“Unusable wi-fi”

Ranked #193 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“Unusable wi-fi”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed at the Grosvenor for 3 nights. It's a nice looking hotel and the room was adequate, while expensive. This was a working holiday and I spent a good deal of time in the room. There is however one "minor" niggle that makes it unsuitable for those who need to get work done -- the internet connection is atrocious. I walked around the hotel with my laptop and was unable to find a spot where I'd get a consistent, strong signal. In my room, I only ever had one bar on the wireless meter, which meant my sessions were constantly disconnected, wasting literally hours of my time. This to me is unacceptable when the hotel is charging GBP10/day for wi-fi. I mentioned it at check-out and the girl blamed BT, saying she used them at home and had similar problems. Setting aside for a moment that her assertion made no sense, they might consider that I don't actually care just *whose* fault it is. What I do care about is that I did not receive the service I paid for. I was not going to argue with them over 20 or 30 pounds and they showed no inclination of wanting to make things right. No, it's far easier for me to just scratch this place off my list for good. Note to management: THIS IS 2012. Internet access is NOT a luxury; it is a UTILITY. You may as well have given me a room without running water or electricity.

On the bright side, the room contained a refrigerator, which is a nice extra. However, on leafing through their "guest services" book, I saw under "Food" - "It is not permitted to bring food into the hotel." Oh, that's right! Because they have their pretentious "brasserie" and they want to force you to go there after already charging an arm and a leg for the room! I ignored the rule and brought food from Sainsbury's and nobody said anything at least.

I can't imagine a set of circumstances that would compel me to ever stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Nick W,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review,

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing visit.

We are currently working with BT openzone to improve the service that is offered in the Hotel. We are upgrading the speed of the service, the coverage and number of access points the Hotel has. I am sorry that this was an inconvenience to you during your stay.

I was also disappointed to read your comments about the Brasserie; we have tried to make this a relaxed informal Restaurant but this was clearly not your experience. We will review this with the Food and Beverage team.

Once again thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies.

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Belfast
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed here with some friends and we were all pretty impressed.

It is 2 minutes walk from Victoria tube and train station so very central. 15 minutes walk to houses of parliament, less to Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. A few nice pubs on your doorstep and a Wetherspoons for a dirt cheap but tasty breakfast in the station.

The reception and corridors of the hotel are really very nice, it wouldnt have looked out of place in a 5 star. I didnt go but some of my party spent time in the hotel bar and were impressed, saying the cocktails were a little pricey but tasty and at least had plenty of bang for the buck. The room wasnt quite up to the same standard as the other areas but was fine. 2 comfy single beds in a twin room. It wasnt big but for central london it wasnt tiny. Nicely decorated, it had an ipod dock, telly (no idea how good it is as we never turned it on). Only negatives were a view of a scafolding, a bit of noise from a nightclub opposite at night and a shower that neither of us could get to do anything more than go from scalding to just about bearably hot.

Staff were fine.

We got a great deal on it too, £100 a night with no breakfast, for this price in its location it is a steal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear bigchiefally,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us and that they were able to enjoy Reunion, our new Champagne and Cocktail bar.

I am sorry that you had a view of the scaffolding from your room, I am pleased to say that apart from a very small section the restoration works of the outside of the building have now been completed and the scaffolding removed.

I have asked my Head Housekeeper to ensure all of the shower controls are checked to make sure these are working correctly.

Thank you again for the feedback and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Reviewed April 15, 2012

Location is good the hotel is part of Victoria station and within walking distance of Buck palace and Hyde park .
The room we had was clean and Comfortable although lacking a shower Curtain which was fitted at the second time of asking .
The manager was genuinely apologetic And sent a free bottle of wine to our room.
The main entrance is very grand, reception lounge and bar staff very polite and attentive .
Breakfast is a buffet with lots to choose from ,full English ,fruit crossiants etc .
In general the hotel is very good and would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Martinpoole290,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I have passed this on to my team

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed here for one night whilst on business. Entrance is very grand and the check in process should have been efficient as there are several receptionists available but for whatever reason it took them a while to find my reservation.

