“Shame about the service....”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #187 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Sussex
“Shame about the service....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

An apparently newly refurbished room had a malfunctioning TV loudspeaker, both overhead showers not working and a bathroom fan stuck in the on position overnight.

As my company was paying, I decided to put up with those things.

But not wanting to eat in the restuarant left slim pickings from the few choices on offer with room service, which includes a rip off rate for a meal which must include a drink. I didn't want a drink but had to have orange juice anyway.

The food came fifteen minutes later than promised, was luke warm and guess what - no orange juice, nor the glass of ice I ordered.

When I complained, they took off the tray charge, so I paid 23 GBP for tepid sausages and mash and a stingy side dish of vegetables. I didn't have the time to argue as I was running late - because complaining takes time.

I hate it when posh, expensive hotels limit your choices and then don't deliver on what they demand you have! Shan't recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Benjiburner
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear Citreon92,

Thank you for your tripadvisor feedback.

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing stay.

I was really disappointed that we were not able to speak to you before you left the Hotel or before you posted your review as I am confident that we would have been able to rectify the issues that you experienced.

Please feel free to drop me an e-mail as I would certainly like to speak personally to try to restore your faith in the Grosvenor.

My personal e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

I look forward to speaking to you.

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Estonia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed here for four nights in February and was very happy with it. The room was good size and the bed especially comfortable - huge king size with 6 pillows. Still only used one :)
Bathroom was great too. London hotel bathrooms can get a bit cramped but this was ample size, equipped with a great shower cubicle.
Used the gym too in the wing - it was small and basic but clean and fills your needs if you want to jog on a treadmill or use the rowing machine or spinning cycle. Think I saw some weights there as well.
Was very happy with the service too - polite, quick and friendly.
The only thing that wasn't particularly impressive was the breakfast. It wasn't bad, just... completely average. The buffet selection is quite small and while there's nothing wrong with the food, you cannot claim it's wonderful either. Coffee was actually quite bad, I have to say... And since coffee and toast is served by the breakfast waiting staff who seem to be very busy, you can sometimes go unnoticed for the most part of your breakfast before they actually get to you with coffee and toast. I definitely wouldn't pay extra for that breakfast - it's WAY too pricey!
But everything else in Grosvenor is great, I can warmly recommend!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Applefee
Dear Rigafan,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay

I have spoken with my Restaurant and Kitchen team at some length regarding your feedback about breakfast and we are in the process of making changes in this area following guest feedback. I have also asked for the coffee we are serving to be reviewed.

victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

Sorry....this review is for an Sept 2011 stay......time has gotten away from me !
I booked a twin room for daughter and self for 3 nights. And, in light of other reviews.....we 'scored' !.
We received nicely refurbished room overlooking the bus terminal for the train station. The room was spacious, comfortable beds, clean, quiet. Bathroom functioned well. We had breakfast on one occassion, and enjoyed the dining space. The breakfast food was the general fare and it was fresh, tasty and filling.....
The location is 'walking' convenient.

Room Tip: Because the room quality seems hit and miss.......I would advise those booking a room to be direct a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank florafen
Dear florafen,

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay

I am pleased to say that we have now completed the refurbishment of all of our bedrooms as part of the £20 million pound restoration project here at the Grosvenor

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel to see the finished product!

Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Stayed in the hotel in February for one night after a long flight ,from Gatwick.Choiced the hotel because of its situation next to Victoria station,got a winter promotion but the price we paid was not that ceap-120 pounds for a night.So we expected a nice room with a good sleep bed,as many people described.Arrived early,at 9 am and got the room atonce which was a good bonus after
airplane,but the room was in wing building and very small crampy,so we were not happy with the room.The door was almost next to the bed and you could see the light from the corridor,so the noise heard,clapping doors,steps..also you could hear your neighbours talk due to not wellclosed doors.Very silly water system in bathroom,long time we didnt get hot water,so weird staff.When you know it,you maybe dont realise,that if someone is tired and doesnt know how it works,it can be trouble.Then a man came to explane.But I didnt get really hot water for bath anyway,just warm.Doubtful was also the cleanliness of the blanquet,but we were so tired to complain,just get a sleep.Very bad narrow hard pillows,I couldnt get a sleep.Called later,then they changed for better ones.Cant complain about the service,it was friendly and helpful.But the room we stayed made us feel not well there.Were on the 6th floor.For the money we paid, I expected much better and am a little disappointed in Grosvenor.I think,the rooms there are different and if you are lucky,you will get a good one.Overall the hotel is in a good place and looks nice inside.Many eating places near,also theatres for musicals.And the main reason -easy to get Gatwick.

