“OK but it could be otherwise.”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #188 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Athens, Greece
“OK but it could be otherwise.”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights during a business trip this month. Ideally located, near most of the agencies I had to visit, and also very close to great tourist attractions (Buckingham Palace, St James Park - amazing at this time of year etc.). Blessed with excellent weather the whole time, London couldn't seem better. Hotel lies next to Victoria Station, which is also a great plus. My room was fine, however this was due to luck: I had booked a room for one person and inititally got an extremely small room in the third floor, little more than a box, where I could barely move and immediately felt depressed. Luckily the room didn't habe a safe, and when I asked for one, I was moved to another room, double the size, in the sixth floor. The first room was really unacceptable for a hotel of this categorie and if I hadn't been moved, my rating would be much lower. The new room was quite pleasant and seemingly recently refurbished, so I have nothing to complain about. Coffee facilities and water in the fridge came handy. Breakfast was excellent and I can't agree on this with other reviewers on this site. I also found the service quite adequate. So all in all a good stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms for one person!
1 Thank PeripateticJohn
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear PeripateticJohn,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that your breakfast was excellent.

I was also pleased to read that we were able to upgrade your room for your stay. We do have a small amount of single rooms in the Hotel that are between 16 to 20m2 and whilst these are very competitively priced due to the size these can be a little small for more than a short stay.

Our standard rooms are from 20 to 27m2, deluxe rooms from 27 to 29m2 and our Executive rooms are a minimum of 30m2 and so we offer a range of room types to suit all budgets.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Warwickshire
Reviewed April 3, 2012

The hotel staff that I had any dealings with were exceptionally polite. Check in was good, location great, but a long trek to the hotel bedroom on the 7th floor. This was a big downside to me and my family as we kept on getting lost due to poor directional signage. You also had to use two lifts, sometimes stairs, long corridors, etc to get to our bedrooms which in fairness to the hotel, were probably the furthest away from reception. We were truely p***** off when we went all the way down the stairs only to find the exit at the bottom was a fire escape and didn't lead to the land of the living. Consequently we had to plan our ascent back up keeping our eyes open for signs of life. The massive hotels of Las Vegas are easier to navigate around. Therefore avoid the wing building and the top floor as the secondary lift (the only one that goes to the 7th floor is inadequate and only holds a couple of tubby people + one case).The bar was expensive but that's London I suppose - try the Victoria pub across the road which is reasonable. Overall opinion - nice staff but slightly over priced.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear 5hesk,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that my team were polite and that the location of the Hotel suited your visit to London.

I am sorry that you found getting around the Hotel to be a challenge. We are currently in the process of adding additional signage to direct guests to the Grosvenor wing from the main building.

Clearly from your feedback we still have some work on this to make the directions clearer, I appreciate the honest feedback regarding this and I have passed this to the team that are working on the signage to see what additional signs are needed.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Plano, Texas
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel is literally on top of Victoria Station - which runs 3 tube lines letting you get to nearly any part of the city without changing trains. As the desk clerk to show you the unmarked back door that leads directly into the station without even having to go out on the street.

It's also in the heart of the theater district and quite literally in the Queen's backyard - a very short walk to Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guards. Look at the address - 101 Buckingham Palace Road - now that's really close to royalty!

My family of 5 squeezed into 2 typically European sized rooms - but we were comfortable.

You can tell this place has a lot of history - different floors connecting on different levels and staircases as confusing as Harry Potter's Hogwarts. But it's charming in its own way.

While I was visiting - London was being ripped apart for the upcoming Olympics - so this whole area had scaffolding on it and jackhammers started right around daybreak - I would love to go back and see this place after all that work gets done.

Stay here for the location - it's worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ray M
Dear Ray M,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that the location of the Hotel suited your needs

We have now completed the £20 million refurbishment of the Hotel and have re branded the Hotel to join the Guoman collection

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel often in the past merely because of its ideal location (attached to Victoria train station), even though the rooms I had been given were definitely not value for money. Since becoming part of the Guoman Hotels chain however, I can see real improvements (rooms are better equipped, bathrooms seem to have been renovated too), the floors are cleaner, toiletries much better than before and the food is better too. The renovation of the facade that's going on at the moment is a bit irritating because there is no direct sunlight and it's very difficult to push up the window. What puzzled me was why workers were working during the night - there was hammering or a similar noise even after midnight (the noise may have come from the Victoria Station, not sure).

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet and lighter room especially while the facade is still being renovated.
2 Thank fillout
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear fillout,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that the refurbishment works here have met with your approval.

I have noted your comments with regards to the noise from the Victoria station works and we will review this with the Station team in our weekly meetings.

Please do feel free to drop me a note if you have a future visit planned and I look forward to welcoming you back.

My personal e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night on business. Was lucky to get a quiet room but would agree rooms are difficult to find. Facilities in room ok, nothing special but comfortable. Food in Brasserie restaurant also average, overpriced and fairly dreadful service, slow and unfriendly. Breakfast frankly horrible, have had better in a premier inn and again the service was poor.

Reunion bar cocktails are fun and it's a very attractive setting but yet again the service not up to standard.

Concierge was the only member of staff who seemed (a) pleased to be there or (b) to have any concept that helping customers is a hotel's number one priority. I guess the place suffers from being in a location that means most people stay only one night but if they improved the service they could at least ensure that more people would be likely to return. I wouldn't.

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank apindliau
Dear apindliau,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

Please accept my apologies that my team did not demonstrate our normally high levels of customer service during your visit.

This is of course most disappointing and I have fed this back to my team to ensure that the appropriate action is taken.

I was also disappointed to read that you would not wish to return to the Hotel as I am sure we would be able to re-assure you of our normally high standards on a future visit, please do feel free to contact me personally if I can assist further in any way.

My personal e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Flitwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2012

What a wonderful hotel! I stayed at The Grosvenor for 3 nights and had a lovely time. The staff were extremely professional and attentive to detail. Great location. Very comfortable bedroom. The food, especially the Chinese restaurant, was out of this world - excellent chef. Speacial thanks to Ciaren, Karen and Sara - what a lovely team! Will definately be going back. Thank you!

Dear Nicky P,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

It is always a pleasure to receive such great feedback and I have passed this on to my team (with a special mention for Ciaran, Sara and Karen)

I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed your meal in the Grand Imperial

I look forward to welcoming you back

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed in the Grosvenor Hotel on the weekend 16th to 19th March as part of a Pipe Band in London for the St Patricks Day Parade.
The hotel is very central and only about 500 meteres from St James Park, it also has an entrance from the concourse of Victoria Station.
The staff were very helpful throughout the hotel, nothing was a problem. The room was very clean and although a bit on the small size was ample enough for a city hotel, the jet shower was just what the body needed after a day walking around the city.
There was enough food available for breakfast to cater for everybodys taste.
It was excellent value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear bfq,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you had a good stay and I have passed your comments on to my team.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back next year for the St Patricks Day Parade!