“Wonderful Stay”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #224 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Sailing out of Southampton, we had booked rooms at The Grosvenor, London for our pre and post cruise lodgings. Both stays were wonderful, albeit our “wing” room post-cruise was not quite as grand as the suite we occupied pre-cruise. Both times the rooms were clean, welcoming and the staff at The Grosvenor are wonderful.

As for the location, it can’t be beat. The hotel is adjacent to the Victoria Station and is a very short walk to Buckingham Palace in one direction and to the Coach Terminal in the other. This proved to be very handy when returning to the Grosvenor via National Express from Southampton.

There are many dining choices nearby, however I’d suggest venturing towards Belgravia. So many options and steps away from the establishments catering to tourists and commuters.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear TOgirlCanada,

Thank you for your wonderful Tripadvisor review,

I was so pleased to read that your pre and post cruise stays were good.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Michael Parker – General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,393)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in February 2012 and from the minute we checked in (3 hours early too) until we left it was a perfect winter getaway from the States. The hotel was so beautiful and I felt like royalty. It is very close to pubs so you can walk there and stumble back to your room also close to the tube. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a great vacation in London.

Room Tip: There was construction happening on the outside of the hotel. There was a bit of a paint smell ever...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ImCharly

Dear ImCharly,

Thank you for your fantastic Tripadvisor review,

I was pleased to read you had a great trip to London.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the UK!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I received a welcome 50% discount for my stay. I booked a single room (asked for the best available) but it was noisy and too near the lifts even thought the hotel seemed very quiet. More worryingly there were hairs (not mine) in the bathroom and an item of the previous guest's clothing left. I was upgraded to nicer room once I had alerted the staff who were very helpful at all times.

However in my new room I did not receive an important phone message, even though I was in the room at the time. Apologies followed and a complimentary breakfast but it was a rather eventful and unrelaxing 24 hours spent in the hotel.

Room Tip: I asked for the best room available but don't think I received it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank grownupUK

Dear grownupUK,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

I was pleased to read that our refurbishment here at the Grosvenor met your expectations.

I really appreciate the feedback with regards to Housekeeping and your phone message; I have passed these on to the team who will see where improvements can be made.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and please feel free to drop me an e-mail if I can assist with any arrangements

My personal e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at the Grosvenor over bank holiday weekend, and it was wow! All the way! From walking in to the beautiful lobby and being greeted by staff we couldn't ask for a better overnight stay.

We were upgraded to the executive floor (room 430) and nothing was too much trouble for anyone, the staff were great.

Our room was fabulous, airy, spacious with a seating area and a lovely view up the road towards Buckingham palace. The bathroom was clean, tidy and a good size with a monsoon shower, heaven!! Large comfortable bed, mini bar and tea coffee making facilities. The room was finished to a high spec and was very luxurious as well as comfortable.

The executive lounge was outstanding, discreet service, full drinks bar and complimentary hot drinks, snacks and canapés throughout the day. Great service and unlike a lot of executive lounges it had a relaxed feel about it. A very nice part of the hotel and well worth it if you can upgrade.

We tried the champagne bar, it's a lovely space with a great view of the train station, very trendy and the cocktails were very good. A beautiful space to finish an evening out.

My only gripe was breakfast in the main restaurant was disappointing. Whilst the food was of a good standard it was a little on the cold side. The restaurant also had full blown air con on (it was unnecessary if you had seen the weather in London that weekend!) which resulted in colder food and a cold guest!! The tea was a lot to be desired too, it came out of a hot flask and you could tell it was stewed and cold, never mind it didn't detract from the experience. I would have thought they would serve fresh tea but i suppose it's an efficient form of service. We left breakfast in the restaurant and went for a coffee and danish in the executive lounge, much better and we both wished we had visited there instead of the main area, service was outstanding.

Although the hotel is directly on top of Victoria station but not once did I hear a train or experience any discomfort or noise as a result of this. We were able to walk to Buckingham palace and the hotel is about 15 - 20 minutes walk to trafalgar square, it's very central.

