“EXCELLENT HOTEL GREAT LOCATION”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #185 of 1,088 Hotels in London
West Midlands
“EXCELLENT HOTEL GREAT LOCATION”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

On arrival , the porter helped our group with their luggage.
We arrived early however we could pre-check in. The lady on Reception desk, advised that we could store our luggage and if we returned back at @ 3pm we would then be given our keys to our room and our luggage will be awaiting in our room.The lady on desk also asked if we had stayed at the hotel before, and we informed her no, this was our first time. She welcomed us both to the hotel, and then explained where to go for Breakfast and also advised the time of when the Breakfast was available from and too. If we had any issues with our Room, to report to Reception and they would help to sort out our issue. Perfect check in, lovely lady. Excellent start to our weekend in London. We then went out to explore some of the sites, first being Camden , ( very busy) Weather was good, however we did experience a rain shower. When we arrived back, we were given our keys and when we got to our room (3rd floor) our luggage was waiting.
Our room was lovely, 2 single beds, but we believe that they were in fact a bigger size to a standard single. Bathroom was white and black, over average size. Huge wardrobe space, including, umbrella , ironing board, iron, coat hanger.
On the left hand side we had a free safe, including fridge, tea and coffee facilities, kettle etc etc
Desk, table, including chair , and lastly a wooden jewellery box and when opened a mirror!
Again this was a lovely touch.
Very clean and we had plenty of facilities for our length of stay.
This Hotel is perfect location. You have a couple of pubs near by. (walking distance ) you have Victoria railway station, and the underground around the corner, so again in a few mins walking distance you can be on a tube, In the station, you also have marks and spencers, superdrug, and a wetherspoon pub.... More shops too, but unable to remember the names!
Great night sleep.
Breakfast excellent. A good choice of cereal, hot buffet food, ie bacon sausage etc etc
Fruit, and fruit juices too, The service was just perfect, excellent.
Check out was 12noon however our coach was not picking us up until 6pm. The hotel let us store our luggage at no extra cost.
I would recommend this hotel , and I would stay here again.
Thanking to all the staff.

Room Tip: no helpful room tips, 3rd floor was good for us.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mktaylor39
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your detailed post. I was delighted that your weekend in London started with our excellent Receptionist and you liked our lovely touches. We hope to welcome you and your family back to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards, Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (857)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Beautiful building and inside. Rooms average, noisy and curtains let light in. But the annoying problem is the extra charges on almost everything. They add 12.5% onto everything. Stairs everywhere meaning Concierge are necessary at extra charge. I requested my room be serviced early as I was hosting a few colleagues there prior to a meeting. Room cleaned by 15.30! Oh, they do not allow you to take food or drink to your rooms requiring you to buy everything in house so add 12.5% to that. The long black hairs that appear daily in the bathroom appear to be exempt from the 12.5% surcharge. I will not stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for non wing rooms!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was really disappointed to read your comments and I regret that despite our beautiful building our service let your down during your stay with us.

I’m sorry to hear that you won’t be staying with us again

Kind regards,
Ian
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Grosvenor is not just a hotel. It is an experience. As soon as you step into its historic lobby you know you are in for something different. I had booked the Grosvenor simply because I wanted a quick escape route from Central London to Gatwick Airport. Little did I realise, The Grosvenor is right on top of Victoria Station which runs the super efficient Gatwick Express every 15 minutes. Allthis was a real bonus but as well, the Grosvenor is so central to many Londons best tourist attractions. Our room was small but comfortable and the meal at the restaurant was first rate and without the cost of a kings ransom. At our departure, Reception performed beyond he call of duty in confirming details of our next accommodation in Spain. So allin all, a great experience at the Grosvenor. We will definitely be back.

2 Thank 255100Max
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your glittering post. I was thrilled that you both enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you both back to stay with us in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Booked four nights for self and wife at 24 hours notice to visit daughter who had just given birth for first time. Best availability our travel agent could find in Victoria - Westminster area was The Grosvenor. Only room options available were Double De Luxe or Executive King. Double De Luxe room was quoted at £348 per night average and Executive King at £384 per night average. Although somewhat shocked at these rates we did not have time or other options and selected the Executive King as Grosvenor website described the room as “extra space to work and relax” and listed various additional extras including flowers and fruit on arrival and access to Guoman Executive Lounge. We checked in at midnight and proceeded to room. No flowers or fruit. I went back to gentleman at reception and queried this to be told that this nor Executive Lounge access nor other extras were included in our stay as our reservation had been made by a travel agent, that these extras were only available when booking was made directly with the hotel! Nowhere on their website did I see this proviso. I was astonished and pointed out that our stay for four nights was costing £1,500 room only which I considered extortionate in any event. After ten minutes of argument he asked me to return to room whilst he contacted a more senior member of management. He phoned later and informed me that the senior manager had agreed that we would have all facilities as listed on their website for that particular room option. Never got the flowers and fruit, the daily newspaper or the turndown service but did enjoy use of the lounge.
The room itself was a big let down. It was small and whilst adequate for one was a struggle for two.The lounge area described on the website was a settee pushed up against the bottom of the bed with a coffee table in front. Wardrobe was incredibly small with most space taken up with a safe and empty mini refrigerator. No drawer space available anywhere in the room so we had to work out of our suitcases.
All in all a huge disappointment for such a lot of money.

Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I was really disheartened that you had a disappointing stay with us on what should have been an exciting occasion for you both. My team have been made aware that anyone who books our Executive rooms should receive our Executive package and I am really sorry that this was not the case in your situation. We would really like to prove to you that we can get it right. Please do contact me directly when you are next in London and I will personally ensure that you have a memorable stay with us.

Hudson, NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on our way to Norway. Saw the sights of London. Very good location. Old & classic elegance. The room was lovely. Stayed on the 5th floor. Beautiful room, no view. Dark & overlooked a roof. Nt much time in the room so it didn't matter. Being from the states, the bathroom was a challenge. Towel warmer was delightful. Had a difficult time with the shower & regulating the water & where it was spraying from. Complimentary beverages were a nice touch. The executive lounge was a welcome retreat not only for a private breakfast but the late afternoon wine was a nice retreat. Supposed to have canapés available however none appeared. The restaurant, The Brasserie, was good. Late arrival & convenient. Waiter did not know the bar menu at all & after a long flight & a long day it was frustrating. The best & brightest part of the stay was Dimiter the young man who assisted us with our bags on the first night. We were told the concierge would assist with all we needed however it was very sorely lacking with lawrence at the desk. We got a wealth of info from Dimiter. HeWas extremely helpful with directing us to area attractions as well as navigating the underground. He is friendly,, very courteous & exuded superb service. He was excellent & deserves all compliments I can bestow.

1 Thank catherine57NH
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post and complementary comments about Dimitar which I have passed on to him and my Head Concierge. I was delighted that you were able to take in the sights that London has to offer and enjoyed our Executive Lounge facilities. It was regretful that you had a difficult time operating our shower; one of our team will be only to happy to assist you should you choose to stay with us again in the future.

Nederland, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is beautiful inside and out. We were on a tour with Globus and would be staying here at the start and end of our tour of the UK and Ireland. Let me start with our first night (05/24/2013):

My boyfriend and I were traveling with my mother and she was to be staying in a separate room from us. We arrived at around 11am and our rooms were not ready (which is understandable given how early it was). My boyfriend and I left for a few hours and my mom hung around the area and my boyfriend and I ended up getting back at around 2pm-- we were told rooms would be guaranteed by 3 but could possibly be ready sooner.

We checked, and my boyfriend and I's room was ready, but my mom's was not. So the three of us went up to the same room while my mom waited on hers. We were told they would call us when her room was ready, but they never did. I ended up having to call down to the lobby to ask. This was about 5 minutes until 3. Turns out her room was right across from ours.

Now, the room. It was nicely furnished and clean, and a good size. It had a nice view of the Victoria Train Station and the road. However, instead of giving us one bed big enough for two people, the beds were simply pushed together to create a larger bed. Not comfortable and not practical for a young couple...

We were starving before dinner so we wanted to order a 'snack' from room service. The prices for everything were astronomical so we ended up ordering some bread with oil and balsalmic for about 4.50. We also ordered two bottles of still water--which we thought would be the normal size bottles of water.

The bottles ended up being huge (one bottle would have been enough for us to share), about the size of a wine bottle. And all of that with the service charge and tip was over 15 GBP...for some scraps of bread, oil and water! That's about $23 USD. !!!

Overall, the room was comfortable. The reception on our television was a little fuzzy despite it being a newer model tv. But I don't have a lot of negatives to say about this particular stay.

Our second stay on the last night was better. While our view from the room was not as good, the room had a full size bed instead of two smooshed together. Thank god! The room also seemed to have more space. But it was just as clean and furnished as the first night we stayed.

Both rooms also had a micro fridge which included sparkling water, but we did not partake.

Pretty nice stay overall.

Room Tip: If you're a couple, make sure you request one large bed instead of two pushed up against each ot...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank suzshipman
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I’m glad you found the Hotel to be beautiful and your room comfortable I do hope to welcome you all back again the next time you visit the United Kingdom.

Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Convenient location right next to Victoria station but there are major construction works going on next door to the hotel ( Crossrail ) so it is chaos outside. No noise with the hotel though.
Reception staff were friendly and helpful as we were leaving our bags before check in.
The room, 6th floor wing, room 615, was large, immaculately clean and well presented, and overlooked the front of the hotel, although I found the decor to be dark and a bit oppressive but that's just personal taste.The room itself was large, the bed was a king and sublimely comfortable as were the pillows, the shower was superb. Cannot say if it was good value as it was a surprise trip!
We ate breakfast in the Brasserie the next day which was fine but again I found the decor to be dark and a tad gloomy.
All in all a good hotel

1 Thank banffUk
Dear Reviewer,

Thanks for your post. I’m glad you found the Hotel to be beautiful and your room comfortable. I do hope to welcome you all back again the next time you visit the United Kingdom.