Room Tip: try to get a room in the main building,not a wing room!
1 Thank ailibre
Dear ailibre,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review

I was really pleased to your positive comments regarding my team and I have passed these on.

I was also pleased to read that our proximity to Gatwick Airport suited your needs, with an entrance directly on to the station concourse and the Gatwick express leaving every 15 minutes from Victoria this is a great feature for the Hotel.

I have passed your valuable feedback regarding your room on to my Front Office team and Housekeeping and they will ensure the appropriate action is taken.

Thank you again for the feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Marske U.k.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed here as a family, booking two double rooms. My wife and I were upgraded due to a misunderstanding with our booking. Our room was lovely and a decent size. Even our two daughters had a great room next door to us. The hotel is spotless and the new owners have obviously spent a great deal in refurbishment retaining the character of this very impressive building. As we were meeting our eldest daughter at Victoria Station the location was perfect with a side entrance away from the main lobby leading onto the station concourse. However there is no noise evident whatsoever from the station within the hotel. The breakfast was superb with plenty to tempt every palate. It kept me going for most of Sunday ! Walking distance to Buckingham Palace, Sloane Square, Knightsbridge and theatres as well as several good eateries make this hotel a superb base for a weekend.....or even longer !

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor room as the main street is quite noisy.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CookieMarskeU_K_
Dear CookieMarskeU_K_,

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay

I look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully for a longer stay!

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Good location, nice decor, rooms a good size, but we were booked into a twin instead of a double. With no doubles available we paid the extra £30 for an 'executive' room with a king size bed. Was then surprised to find that the king size bed was infact two single beds pushed together, with two seperate mattresses on top, therefore providing the inevitable uncomfortable dip in the middle! Stupidly, we did not complain immediately, as we had to be somewhere. On returning and attempting to sleep the gap kept getting wider and it became apparent that they were not even bolted together at the head end! As it was now late evening, we chose to wait until check out in the morning to raise that we were not particularly happy with effectively being mis-sold the room and paying an extra £30 to end up with the same situation of twin beds pushed together.

On check out, I attempted to politely ask for my £30 to be refunded, but was cut short by the receptionist. On second attempt, we were told we should have raised it immediately, and were made to feel in the wrong. The receptionist seemed to take it somewhat personally and was rather rude and extremely unfriendly. She did agree to refund the charges and quickly dismissed us! I am waiting to see if I have been charged. I will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Make sure your bed comes in one piece!
1 Thank sarah_201w
Dear sarah_201w,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review

I was very disappointed to read that the bed in our Executive room did not meet your expectations. We do indeed have a number of Executive rooms that have “zip and link” beds which allow them to be split into twins or to be made as a 2 meter by 2 meter king size bed. These beds are purpose made and should provide maximum comfort for guests but I have asked my Housekeeper to review these to see what added comfort can be added in light of your comments.

I was surprised to read that my team at the Front desk did not offer the high levels of Customer service with which we pride ourselves, this will be communicated to my Front Office Manager for him to review.

Please feel free to contact me personally if you should require any further assistance, my e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Accidentally booked the wrong date for our stay at the Grosvenor but the friendly staff where very helpful in moving our booking. We arrived at 11.30am but were still able to check-in to our room. The room itself (a standard double) was of more than ample size and really well furnished. Bathrobes were even available on request to housekeeping! We couldn't say enough about this hotel, the staff were fantastic the location couldn't have been more central and the hotel was very luxurious with its huge chandeliers and large lobby. Highly recommended to anyone staying in central London. We'll definitely be back again soon.

1 Thank Jasont84
Dear Jasont84,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I have passed this on to the team

I look forward to welcoming you back soon