If we did not have to be home on the Sunday we would have extended our stay, we enjoyed the hotel that much. We are returning to London at Christmas and will definitely consider staying at the Grosvenor again.

The staff and service are impeccable, the hotel exudes a luxurious feel and the executive floor/rooms are among the best I have visited. If you want to be treated like a rock star for the night, this is the hotel to go to.

Well done Grosvenor, you are fabulous!!

Room Tip: Go all out for an executive room, the benefits are well worth the little bit extra. Room 430 was gre...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear anneloo,

Thank you for the fabulous Tripadvisor review,

It’s always great to receive such feedback and I have shared this with my team.

Our Executive rooms and lounge certainly offer that added level of luxury to any stay.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here for one night, and would definitely come back. The reception-staff was welcoming, and the hotel itself is gorgeous. What some people do not expect however is the small rooms on offer. Being what I can imagine is a listed property, I expect renovating to enlarge the rooms is something this hotel is not allowed to do. As such, and as a frequent traveller to London, I didn't expect much else. This hotel has many rooms, and they are adequate in size. No, they are not huge, but they are well furnished, and are large enough to be comfortable.
The breakfast was lovely, serving all British necessities (bacon, hashbrowns, black pudding etc). The price depends on when and where you book. I paid 100 euro for one night, which is very fair for London, and for a 4star hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear lindakatarina,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my Reception team were most welcoming.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have recently returned from a 4 night stay at the Grosvenor Hotel. We took advantage of a 50% offer and managed to get the room for £100 per night which I would consider quite a bargain considering the style and location of this hotel.
We had a wonderful stay at the Grosvenor and I would go as far as to say this is definitely the best hotel we have ever stayed in!
The hotel itself is historic,grand and opulent and would be fantastic for a stay on a special occasion or just for a sight-seeing holiday. The lobby, and communal areas of the hotel are beautiful, I felt like I was living in luxury for those 4 days! We felt like valued guests and the staff were very accommodating and polite.
The room we stayed in was modern, clean and cleaned to a high standard each day. The room had all the required amenities including a fridge (very handy) and being in the room felt like a home from home!
The hotel includes the Brasserie Restaurant, Reunion Bar and Grand Imperial (Chinese) restaurant. Normally we would not choose to eat in a hotel however we sampled all of these - we did not eat out any night as we had all we needed at the hotel! We had breakfast one morning at the hotel. This was buffet style with everything you would need and it was all cooked very well and tasted lovely. We had breakfast here as we took advantage of a special offer however breakfast would have been out of our price range had this offer not been available.
We eat at the Brasserie Restaurant and had the steak and desserts. We were impressed with the decor, ambiance, food and service in this restaurant.
We also eat one evening in the Grand Imperial which is a beautiful restaurant with good food, attentive service and a romantic atmosphere. The Reunion bar is a gorgeous setting for an aperitif or to sample a cocktail.
The hotel is also in an excellent location; next door to Victoria Tube station and served by good bus transport links, we actually used the buses mostly as it is a great way to see the sights. The Apollo Victoria Theatre, Pacha Nightclub and Victoria Palace Theatre are all within a minute of this hotel! The Grosvenor is also in walking distance to all the sights in the centre of London - Buckingham Palace, Westminster, London Eye and Hyde Park.
I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again and would definitely recommend it to others.

TIP - Book the restaurants through 'Top Table' to take advantage of special offers and be aware that a 12.5% service charge will be added to food and drinks. There is also a wine bar across the road from the hotel called 'Balls Brothers' which is a great place for drinks!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear LevellerRoamer,

Thank you for your wonderful Tripadvisor review,

It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments and I have shared these with my team.

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned from a 1 night stay here. We managed to get the room for £89, which was great value for its location and during the Paralympics. It's right next to Victoria station so easy to get too, plus the lobby and bar are very beautifully decorated and clearly have history.

Didn't have dinner or breakfast so can't comment on the food.

Only slight gripe was that the pillows were too hard. But that is minuscule.

Lovely hotel with character

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear bowie_harrison,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

I was pleased to read that you had a great trip to London.