“not my cup of tea”

Ranked #878 of 1,069 Hotels in London
durham
“not my cup of tea”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked a trip to London through a travel agent and ended up with this hotel. The first thing I will say is that it is in a great location - very central. Also, the staff were okay especially in the breakfast area - I did witness people being really quite unpleasant to them and in my opinion, you get back what you give out. The breakfast itself wasn't as bad as made out by some people - it is advertised as continental and although I would have expected more variety it wasn't horrendous. I also realised that for the price I paid this hotel would be basic - that is fine, but this was dirty. The first day we arrived we found cockroaches in our extremely shabby room. I did go and ask to be moved and we were moved without any fuss. The receptionist never batted an eyelid - she knew what we were going to say. The room we were moved to was still basic but much cleaner and more up to date, but really the cockroaches spoilt it for us. The place was also extremely noisy, didn't bother us much but would be awful if you had young children. It wasn't a place I'd go to any more and I think they need to up their levels of cleanliness.

1 Thank maddy f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel for two nights recently, booked as a package to see a theatre show. The first room we were given had a horrid smell, we couldnt locate where it was coming from as it hit you as soon as you walked in, we complained, and was given another room which didnt smell, But the rooms are very basic, dim, dowdy and in need of being updated, we were very disappointed, Premier Inn are much nicer and much cheaper. All I can say is that the breakfast was nice, and thats about all. Dont stay here, theres much nicer places for the same price or cheaper, beware. x

Room Tip: Dont think there are any
Dubai
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Every other year I return to London and usually stay at the Royal National. This is the last time though. Each time, it is more and more expensive for a budget hotel (budget by London prices) and it never gets any better. There's still no wi-fi or USB internet connection in the rooms. There's only wi-fi in the reception area, which is constantly inundated with people because it is such a large hotel and, the internet is so bloody slow. I was in east africa recently and the wi-fi, in the places I stayed, was so much faster.
As for the rooms, cramped. And I dunno how old the mattress was but it felt like I was sleeping on a soggy old victoria sponge.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Moyse
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Booked this hotel through a travel agent so hadn't checked reviews beforehand. Awful!! We are a family with 3 children. The room was noisy to begin with with the street and air vents from surrounding buildings but during the night-time was unbelievable. People banging on guests doors,others singing and running down the corridors. Take away food packaging left in the hall. They were obviously allowed to enter the building in this state as I could first hear them shouting in the quad! We didn't get much sleep the whole 4 nights we were there and then we got a 6.30 wake up call we didn't order!!

1 Thank minimoo3
glasgow
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here for one night midweek during a visit to London for a football match. Despite arriving before midday, we were checked in promptly and given the keys to our room. The hotel is huge and split into 2halfs.
The room was basic with 2single beds a small tv and dressing table. We didn't spend much time in the hotel but seemed to have a nice bar.
Location was good with easy access to Russell square tube. This hotel is ideal for a easy budget stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 16, 2013

do not even try to visit the web page of that hotel!!! unacceptable!!! the awfullest hotel i have ever been!!! not breakfast, not any good service, no good sleep, dirty just a mess !!! please try another hotel!!! when we arrived there they asked us to pay 20 pounds extra in order, if we damage anything not to give our money back, not only that we were remaining about an hour to give us our room!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
østfol
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Lobby crowded with noise and WiFI users. Staff seems uninterested in your appearance. Swimming pool charged £10/6 only mid day open to children.Way to the room without indications (room numbers/directions). Loud noise from hotels outside fans annoying through the night. Room full of dust around all floors / under beds. Towels with old spots. No wi-fi at available in room. Constantly noise in the morning from maintenance workers. Staff knocked on the door, locking themself in at 8 a.m. !!! Breakfast: not what you would expect from a 3 star hotel (To call this a 3 star hotel is a scam).Breakfast area has a noise level that reminds of a factory with tooling machines. The low-level quality of the breakfast makes you happy to leave the area anyway....
DON'T book in for this hotel unnless you like an awful hotel experience !!!

Room Tip: Velge et i et annet hotell....