“Good location, terrible service.”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #187 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Good location, terrible service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Grosvenor through a lastminute.com secret hotel deal and were initially very pleasantly suprised - the room was lovely (clean, modern, nice shower etc.) and the location perfect for all the things we wanted to do/see whilst in London.

Unfortunately, on the first night, we were woken up at 3 AM by a fire alarm and had to evacuate the building - bit annoying but, fair enough, these things happen. Having returned to our room and finally got back to sleep we were then woken by another fire alarm at 6 AM - slightly more annoyed this time, as we had now had a completely disturbed night of sleep, we reluctantly evacuated again. The following day, a generic letter came through our bedroom door, to 'thank' us for our co-operation during the evacuations, but offering no explanation or indeed apology!

Feeling fairly agreived by the fact that we had had a completely ruined night of sleep, on what was meant to be a relaxing break, we were sure that the hotel would offer us something to restore our faith in the Grosvenor. However, when it came to checking out we found the staff completely reluctant to offer even an explanation of the two fire alarms, let alone any gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience caused. After having a long conversation with one member of staff, she was clearly unhandle to handle the situation and rudely passed us on to a colleague who then made us repeat everything that had already been said. The staff were off-hand and incompetent in dealing with this issue, just repeatedly stating that 'it was a precautionary measure and no compensation could be offered'.

We fully understand the need to evacuate the building in the case of a fire alarm, for our own safety BUT, in the aftermath, the hotel completely refused to take ownership for the problem. As a business, they should have taken responsibility for the fact that the hotel had failed to serve its purpose (ie. to get some sleep!).

Eventually, we were told that perhaps we should 'email lastminute.com with our complaint'! (Great service from the Grosvenor!)

If it hadn't been for the rude and incompetent way in which our problem had been adressed, we would have been prepared to forget about the disturbed night of sleep and use this hotel again because of the great locaton - safe to say that won't now be happening.

1 Thank Cards20
TGHV, General Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear Cards20,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review.

Firstly please accept my apologies for the disturbed night’s sleep that you encountered after we had to evacuate the Hotel due to our fire alarms being activated. I am also sorry that my Front Desk team did not handle this the way in which would have been expected upon your departure.

Unfortunately as you quite rightly mention we did have to evacuate the Hotel twice during the first night of your stay, whilst I am pleased to say this is a most uncommon occurrence the health and safety of our guests is paramount and if the alarms do sound we will evacuate the Hotel fully. Whilst I was pleased you received our letter the following day I am sorry you feel this did not offer enough explanation and an appropriate apology. I have asked for this to be re-worded immediately following your feedback.

I would be more than happy to discuss your feedback further and please feel free to contact me personally, my e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

I look forward to hearing from you

Michael Parker – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

Great location when arriving from Gatwick via Gatwick Express to Victoria, you can enter the hotel from within the station. I arrived at 10 AM and my room was not yet ready, they offered to have it cleaned right away but since I chose to leave my luggage with them and return in the afternoon. I had a single room which was very comfortable (great bed!). Staff was friendly, great bathroom. Did not have breakfast.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear TC-SE,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review.

It is always great to read such positive feedback and I have passed this on to my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Grosvenor

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

We booked a vip suite in this hotel for our silver wedding anniversary for a 3 night stay.
Accomodation was as described except the underfloor heating in the bathroom was not working, which made it uncomfortable as the outside temperature was -5C. We rep
orted the problem to reception but never heard anything about it again.The rooms are supposed to be sound proofed but on the second night we were kept awake by a nightclub opposite which played music until 5.40 am.We checked out a day early as we were so tired and just wanted to go home.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the front of the hotel to get some sleep!
Dear ajames2746,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review.

Please accept my apologies that your silver wedding anniversary stay was not more memorable for the right reasons

I have asked my Housekeeping and Engineering team to check the under floor heating in all of the rooms, whilst this does only come on when the room is occupied this should indeed heat the bathroom floors quickly.

I was disappointed to read that you were disturbed on the second night of your stay, we have recently installed new windows and double glazing in our rooms which has reduced outside noise greatly, I have asked my team to review the noise levels this weekend to see if we can take any further actions to reduce this.

I am pleased to say that your disappointing stay is certainly not a true reflection of our normally high standards and please feel free to contact me personally to review your feedback further as I am sure on a future visit we would be able to restore your faith in the Hotel

My personal e-mail address is michael.parker@guoman.com

I look forward to hearing from you

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

We decided upon this hotel for 3 reasons, reasonable price, location and the refurb. We had booked all delux rooms but this seemed to be a bit of a miss mass at check in and all the rooms i saw were of different size and location. We did not eat at the hotel as we had too many tastes to cater for though i did have the best gin based cocktail in many a time. One of the ingredients was lychees, yummy. The staff were very helpful, from reception to chamber maids and we even had to have an engineer for the heating but as it was way below zero and snowing outside we were a little cold but this was remedied very quickly. Overall i liked it, bed was comfy, tea coffee etc, bathrobes,slippers and elemis toiletries my favourite. I will definately stay again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear charlietraveller57,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that your girl’s weekend away was successful and that you were able to enjoy our new Champagne and Cocktail Bar, Reunion.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel

North England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I stayed in The Grosvenor last year whilst it was undergoing modernisation. It was chosen as the best deal option through a Superbreak theatre trip. I was very impressed at the location.

When I needed another hotel in London this year, I didn't even bother looking at other hotels. I find London quite stressful and the last thing I need is to worry about finding the hotel or what it will be like. I was pleased I opted to repeat my experience. Yet again, great service, great rooms (so quiet considering next to station) and great location!

I wouldn't hesitate in staying there again - I just hope the price remains reasonable!

Dear LKG2008,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review.

It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I have passed your kind comments on to my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on your next visit to London

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

What a lovely, exclusive and intimate venue at the Grosvenor Hotel, Grand Imperial. Victoria on Friday night.10th February 2012

The food is simply to die for, Dim Sum........ wow!! what more do I really need to say.

PianomanTim, he was playing out of this world Piano,jazz, blues his own style really, even got to speak to him afterwards.(.-------------------------) said I would look him up, Amazing vibes!!

Went upstairs to the Reunion bar - The Grosvenor is the new secret venue for those in the Know!! WHAT A WONDERFULL PACKAGE FOR US - I just had to say something.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

We got the room for a really cheap deal so we wern't expecting it to be very good but we were pleasently suprised.

As the title says the service we experianced was great, we didn't try any food or drinks but the reception and concierge service was all you could hope for.

The location is a stones throw from Victoria station and their are also a couple of theatres in the area currently showing Wicked and Billy Elliot. We saw Wicked and I can definitely recommend it, fantastic show.

The rooms themselves have character but are also well furnished with nearly everything you could require whilst on your trip, the only thing we couldn't find was a hairdryer but I brought one along so it wasn't a problem. They were spotless and the beds were comfy, big tv and we didn't experiance any noise from the nearby traffic or station.

Overall I would stay again for sure and at the price we paid we will extend the trip to London next time.

Room Tip: Get a travelcard from the station for unlimited travel on tube and buses within Zones 1 and 2.
1 Thank mand_88
Dear mand_88,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the trip to London.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.