delightful soft bed, closed the curtains and went to sleep for 4 hours.
The room was large for a Europe capital city, great classical English breakfasts, with good coffee fuelled our morning walks to the Palaces, Regent st, the Thames, Westminister Abbey, and the eye which were all close by.
Whilst on a busy street, next to the busiest rail station in London we could still go into the cocktail lounge and have a quiet chat.
Great staff hospitality with tours organised from the lobby. I would recommend this hotel to everyone wanting to travel to London.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael T

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such a fantastic post. I was thrilled you had such a restful sleep, especially after your long trip from Singapore; and enjoyed the “luxurious feel” of our hotel. We have a great location here at Victoria with many of the sights that London has to offer as well as transport links within walking distance from our front door. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We just spent four nights. It's been lovely. Room small but spotless. Centrally located to buckingham palace, transport, food shops, pubs. Once we got our bearings we really enjoyed staying at this location. It was also a very quiet room. Breakfast was varied and should please everyone. Thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I’m glad you had a lovely stay with us and enjoyed our central location, I hope to see you back to stay with us again soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our family just spent four days at The Grosvenor for a wedding. I could not say enough about how helpful the staff was at the hotel with special recognition and gratitude going to Sonali Sawant, Reception Manager at the Hotel. At a time when the wedding was not proceeding exactly according to plan, she was able to step in and provide hotel resources and information to solve each issue as they appeared. (BTW, the wedding went well and the couple could not be happier!!) Once again, for that, we will always be grateful!
As for the hotel, the accommodations were fantastic. The hotel is perfectly situated close to all. Being right near Victoria station, which is much like a mall with a train station inside, all of London is accessible and should you require anything, it is close at hand. Bottom line, lovely staff, beautiful and grand facility, and convenient, there is nothing negative about the Grosvenor. I whole heartedly recommend it to all.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lou M
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your post and choosing to stay with us for such a special occasion. I was thrilled to read your kind compliments about Sonali and the rest of my team, which I have shared with them all. Being based at Victoria Station we do have excellent transport links to all that London has to offer. Thank you for your whole hearted recommendation and I hope to see you again very soon.