“Tremendous location”

Ranked #185 of 1,088 Hotels in London
West Texas
“Tremendous location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this hotel following a bus tour of the UK. The staff is friendly and helpful. We were there during the Diamond Jubilee and had a wonderful time. The location is close to everything, including many theatres, tourist sights and pubs. We saw "Billy Elliott" at a nearby theatre and ate at Shakesphere and Victoria pubs. The rooms were relatively large and comfortable. The computer/business room needs to be enlarged. The breakfast bufet is very food. The main down side is the fact that the hotel is in two adjoining buildings and what is the third floor in one building is the fourth in the other. It was difficult to find our room initially. We recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DGG2009
, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear DGG2009,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Jubilee weekend with us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (857)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Des Moines Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel is within walking distance of Westminister Abbey, House of Parliament; a major rail station and the subway. It doesn't get much better than that. The rooms are large for a European hotel and the staff is friendly and helpful. The only negative was the WiFi which was unreliable and difficult to use. Also, the days when WiFi is an extra should be long over. That said, the hotel was a good value.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street have great windows and we did not notice any traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jebDesMoinesIowa
Dear jebDesMoineslowa,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review.

I was really pleased to read that you had a great stay.

Des Plaines, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel could not be any closer to Victoria station. That made it incredibly easy for us to get all around London. I love the Victorian look and feel of the hotel. It was quiet and the bed was comfortable. However, for the price, it fell a little short. At breakfast the first day I took a slice of pineapple and one of watermelon. I couldn't eat either as both had gone bad. The tiny bathroom is typical of Europe, however, they need to work a little harder to make it work. The toilet faced the sink. The toilet paper roll was underneath the sink, near the floor. First of all, if you didn't unroll it carefully, the paper touched the floor. Not very sanitary. And if you were a plus size or tall person or elderly, it would be difficult to bend down to the floor to grab the paper while seated. Something else that didn't make sense was the garbage can in the bathroom. No where to put it except under the sink, which was fine except it was the kind you have to step on to open. So you have to lean back to step on it and at the same time try to bend under the tiny sink to throw something away. I consider myself rather fit but most of the time I used my other hand to open the garbage can because I couldn't contort my body. We were in the "wing building" so we had to take the elevator from the lobby to the fourth floor, then walk the entire length of the first building and take the elevator to our room on the 7th floor. Something to consider if you have health issues. None of those things was enough to ruin the trip by any means and I would say the good outweighed the bad. However I felt it fell short of what it claimed to be.

1 Thank BeenTo7Continents
Dear BeenTo7Continents,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the location of the Hotel suited your needs.

Thank you also for the feedback regarding the bathroom, my Housekeeper will review these to see if we can re locate the bin and toilet roll holder.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

The hotel is very nice and relatively modern. Unfortunately the rude reception staff made the stay a little unpleasant. When we arrived and provided our booking details we were advised that there is no booking. After checking with the manager they found our booking - no apology for the confusion.

We were a little early to check in so left our bags and went for a wonder. Came back to the hotel at about 12.30 and went to reception to see if our room was ready. The rudest receptionist advised us come back at 3pm. There was no respect or friendliness in her tone. I understand the pressures of working in a busy hotel but if your not going to respect your guests then I'd suggest you work in the back office.

Our room was in the wing which was a fair walk from reception which didn't matter at all. The room was huge and the bed was very comfortable. The quality TV and Bose sound system was a nice touch to the overall comfort in the room.

I'd stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Peter D,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review.

Please accept my apologies that my Front Desk team did not display our normally high levels of Guest care, I know my Front Office Manager will be as disappointed as I am with the feedback and will address this with the team.

I was however pleased to read that the location of the Hotel suited your needs and that you found your room to be comfortable

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed at the hotel in January and had a lovely room and very pleasant stay, returned this weekend and very disappoinnted, Our room had various faults definately not refurbished, painting going on in hallway, such a strong smell of paint that my friend who is astmatic was reallly unwell due to this and therefore we had to leave earlier and cut short our trip .We were told we had a newly refurbished room,decorating not finished and no rain shower which we had last time.

We did complain on leaving the hotel and emailed once home, and to be perfectly honest the hotet reservation team were extremely helpful and understanding and even telephoned us at home and personaly talked through our issues their customer care was excellent certainly 5 star. We will be returning to the hotel sometime in the near future, and are looking forward to our stay.

Thankyou very much for your understanding, kindness and sincere apologies.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Hopkins08

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review.

I am sorry that some areas of your stay were disappointing although I was pleased to read my team have been in contact.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and in the mean time please feel free to drop me a note personally if I can be of any assistance

My e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Reception area/entrance - best i've seen in any hotel. Very posh and very clean, with friendly staff.
Bedroom - modern and of good size, could be cleaned better and room was a bit noisy at times due to Victoria station. Has iPod dock/speakers and fridge.
Gym - good equipment for a hotel - treadmills, cross trainers and also free weights and cable weights machine.
Didn't have breakfast as this was very expensive. There is a Pret a Manger 2 minutes walk from the hotel which offers a much cheaper alternative.
Evening meal in the hotel was very nice, check online for offers. Service was also very good.
Overall, a very good hotel, however it was noisy due to the station until around 10.30/11pm. Despite the room being clean enough, for the very high price you would expect it to be immaculately clean.
Also the location is superb, 2 minutes to get into Victoria for trains or tube and 5-10 minute walk to Buckingham Palace.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear unitedlegend,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review, I was pleased to read that you had a good stay and that the Hotels location suited your needs.

Newport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

We came on a 2 night organised coach trip from South Wales and extended the stay by another two nights in order to watch the carriage procession along the Mall on Tuesday. The room was on the 7th floor of the wing. It had been nearly refurbished, but quite small, however the raindrop shower in the bathrooom was excellent. Breakfast was very good, however when we tried to arrange for an earlier time than the 7am start, to go to the Mall - it proved very difficult to have anything before 6.30am please beware of this. Overall an excellent hotel to stay in London for location and value.

Room Tip: Go for the wing rooms on the higher floors, not on the street, they were quiet except for a few stat...
Dear Tony M,

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review, I was pleased to read that you had a great stay.

I have asked my Food and Beverage team to note the comments regarding the breakfast times to ensure that early breakfast requests are met