“great hotel if you're a heavy sleeper!!”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #183 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Ballymena, United Kingdom
“great hotel if you're a heavy sleeper!!”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a one night stay at this hotel. The hotel decor is 1st class and the staff were very helpful especially the concierge. The room was small but very clean and tastefully decorated. The only down side is the tannoy announcements within Victoria Station which start at 7.30 in the morning!!

The fact that the hotel is central to quite a lot of attractions means I would probably use it again if I got it at a competetive price. I would just make sure to pack my ear plugs.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear luci4trip,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that the location of the Hotel suited your needs and that my team were on hand to assist.

We have recently fitted all of our rooms with double and in some cases triple glazing which has reduced greatly any noise that is experienced in the bedrooms. We do however have regular meetings with Victoria station and we will mention your feedback to them as the volume from there announcements does change from time to time.

Thank you once again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
bucks
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Really nice hotel in a great location. Victoria tube station close by which has cheap rate parking over weekend £10 for 24 hrs. We had room only rate as breakfast was quite expensive and there are plenty of places close by where you can eat well for a lot cheaper.

1 Thank loobyBucks
Dear loobyBucks,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back

Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2012

i stayed at The Grosvenor for one night whilst on business in London.
I found the staff pleasant and helpful, the check in very quick and pain free.

My room was quite small but relatively modern, although it really smelt strongly of paint, with no option to open the windows as they are sealed shut.
i have to admit i did have a headache after about 20 minutes, and woke with one the next morning.

the bathroom was dissapointing, i do wish that hotels would completely do away with showers over baths, they are clumsy and dangerous, i would much rather a shower cubicle.
toilet flush was a bit pathetic, took a lot of times to flush paper.

breakfast was your typical breakfast buffet, which was a little dissapointing, ive stayed in far cheaper hotels in Glasgow etc with much better breakfast buffets, no one seated me, i stood round waiting and simply couldnt wait any longer, so just found a clear table (rather difficult, tables full of dirty plates and cups) and sat down.

quick access straight out to victoria station and the tube which was helpful for me to get home quickly.

i dont think i would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear prettypaulauk,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was disappointed to read that your stay was not more memorable.

I am confident that on a future visit we would be able to reassure you of our normally high standards and please feel free to contact me personally if you are visiting London again in the future

My e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Edinburgh
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Rooms were of a very high standard, with Elemis toiletries and nice teas, coffees, magazines etc.

Hotel breakfast is buffet style so not the freshest, but still a good choice.

The hotel is huge, so quite a long walk to the rooms from reception, and a couple of lifts.

Lovely gym with brand new equipment.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear kate_wareham,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2012

A quiet, elegant establishment and very close to the tube. The foyer is refined and very welcoming after the 5 pm rugger scrum on the tube. Staff were very friendly and attentive. The room was compact and very nice and we were easily able to forget that a heaving, hard hitting metropolis was only moments away.

We were told (on booking) that the room in which we were staying had been 'soundproofed'. Naturally this brought a smile to our faces. It further begged the question about the purpose of the soundproofing - was it to stop noise from outside penetrating our room or vice verca. We had a very peaceful and pleasant stay that night, in part because we were exhausted and in part because of the soundproofing.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patrick p
Dear patrick p,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to offer you a warm welcome after facing the London rush hour!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Very good experience. From the beginning when we arrived, a guy named Peter checked us in, he was very nice and smiling.
The room was quite large and all newly refurbished.
Very smart position of the hotel, literally next to Victoria's station.
Only one complaint: at the restaurant the lady was a little rude (a blonde girl) and she asked me to pay for a cappucino, 4.50 pounds!!
If not for that, I would say perfect experience!

1 Thank Eliana S
Dear Eliana S,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I have passed you comments on (with a special mention to Peter)

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Arrived in London on business and made the most of the weekend after sight seeing also as Everton v Liverpool were at Wembley for the Semi Final!

I had travelled down from Manchester early, so rang the day before and requested an early check in (9am).

Although the hotel was fully booked the day before, I was promised the first room available would be allocated to me.

On arrival I was checked in swiftly, offered a discount on breakfast (£10 per person) and assisted to my room by the concierge.

The hotel is very ornate and looks very stylish and grand.

The room was upgraded free of charge to a large suite which had everything needed.

The room had a fully stocked mini bar, iron, dvd player, ipod player docking station, bath robes, nice bath toiletries etc, clean etc.

Some building work was going on outside, but we were not disturbed.

The hotel is in a great location right next to Victoria station.

The only downside is the car park the hotel uses is a few blocks away, so ideally you need to drop your bags and then park the car. You get a 40% discount from the hotel so its approx £28 for 24 hours parking. Not bad at all!

The breakfast was excellent, big range, smoke salmon, hot and cold foods, cereals etc.

Nearby is the National History Museum and tube rides can take you easily to the very cool South Kensington High Street, Knightsbridge (Harvey Nichols and Harrods) and the Tate Modern on the Southbank where we saw the Damien Hirst exhibition.

Hyde Park/Oxford Street etc easily accessible, I got a taxi for only £8.

I left some items in the hotel on check out and these were kindly kept safe and posted back to me (i paid postage)

Very friendly staff, lovely hotel, I paid £150 for the night (plus £10 per person for breakfast at the hotel), great value for money.

Felt almost like a 5 star hotel. No pool or gym, but the location really is premium. If you want a pool youre looking at the Hilton or Savoy etc which is over double the price.

Would definitely recommend.

For the younger crowd Pacha London is round the corner.

1 Thank Jamie959
Dear Jamie959,

Thank you for your great Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that my team were on hand to assist.