I has allocated a "Wing room" which did take some finding but it was comfortable,well equiped, quiet and compact. Full bathroom, nice toiletries, flat screen TV etc so everything you need. Travelling alone I felt safe and secure.

Breakfast next morning (8.30 am)was a little disappointing and I had to queue for almost 10 minutes to get a table. I worked out that this was due to the fact that part of the restaurant was was being used for a meeting or conference - not very good and I wonder how often this happens. The staff did apologise but really not good enough.

When I was seated, no one explained how breakfast worked, where things were but I investigated and found the food area. The hot breakfast was
only fair and some dishes were empty and food was just warm.

Certainly a convenient location for business or leisure as next to Victoria station. Perhaps I was just unlucky. Would stay again and hope it works out better next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dear Ibizababe123,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that the location of the Hotel suited your needs.

I am sorry that your breakfast experience was a little disappointing, we will review the feedback with the team to see what changes can be made. Whilst we do use the Lounge for private events from time to time this of course should not cause delay for other guests when taking breakfast.

Following guest feedback we have recently installed additional signage to the wing bedrooms to make finding these much easier than before. We have also added a small Hotel floor plan to part of our check in process to make finding the wing rooms and getting around the Hotel in general much easier.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Naples, Italy
Reviewed April 14, 2012

3-day stay. Smack centre. Very classy hotel recently renovated. Walk to Buckingham Palace or go anywhere from your room or after a cool breakfast through a cool passageway directly to 24/7 Victoria station. Sundays work fine too. With a group of Italians, you got Westminster Cathedral for mass 30 sec. away. Book historical Albert Pub for dinner. 10 min. and you're there. On foot. Alan

Room Tip: no problem on lower floors
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Alan D,

Thank you for your fantastic Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased that the Hotel location was well suited for your group. Our entrance directly on to Victoria Station concourse is indeed most useful!

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

HERTFORDSHIRE
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed recently at The Grosvenor with some friends. Refurbished rooms are excellent, roomy and tastefully thought out. The bathrooms are also well done and everything is clean, good housekeeping standards. Soundproofing from the train station is also excellent, wouldn't even know there was a station next door.
The service is good but not quite 5 star. We were served warm bottled beer and luke warm white wine in the 2nd floor lounge by very friendly staff, a bit of training and they will sort that problem out.
The staff in the cocktail bar were also very pleasant but again just missing the extra motivation to be the best. My friend asked for a peppermint tea when we returned from dinner, only to be told they didn't do that in the bar. Exceptional 5 star standard staff would have gone and sorted it without any problem.
Overall, excellent hotel that could be outstanding with a bit more attention on the service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear TOMMO14,

Thank you for your great Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay

I have discussed your feedback regarding the Executive Lounge and the Reunion bar with my team and we will ensure additional training this week focuses on these points

Thank you once again for the feedback and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Washington State
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My daughter booked us to London from Bonn for a two nights stay with theater tickets. She went on a last minute site and got the Grosevenor Hotel bundled with Wicked...tickets for 5...two rooms...two nights all for under 1,000Euros. But the best part...we flew into Gatwick....the train from Gatwick into London goes DIRECT to Victoria Station! Our info said the hotel was "near" Victoria Station. We were trying to figure out which way to walk to reach it when we spotted a tiny sign over a little door saying "Grosevenor Hotel Money Exchange"....could it be? This door led from the station DIRECTLY into the hotel! How much more convenient could it be?!!!
And it was a delightful hotel...just blocks from Buckingham Palace...across the street from the Hop on Hop Off bus stop. Across the street from the theater where Wicked was playing. And SUCH an easy way to get to and from the hotel from Gatwick.
Though it WAS a little disconcerting when our 6 year old would hop off the metro at Victoria Station and holler "We're HOME!"

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Seattle07
Dear Seattle07,

Thank you for your fantastic Tripadvisor review.

It is always great to receive such positive feedback and I was really pleased to see that you had a great trip to London

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future