“Excellent value for money”

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #884 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Paid for a triple room for two nights with my friends as we were having a sight seeing weekend.....for the price I wasn't expecting much but this hotel is ideal. Very clean and friendly staff and in a great location. Only down side was the massive que for breakfast so we just had it out. The pub next door is good for cheap larger too. I will definitely be back next year

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (8,394)

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This has to be the biggest hotel I've ever stayed in. You're just another number in this place.

It can be quite a challenge to find your room, which isn't very surprising because there are 1600 of them. The room itself is a bit outdated, but all in all it was okay.

During the night it can be quite noisy, but if you use earplugs you should be fine.

Breakfast was nothing special (toast with jam, coffee and juice), if you want an English breakfast you'll have to pay extra.

The location of this hotel is the biggest plus.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Myself and three friends stayed here last weekend and although for such a big hotel the check-in was reasonably quick, our rooms were not clean. The drawers in one room had food in it and there were bread rolls under the bed. I don't think the floor had been hoovered for some time. Breakfast is an experience I would not want to repeat. As it is such a big hotel, people cram in to the self service restaurant and struggle to find a seat. It is a budget hotel - very much so.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in this old huge hotel a while ago. Check-in was slow althought there were not many guests. Our room was very small and furnishings and bathroom were pretty old. Beds were small and uncomfortable. There was a small television in the room with only a few channels. Our room was facing the courtyard, hence it was quiet inside. Breakfast was very limited in variety and quality below par. Only positive aspect of this hotel is its location close to Russell Square tube station. There is a post office and some restaurants and pubs within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel was actually recommended by the travel agent. She had stayed here. Her description was very different from the real thing. Only thing she got right was that it was a 10 minute walk from the station and central. Staff very unhelpful, asked the conceirge if we needed to book to dine pre theatre at Planet Hollywood and was told you can take a taxi outside. Had requested a quiet room so we were given a room backing onto the courtyard where the air conditioning units were located. Also over where they held two nights in a row a disco. two tea bags provided in the room. first night we had a bath mat and four towels. Next two days we had only 3 towels and no bath mat. The shower over the bath operated by the bath taps and you could not operate without getting your hair wet. no info given in the room of any numbers to ring to contact anyone ie: reception or porters. no info on the channels that could be obtained on the tv. No info on anything that you could visit whilst in London. Breakfast full english - warmest item was the baked beans. The continental breakfast was a joke. Toast spongy and cold. bread rolls, jam and marmalade or cornflakes, museli and bran flakes. The management obviously have never been abroad and had a continental breakfast. This was a trip to celebrate my birthday and was spoilt, This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. On the day we were checking out - check out time11am but at 9am housekeeping knocked on the door wanting to know how soon we would be leaving!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 2 nights in april mid week. Our room was clean had hot water and a hair dryer we both had a comfortable few nights sleep. Breakfast was nice but on thr first morning there was no where for us to sit as it was very busy so we ended up having to share with someone. The hotel is very big and the breakfast area does not seem big enough for the size of the hotel also if you did not get down early there would be a big que to get in mostly made up with school children just to get in for breakfasr. This did not put us off would probably stay here again. Also tge hotel is in Great location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked this hotel through contiki, and when I walked into the room there was someone else in it!! No one told me I would be sharing. I don't have a problem with sharing it's just I was never told so it was a bit of a shock to me! The hallways are grotty and dated. The room is clean but could use an upgrade. Room was quite noisy as it faced the street. Also, the hotel is MASSIVE. Finding your room can be quite difficult, took me about 15 mins haha. Location is good no complaints there, just avoid if you can because there are better hotels out there. I wouldn't have stayed here if I wasn't travelling with contiki.

• Stayed: April 2013